Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

hahaha thats my picture right there, you got it from selvedgeforum right ? never thought i'd see my pic here lol

i got this pair since last august but actually wore them for like 8 months

i'll try to post a picture of the front soon. :)

yup, selvedgeforum.. i love how i post someone from theres pic and then they come on here.. lol.. cause i cant read thai and the translator thing i tried using sucked and made no sense.. nice pair, btw.. everyday use? or in rotation? yeah, a pic of the front of them would be cool! i dont think jb has really taken off over here (the states) yet.. people seem to be just barely buying them now..

Edited by jus schilling

BrownMetallic:

Could you post a full update on your 0701's?

sure ... ie, when i pick them up at my sister's in Los Angeles next week.

the 701 photo above was from my photo bank__ taken about 4mos ago.

they just got washed recently, so will mosdef post update when available :)

Picked up a pair of these at BiG a few weeks back. Decided I would not bother with a soak (on their advice) and had a few inches chopped off the leg. Wore them for the first time out of the house yesterday for a trip to the pub, and my sister knocked a FULL PINT of f**king Litovel Lager into my lap. Dried over the course of the evening, and the stench of dried-in beer was horrible. Got home drunk, and stuck them in the bath.

If they've shrunken too much to wear I'm disowning her.

I was seriously considering a pair of JB 100 or 101 but decided to wait until the new fits come out. Has anybody noticed the new measurements on Blueowl? 10 inch thigh on a 32waist!!!! Is that even possible? Hopefully once the new fits actually hit the store the measurements will be accurate. While I'm here what's the slimmest fit in the mono (not JP) line?

I was seriously considering a pair of JB 100 or 101 but decided to wait until the new fits come out. Has anybody noticed the new measurements on Blueowl? 10 inch thigh on a 32waist!!!! Is that even possible? Hopefully once the new fits actually hit the store the measurements will be accurate. While I'm here what's the slimmest fit in the mono (not JP) line?

i'd rather eat a cheeseburger and rock some 201s.

Slimmest Momotaro offers is the 0705SP or 0701. Both are actually the same cut, only the 0705 comes in one wash, while the 0701 is raw (and thus will shrink if soaked/washed).

Kayodic, I know there is a distinct separation of the brands. I always stick to slim fits so was asking which momo is the slimmest so I can research before considering spending the extra money on the premium line. No point spending the money if they don't fit right! Not a hipster and love the momo's brand but regular/ 'heritage' cuts don't suit me! My first point was that the new sizing guides on the new JB fits must be off as a ten inch thigh on a 32waist would surely cut of circulation!

Kayodic, I know there is a distinct separation of the brands. I always stick to slim fits so was asking which momo is the slimmest so I can research before considering spending the extra money on the premium line. No point spending the money if they don't fit right! Not a hipster and love the momo's brand but regular/ 'heritage' cuts don't suit me! My first point was that the new sizing guides on the new JB fits must be off as a ten inch thigh on a 32waist would surely cut of circulation!

Well Japan Blue has been introduced to go head-to-head with other mid-tier denims, Offering good denim (and characteristics) at a reasonable price. So to say, have a bigger share in the market, since JB focusses on the average Joe (no pun intended).

Momotaro is still the denim purists brand for the Japan Blue group and it is on a whole different level than the Japan Blue brand.

Differences are mainly:

Fabric used (Momotaro used strictly zim cotton, while JB doesn't)

Dye used (Momotaro only uses dyestuff fully made of indigo, while the JB's are dyed with a sulphur/indigo mixture).

Fabrication is different (Momotaro mostly is handmade, lot of JB is on a bigger scale e.g. mass production).

Different details (Momotaro features pink inseam, pink selvage outseam, Momotaro hardware. Some of the JB x Momo collabs feature some details from Momotaro: like the pink inseam stitching or battle stripes, however they never come with the pink selvage listing, it's a detail very unique to Momotaro itself).

There could be some more things, but I'm more into Momotaro than JB, though I think they offer great value for money.

Guest INDIGO QUEEN

The denim looks fantastic!!!

I'll definitely consider a pair of these for the future if they age as well as that!!!

I think Japan Blue Group is a denim company and Momotaro is their jeans brand, but that they're pretty big as a producer as well as the Momotaro range.

I have to get my jeans made as I'm very small but my jeans maker can buy their denims and cut them to my size and style preferences.

Look forward to some great fading!!!

The denim looks fantastic!!!

I'll definitely consider a pair of these for the future if they age as well as that!!!

I think Japan Blue Group is a denim company and Momotaro is their jeans brand, but that they're pretty big as a producer as well as the Momotaro range.

I have to get my jeans made as I'm very small but my jeans maker can buy their denims and cut them to my size and style preferences.

Look forward to some great fading!!!

Buy denim as in buy their fabric and construct a pair from scratch. Or just alter a pair?

I have a pair of 0701 in a size thirty that are just too small. I hemmend them 2 inches (not chain stitch) and have yet to soak them and they have hardly any wear. They measure to be about 30 inches. If any one would like to trade for a pair that measure 31after soak in the waist, I would be very interested. I would be interested in 0201 too. I can send pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who's ever in Minnesota should know that a new shop in Minneapolis, Askov Finlayson, is carrying Momotaro (701 and a 2nd pair, which I believe was 201). This place is owned by the Dayton brothers, who apparently have pretty excellent tastes, and it mostly stocks menswear. I'm in town visiting my family right now and we were eating next door at Bachelor Farmer (a ridiculously good restaurant also owned by the Datyons) tonight. My mom was looking at the restaurant before we ate and noticed this shop up front, so she looked around and came back to say "I think you might like these shoes I saw in there". It turns out they were Quoddys, so I ran back to check it out and was shocked to see Momotaro jeans right when I walked through the door. I was already on the market for some new everyday shoes, so I scored some Quoddy Canoe Mocs for a ridiculous $150 (on sale, this is not the normal price) and got to finally try on some Momotaro 701s, which seem like some jeans I'll definitely have to cop in the future when my current PBJs are done. This is a really random tiny shop in Minneapolis that is poorly marked and sort of hard to find, but they have some great stuff in there, including Momo, Quoddy, Fjällräven, Barbour, some cool indigo and chambray shirts, and even some selvedge bags and aprons from Shipley & Sons. If you're in the Twin Cities, definitely check it out.

Edited by cander49

Hey guys so I'm really new to this all.

Currently working on a generic pair of levi's 501 STFs, bought TTS without soaking to see how it'll turn out.

I recently bought a pair of momotaro vintage label 0701s at one of those online summer sales.

So... from what I've been reading you're suppose to size down on raw denim cuz they stretch but size up if its unsanforized because it will shrink on washes so (with 32inches being my true waist measurement) I went for the size 32 which measures at 33 waist according to the website.

My questions is this,

from what i hear you're supposed to delay any soaking or washing for as long as possible,

but if length is too long,

and I'm not supposed to hem before wash,

should I give it an initial soak? or do I just live with the length and roll it up or something?

Thanks all!