THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

Rogue territory's jackets are pretty long as well. 

i have the Grizzly so will definitely give that the thumbs up. You could try Rogue Territory for slim fit jackets in a variety of materials, but if AW & Railcar are your yardstick then you don't have many other options as these are a longer more modern cut, whereas traditionally jackets are cut short.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input. I think I might pull the trigger on the AW, those hand pockets will get me through the frigid Sydney winters :)

I'm having some major trouble finding a pair to fit correctly.  I had some APC NS in 34, but they were a little too tight in the upper thigh area and slightly small in the waist.  Any recommendations for a larger thigh jean?  Waist needs to be around a 36 too.  Bought some Japan Blue's in 34 (which was supposed to be a ~36 waist) and they were incredibly small in the waist.  I'm really struggling finding any solutions.

don't go by tagged size. this is often very misleading. also, don't buy from anyone online that won't give you actual measurements of the relevant dimensions of a jean (waist, thigh, rise, knee, hem, inseam). i suggest that you stick with sanforized denim (that doesn't shrink) and if you want more specific info regarding brand and cut, you need to give us more info. specifically, what type of fit are you wanting: slim, slim-straight, straight, retro, 1955, 1966? Also as a starting point, please measure a pair of jeans that fit you and comment on where they are too loose/tight. Use this method to measure.

Edited by Al6ert

@yodah - there is also this Momotaro i'd forgotten about. but naturally as an AW advocate i'd say you couldn't go wrong there..

http://www.corlection.com/2014/03/momotaro-copper-label-type-ii-denim.html

cheers okisan...yeah saw they got that in. was going to head down to check it out, but theres always been something about the momo jackets where I've never been able to pull the trigger on them (chest pocket arc, going to battle stripes). my loss i guess cuz it does look quite nice. 

Plus I bought the AW Grizz this morning anyways haha! Will post pics when I get it in, prob in a week or 2. 

Looking for a basic hoodie. Was thinking the one from real McCoy would be good, but it's sold out it seems.

http://www.superdenim.com/prodpage.asp?productid=2863

Any advice on similar items, or where I can buy the McCoy? European sellers are preferred. Quality is priority.

Hmm, I'm kind of getting the feeling the fit is really short any boxy on these. I'm gonna use it for layering under leather jacket, and I can't size up too much due to my figure.

What other hoodies should I be looking it?

^ I really liked the look on Okisans hoodie (check it out in the UES-thread) from UES. Quality seem to be top-notch on all their garments and a great price.  I know it's not a european dealer but I'd say it's definitely worth it. 

http://ues.shop.japaneseselvagejeans.com/index_en_usd_29.html

But if you want a european dealer you could go with a Jelado hoodie from http://nokipple.com/collections/sweats. + Mega and Hectic is running the store and I'd say they know their shit.

So I'm thinking about getting another pair of jeans, but I'm having a tough time deciding.

Here's what I'm considering so far:

Pure Blue Japan XX-009 or XX-007 (undecided on cut)

Fullcount 1108 or 1108XX  (not sure which denim, but the 1108 cut looks nice)

Samurai 710XX

So far I'm leaning towards the lighter weight options as I'm gearing up for another Texas summer.

For the summer, I'd go for the Fullcount 1108 or PBJ 009. I can vouch for the former being breathable and light weight.

However, unless you start on them now, I would hold off breaking in new denim in the warmest months. I started on my FC 1101 last June upon moving to HK and new jeans are still new jeans no matter what the fabric is like, y'know? Better in my opinion to be wearing something you've had on the go throughout the winter and washed a few times rather than dark, raw denim in summer.

I think you're right Sugar Mountain, I'm most likely going to wait and continue to work on my WH 1001 for the summer.

Or if we can get a new pair of FC going I'll just wait for those.

Breaking in new denim in Texas during the summer sure is a pain in the ass, but I've gotten (somewhat) used to it.

Hey guys, i'm considering to go for the momotaro 0702 deep indigo/black version.

Do anyone here own these? How will they fade? Are u sadisfied with its Cut & shrinkage?

Any help is welcomed. Thanks

You can get a glimpse here: http://www.denimarchive.com/2013/03/16/momotaro-jeans-0202/ and there http://blueowlworkshop.blogspot.de/2013/05/denim-fades-momotaro-x-blue-owl-deep.html

I personally think that the 0702 cut is super slim in the thighs, I couldn't make it work. But it sells good, so there's a demand. Wether you would fit it is up to you to decide...

Edited by Max Power

Rogue Territory Stealth SK

or 

3sixteen 220x Double Black

or 

Big John KURO2 Black/Indigo

or 

Japan Blue Tight Straight Black Raw

Looking for the best Black slim/tapered jean. I'm leaning towards the Rogue Territory currently just because it seems to have the best cut from what I've currently seen, but I would love to hear opinions of the others I've listed if anybody has them. I've heard 3sixteens denim is among the absolute best.

I'm having some major trouble finding a pair to fit correctly.  I had some APC NS in 34, but they were a little too tight in the upper thigh area and slightly small in the waist.  Any recommendations for a larger thigh jean?  Waist needs to be around a 36 too.  Bought some Japan Blue's in 34 (which was supposed to be a ~36 waist) and they were incredibly small in the waist.  I'm really struggling finding any solutions.

I would check out Oni low tension tapered. I wear a size 36 and have pretty big thighs, these work pretty well for me. But if those are too pricy I would start getting to know your measurements better. Measure your jeans out BiG style and you'll be better at comparing and contrasting. Another thing to consider is focusing on every measurement except the waist size for a good fit and then get a waist that's better fitting from the get go. If it stretches out too much, get a belt.

Edited by thebottomclef

So I'm having a jeans made and I have to decide on a fabric to use. All choices are sanforized and raw, the only real other info I have is on weight and mill:

- 10oz Kaihara Mill

- 10.5oz Kuroki Mill

- 12.5oz Kurabo Mill

- 13.2oz Cone Mills

or

- 16.7oz Cone Mills

I've more or less ruled out the super light denim already and I'm torn between either the 12.5 Japanese denim or one of the Cone fabrics. Can someone tell me if Kurabo Mill denim is so super nice that it should overrule going with the 16.7oz (and thus getting my first heavier pair)?

I'll be going for a slim cut with slight taper, if that matters at all.

I find cone denim pretty boring in general, though the 16,7 oz sounds interesting. I'd go with the said 12.5 oz. Japan >USA.

Yeah, the oz is the one thing I like about the Cones I guess. Also, I already have a 1947 and a 1955 LVC so another Cone Mills jeans might really get boring ;)

Can you request swatches for the fabrics?

Unfortunately not, no.

/\ that is a real shame, how are you supposed to choose? Are you supplying the denim or the guy making them?

If the denim is from Pacific, which it might well be given your options then they do actually provide swatches. I have ordered in the past into the UK.

This is for a Kickstarter project ("Orijeans"), they made a "web constructor" allowing you to choose a fit, fabric and a few details (stitching, hardware color) for your jeans. You also get to enter your exact measurements and they'll customize the fit to better suit you

They're still in the early stages filling kickstarter pledges so there's no FAQ for the different fabrics they offer, hence the question :) (They're nice and responsive on the site and via email, though. And I'm pretty interested in how those jeans turn out.)

The 16 oz cone denim doesn't look too bad on their homepage. Though I'm not feeling all the kickstarter and crowdfunding homemade selvage projects. Can't point my finger on it, but it lacks some of the "spirituality" compared to ordering a pair straight from Japan, using engrish or google translator. In fact, I'd love to do that now.

The 16 oz cone denim doesn't look too bad on their homepage. Though I'm not feeling all the kickstarter and crowdfunding homemade selvage projects. Can't point my finger on it, but it lacks some of the "spirituality" compared to ordering a pair straight from Japan, using engrish or google translator. In fact, I'd love to do that now.

Well, that sure has more "flair" ;) Most kickstarter denim projects are really lame, that's true, but over the months these guys seemed very passionate and also like they know what they're doing. I ordered a pair yesterday, and I'm very curious how they'll turn out - if they're halfway decent you can't beat bespoke Japanese selvedge denim at that price :)

Some details like hidden rivets or back pocket stitching are still missing from their cuts right now, but we'll see how they refine over time. They do have high ambitions but try to develop their brand slowly, which I find likeable.

But I have to admit, if cost wasn't a factor I'd be ordering "the real deal" from Japan all the time, too ;)