Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

Is this one of those MasterCard commericals? :D

I happen to agree though. I usually wear cheap Uniqlo denim to ride in but shit man, they tear fast.

Heh. Yeah! Nah, I just think people who usually spend 220-280 on a pair of jeans getting spooked by 360 is silly. If the jeans are gonna last virtually forever, or are really special, it's not that far out of the normal BiG/Selfedge range. That being said, I'm willing to starve for clothing.

Which doesn't really explain why I'm still fat.

And if those people were really into cycling, they wouldn't be riding in jeans in the first place.

Last night I had an hour long conversation with one of the founders of MASH and he said exactly the opposite of what you just said.

Nobody that considers fashion important wants to see anybody wearing "biking gear" regardless of the situation.

It seems these jeans are not for you.

There is a group of people that understand why they're pricey and understand the work and time involved with designing and producing something this unique, they're also into cycling, denim, Japanese workwear, and high end garmets. These jeans are for them.

I'm sorry but whoever wants to buy these jeans has nothing better to do with their money.

Yah, they're cool and all, but for that amount I'd rather be riding new wheels

I'm sorry but whoever wants to buy these jeans has nothing better to do with their money.

Yah, they're cool and all, but for that amount I'd rather be riding new wheels

no....whoever wants to buy them actually wants to spend their money on them, rather than on new wheels, for example. it's a matter of personal preference.

How the fuck are people who regularly blow north of $200 dollars on jeans acting like legitimate functionality is a gimmick. As someone who enjoys dry denim, and the burlier the denim the better, but has had one issue after another with crotches blowing out due to riding my bike, I can't think of a more attractive and unique product to hit the market. I am not a bicyclist in the competitive sport sense....meaning I don't go on training rides etc...when get off my bike, I go to class, work, hang out, and thusly have no reason to ride the spandex train. I live in jeans, and I live on my bike, these jeans make that go better.

So no double layer crotch where your sitbones burn two holes through the jeans?

No removal of center crotch seam in favor of a flat panel?

Just a Iron Heart skinny jean?

Just try and put a hole through the Iron Heart denim by riding in them.

I guarantee they'll last multiple times longer than any other denim on earth.

Also, in response to the "no flat panel instead of a seam" comment.. We were still walking a line between functionality and fashion. If we put in a flat panel and made some mutant looking pair of jeans they would have looked atrocious, at that point what's the use? Why not just wear cycling spandex?

What about those of us who have not had any problems w/ torn crotches? (maybe we actually buy jeans that fit).

Well then, these jeans are not for us.

Either, you don't ride much in your jeans, or you don't sweat at all when you ride...maybe both. Crotches blowing while bike riding has infinitely less to do with fit than it does with the fact that you are facilitating abrasion after abrasion after abrasion as you pedal. I'm not trying to convince anyone that these jeans are for them, but trying to write them off as some kind of gimmick is rather narrowminded and completely pointless.

Also, if you spend the kind of cash most people on superfuture do on how they look (clothing to be specific), it seems rather odd that you would throw on some spandex, or cut off dickies or whatever if you wanted to ride your bike somewhere.

Kiya, You got any of those flat head denim shirts in yet?

I have been riding 5+ days for 10 miles every day over the last half year, and I for one am pretty happy that I can now get a pair of jeans:

1) that won't tear because of the abrasion in the crotch

2) are functional and meet the specific needs of cyclists

3) for cyclists that above all, won't make me look like a damn fool

I, like many people, don't want to compromise fashion-wise when getting on a bicycle. I mean, city cyclists already have to have lights, an appropriate bag, deal with shitloads of exhaust, wear a helmet, etc.

Personally, I just wouldn't cycle every day if it were more of a hassle than it's worth. I don't want to dress like a courier, I don't want to adopt a "cycling lifestyle", and I don't want to wear spandex. Products like these will probably make the daily commute for me even easier than other options - car, bus, tube, taxi, motorbike, etc.

Kudos to you Kiya for making this happen.

Ive ridden in many different kinds of jeans, and I must say Iron Heart denim IS the best out there at the moment, for riding.

Sugarcanes are great too, but they stretch soo much, to the point where they no longer hold the same cut they did wen I first had them. No torn crotch, but the denim stretched out soo much, especially in the seat, where its almost embarrassing to wear them in public. Im wearing them right now tho. But Im also sitting behind a counter.

Iron Hearts, Ive rode in them almost everyday since I had them. For HOURS/Miles a day. The denim itself holds so well, it still looks like a pair of JEANS. No ridiculous ass sag/hip flare or anything. Hammer time.

Id rather spend money on bike parts also, instead of clothing. But... What will DEFINATELY last you longer?

You crash, your wheel set is fucked. You crash with your jeans, you have a fade to tell a story. Unless your pant leg gets ripped off, which I HIGHLY doubt will happen with Iron Heart denim, whats the worse that will happen to your jeans? I spaced out right now, and I might have put 2-3 sentences together just now.

I was thinking about buying spandex biker shants, so I can walk around and be like NO HOMO.

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you all know what a glowing experience I had at self edge today.

I live in Sacramento, which is about two hours to Kiya's store, (and about 4 hours back, because of traffic) which might seem like a long distance to travel for one boutique, but it turned out to be completely worth it.

Kiya is knowledgable, friendly, and extremely helpful. I would recomend his shop to any of my friends, and I'm now whole-heartedly recommending it to you.

how are the black skulls dyed kiya?

Sulfur sulfur sulfur..