Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

I love how nobody blinks an eye if a businessman spends $1,000 on a suit, but if a you spend $300 on jeans you are a hypebeast. Nobody flinches if a man spends $15,000 rebuilding a muscle car, but spend $175 on a shirt and your fucking crazy. If a man spends hundreds of dollars on fly fishing gear, fiduciary responsibility isn't ever mentioned.

This thing is not about quality, although that has something to do with it. It's not about the longevity of the product -- $300 worth of STF will last you longer than a $300 pair of Iron Heart jeans. It's just a hobby. It's just a thing men of a certain age spend money on. Just call a goddamn spade a spade.

Also, go out to a construction site, none of us dress like construction workers. Buy a pair of cheap, washed-out carpenter jeans, some Wal-Mart boots and a hoodie, then you'll look like a construction worker. Workers haven't donned chambray in like 30 years.

Aaaaaand that's it for this week's Self Edge Political Hour, coming up next...

Nudie crotch blow-outs, how many faceless brands is Naked & Famous really behind, shitty American brands hacking together Japanese denim for marketing sake, does your day job justify your "workwear", and the Self Edge x Toyo Enterprises Jungle Cloth Pant release this saturday.

lol. nice one kiya. ;)

@ stacks and kiya, "must spread."

This conversation is great, IMO, but methinks it worn out its welcome. I'ld be interested to hear more from you on this (the general talk in the last page and the humor behind asking if "your day job justifies your "workwear') kiya, but i have no interview cred.

PEACE

edit: new thread here so the conversation can continue without shitting up the thread. http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=2135078#post2135078

Found this nice quote from the Billykirk blog that might shed some light.

"...I remember when I was renovating my NYC apartment a few years ago, I was lamenting the cost of a bathroom faucet that I’d been coveting. An architect friend said to me, 'scrimp on some things, but those things you touch every day should make you happy.' I bought the expensive fixtures then, and never regretted it..."

I'm not sure what the fuck just happened to this thread but I am glad to hear something about SELA. I literally dreamed last night that I was hired to work there.

SEXT11 & SEXDBXSXSF12 & SEXFHXRR10 all sound really interesting. Looks like it is shaping up to be a great year for you guys at SE. Good work!

Uh, yes. This is sort of what the basis of a lot of what goes on in Superdenim is about, figured you'd been here long enough to see that.

Really? Why the need to amass a huge collection of jeans/shirts/etc.? If your buying it for quality and craftsmanship and shoving it in the closet to be looked at later or wear it one time out of a month, then you are seriously doing the concept of quality and craftsmanship a disservice.

Well crafted anyything is intended to be used, not stored.

I love how nobody blinks an eye if a businessman spends $1,000 on a suit, but if a you spend $300 on jeans you are a hypebeast. Nobody flinches if a man spends $15,000 rebuilding a muscle car, but spend $175 on a shirt and your fucking crazy. If a man spends hundreds of dollars on fly fishing gear, fiduciary responsibility isn't ever mentioned.

I blink my eyes at that shit all the time.

Aaaaaand that's it for this week's Self Edge Political Hour, coming up next...

Nudie crotch blow-outs, how many faceless brands is Naked & Famous really behind, shitty American brands hacking together Japanese denim for marketing sake, does your day job justify your "workwear", and the Self Edge x Toyo Enterprises Jungle Cloth Pant release this saturday.

whoa......

Really? Why the need to amass a huge collection of jeans/shirts/etc.? If your buying it for quality and craftsmanship and shoving it in the closet to be looked at later or wear it one time out of a month, then you are seriously doing the concept of quality and craftsmanship a disservice.

+rep.

and since you went there:

at what point is the whole otaku culture, or the western embrace of it, really just an excuse to beast more?

PEACE

I have a small disagreement with this statement.... I'm collector of many things myself.... and i believe ONLY "well crafted anything" is worth collecting and stored... there is nothing wrong with collection crafted and well made products (esp if it's deadstock)... you're a total nut if you start collecting mass produced shit...

for example I have 3 bottles of louis XIII OX. yes, you are right, it's intended for drinking... so does that mean i should drink them all now?? I think the answer the quite clear... you store it away... and enjoy the fact that they are crafted (brewed) and you have ownership with them.. then 10 years down the track you can open a bottle! collecting crafted and well made "anything" is rewarding!

I'm sure at least 80% of sufu members has 2 or more pairs of RAWs waiting to be soaked and worn!

if you dont believe me, ask ED

I have a small disagreement with this statement.... I'm collector of many things myself.... and i believe ONLY "well crafted anything" is worth collecting and stored... there is nothing wrong with collection crafted and well made products (esp if it's deadstock)... you're a total nut if you start collecting mass produced shit...

for example I have 3 bottles of louis XIII OX. yes, you are right, it's intended for drinking... so does that mean i should drink them all now?? I think the answer the quite clear... you store it away... and enjoy the fact that they are crafted (brewed) and you have ownership with them.. then 10 years down the track you can open a bottle! collecting crafted and well made "anything" is rewarding!

I'm sure at least 80% of sufu members has 2 or more pairs of RAWs waiting to be soaked and worn!

if you dont believe me, ask ED

I agree somewhat, but your bottles of OX will be drank. That is its purpose. The purpose of jeans/workwear is to be worn, not stored. Vintage stuff is a bit different to me. Vintage stuff captures a moment in time (store it if you like), where as this new stuff is lacking of depth and soul. It was created as a facsimile to something else, and much of this stuff is actually a copy of a copy. Even more void of reality.

It is insulting to people who actually wear workwear, (carhartt, levis stfs, dickies, redwings, etc) for its intended purpose, for some dude with expendable cash to blow ridiculous amounts of money on jeans, shirts, etc to look somewhat like the actual worker and it is even more insulting to buy the shit, not wear it and store it in a closet.

I don't exclude myself on this shit either.

much of this stuff is actually a copy of a copy. Even more void of reality.

So what are you saying? We should all go naked? Lets face it, everything is a copy of a copy of a copy...

The more things change the more they stay the same...

Let's just buy what makes us happy and do to it what keeps us happy...

For me, if i need a thing, I do some research and find the top options. Pick one among them that suits me. Save up and buy.

Agreed, that's logic at work for a person that appreciates the things we spend days poring over.

I want a black mister freedom beanie. You getting any more in any time soon?

Nope, those were deadstock watch caps, the supply has run out so there won't be any more made.

http://heydomeafavor.com

I'm gonna be at Self Edge SF on Saturday, checking out quality jawns and even purchasing a few.

Pow!

Dude, i can't believe i'll be in London while you're in SF.

I have a small disagreement with this statement.... I'm collector of many things myself.... and i believe ONLY "well crafted anything" is worth collecting and stored...

For me this is pretty much all it comes down to and i'm a collector by nature and for life.

how much weight do unsanforized jeans add when they are soaked? For instance, would a 19oz unsanforized jean actually become more like 20 or 21 oz after a soak? Is it consistent or does it vary by brand/version of denim?

It greatly varies from denim to denim. It depends on the weave pattern, shuttle tension, type of cotton, and also how heavily the yarn was dyed.

Rule of thumb is about 8% shrinkage for a loomstate denim, so 20oz would end up almost 22oz after a hot soak.

I'm going to be in New York this weekend.

Will the jungle cloth pants be at the NY store?

Jason,

They'll be there.. what day are you going in? I'll let Andrew know you're coming to give you some special lovin' when you get to the shop.

So what are you saying? We should all go naked? Lets face it, everything is a copy of a copy of a copy...

The more things change the more they stay the same...

Let's just buy what makes us happy and do to it what keeps us happy...

You might be missing the point. i never said "don't wear the clothes." I am saying "wear the clothes, not store them."

ahhhh. Did I tick you off in your "for profit" thread?

For me this is pretty much all it comes down to and i'm a collector by nature and for life.

Finally you admit it. Just stop using quality and craftsmanship as the excuse.

Why are the same folks that were collecting Dunks and Jordans two years ago now talking about quality and craftsmanship? When I think quality and craftsmanship I don't think of Nike.

Why are the same folks that were collecting Dunks and Jordans two years ago now talking about quality and craftsmanship? When I think quality and craftsmanship I don't think of Nike.

I sure as hell hope you're not talking about me.

I still don't fully understand the sneaker collecting culture which surrounds me at times. It's not something which i've been involved in but i can understand the dedication to a physical item which a person feels a connection to.

On a completely unrelated note, Sidney still takes wonderful close-up shots of garments.

Natural Indigo Dyed Slub Chambray..

dbshirt_03.jpg

dbshirt_05.jpg

Jungle Cloth!

sc_jc_09.jpg

sc_jc_08.jpg