Jump to content
volvo240thebest

Happy jeans: TCBxSufu S40s WW2 contest thread

Recommended Posts

@discwork are those Pras sneakers? I've been wanting to try those out myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Broark said:

@discwork are those Pras sneakers? I've been wanting to try those out myself.

They're PF Flyers Grounder Hi. Unfortunately discontinued, I believe. The ribbing on the toe cap does look very similar to Pras sneakers.

Edited by discwork

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wore my pair yesterday for the first time since january. still on the fence about whether these work for me but i am warming up to them styled with a tucked in shirt. here are a couple photos. 

0C287C2D-1D60-465D-9B45-1989BAE75D96.jpeg

804C4905-53FF-4C1A-A96C-8F6852DFE3E0.jpeg

ED0EC346-E456-4215-BAFD-67DAFE8BBEE7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am somewhat sad to say that not only have I not worn my TCBs in months, but they are probably the last pair of raws I will ever buy. The poor fit made me reflect on what exactly I was trying to accomplish besides spending money and I couldn't come up with anything... I expect this wasn't what TCB was hoping to accomplish but I'm just not cut out to be a heritage bro or whatever. It's too much work! And you guys all do it better anyway. I'll still check on the contest progress every now and then as I still respect the process and appreciate the passion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, justintk said:

I am somewhat sad to say that not only have I not worn my TCBs in months, but they are probably the last pair of raws I will ever buy. The poor fit made me reflect on what exactly I was trying to accomplish besides spending money and I couldn't come up with anything... I expect this wasn't what TCB was hoping to accomplish but I'm just not cut out to be a heritage bro or whatever. It's too much work! And you guys all do it better anyway. I'll still check on the contest progress every now and then as I still respect the process and appreciate the passion. 

Ha dang you can go to a store to try things on though - I guess not contest jeans. Repro cut jeans work well with all kinds of non heritagey accessories though. While I love denim I'm with you that thinking of jeans as an achievement of sorts has always been a little lost on me. Aesthetically pleasing fades are a thing that happens with living life, but just like my grey hairs or my slowly deteriorating ankle cartilage - I don't consider these things accomplishments (even if the ankles are the result of very enjoyable and hard years on a skateboard). I find it interesting to see the lives people lead only united by an affinity for indigo dyed twill fabric. It's absurd on it's face but fun nonetheless. That said, trying to truly rationalize little passions or hobbies like this will usually lead to a similar place, which is why acceptance is the only way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Ha dang you can go to a store to try things on though - I guess not contest jeans. Repro cut jeans work well with all kinds of non heritagey accessories though. While I love denim I'm with you that thinking of jeans as an achievement of sorts has always been a little lost on me. Aesthetically pleasing fades are a thing that happens with living life, but just like my grey hairs or my slowly deteriorating ankle cartilage - I don't consider these things accomplishments (even if the ankles are the result of very enjoyable and hard years on a skateboard). I find it interesting to see the lives people lead only united by an affinity for indigo dyed twill fabric. It's absurd on it's face but fun nonetheless. That said, trying to truly rationalize little passions or hobbies like this will usually lead to a similar place, which is why acceptance is the only way. 

Yeah, you're not wrong. I guess maybe it's more accurate to say I'm going to fade what I've got? I have other pairs that fit way better. And on further reflection, all I ever wanted was a good pair of jeans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suddenly my pair looks quite faded in the pale April light. Quick shot of the lap while catching some sunbeams on break from thesis work. Will have to do a proper update soon, enjoying everyone’s posts in the meanwhile!

 

E67FCAFA-BF9C-473F-B1CB-9E8573022031.jpeg

FB7426B0-D671-4DBA-B058-388F9460F064.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This post from Ryo on the TCB blog was good coincidence just as I was thinking of the blackness of the dark blue WW11's compared to the deeper bluer colours of post 47s. I was  on 1 day liking the black/blue and then the next day the bluer blue.... These 3 shown are obviously different stages of fading process  - so maybe the black/blue 40's will lose their black... 

 

L1008993.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was time to reinforce a couple of seams. I'm not the greatest with a sewing machine but it's certainly handy to have one on hand.

The scraggly bits are the old threads. In addition to the yellow thread I used some blue right at the edge of the fold to add extra strength & make it lay flat.

The second photo is the inside leg seams where the cuff folds had caused the original threads to fail.

IMG_3699.thumb.JPG.bf53c4fc8f460c0f8ca2d71a9c93dc8f.JPGIMG_3701.thumb.JPG.15b2793929862c63f7d1efc6f2cd4de9.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ I'm impressed at anybody's attempts to use a machine..! I've had some similar wear at the crotch, but have resorted to my usual darning with indigo threads unpicked from a roll of Cone selvedge I've had for ages – one edge of the roll is frayed from having some odd pieces cut out, so I figure I've got a few years left of unpicking before the roll gets tidied up and needs to be preserved. I'll get some pics up one day... dodgy as my efforts are, the indigo thread ends up fading and blending into the original fabric so the repairs become very much a part of the jeans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

^ mondo, I'm sure your hand sewn repair will blend in better than my bright yellow. If I lived closer to town I'd have sought a better match but I've learned from experience best to get the job done with what's available. Otherwise I never seem to get anything done.

Edited by CSL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to pick up some pan dulce at a pop-up this morning. 

9005CDDF-5056-4895-BCD1-3EDD41629519.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@chicote the pop up is Tlahuach 

They started this during the pandemic as a way to make money and it took off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JRendon02 Oh word!! Those look amazing! I made a note to stop by and see them when i visit Houston, thank you! I see through ig that tlahuac and comadre seem to know each other, small world lol! I’d recommend checking them out if you get the chance to, Mariela and her partner aaron are old friends and she’s one of the most talented and meticulous people I’ve ever met.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@chicote I might be in the Austin in a few weeks. If I am I’ll check out comadre. Looks like they are available at Nixta, a place that’s been on my list for way too long. Hopefully I looked up the right place. If you want more places to check out in Houston just send me a message. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yep, sounds like the right place, and will do! If you go feel free to let them know iyan from seattle sent you :P

Edited by chicote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now