Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Of course! I thought you were selling the Libra Pondus pair though. Have you had second thoughts?

I don’t know how you keep so many pairs on the go, I have a few pairs that I really want to start wearing but I’d just end up with lots of moderately worn jeans. That’s why I try to focus on a few pairs at a time, currently my SC Okis but if summer ever arrives I’ll switch to my LVC 55s and WH 1003XX.

Yes, I decided to keep them. Only the FC is looking for a new home.

Well, I spread the wear across multiple pairs. Sometimes I focus for a while on one pair and it results in some nice fades but most of the time the wear is spread too many pairs to show evolution. I do like faded jeans but it's not my goal (anymore) to fade them. I just want to wear nice jeans 😅

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/28/style/benjamin-talley-smith-denim-jeans.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare 

This guy annoys the heck out of me. He thinks he "made" jeans in nearly everyone's closet. Aside from his language stripping the actual garment workers of what they did, I'm quite happy there's nothing in my closet he's had anything to do with. I don't tend to follow a lot of fashion journalism but Vanessa Friedman in particular always seems a little out to lunch with her columns, especially when it comes to denim, and apparently her guests too.

3 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/28/style/benjamin-talley-smith-denim-jeans.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare 

This guy annoys the heck out of me. He thinks he "made" jeans in nearly everyone's closet. Aside from his language stripping the actual garment workers of what they did, I'm quite happy there's nothing in my closet he's had anything to do with. I don't tend to follow a lot of fashion journalism but Vanessa Friedman in particular always seems a little out to lunch with her columns, especially when it comes to denim, and apparently her guests too.

Do share a bit more with non ny times subscribers. 

3 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

I also like to walk around my stores pointing at the random jeans we carry, the ones our staff wears, and just say "I made those".

10 hours ago, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

Do share a bit more with non ny times subscribers. 

eh he's basically a denim consultant for a bunch of brands who's very into himself. the article quotes him several times bragging about how he walks around and sees people wear stuff that he "made" which is really irritating to read. He does seem like he has a lot of knowledge about what makes a jean fit a certain way and what kind of traits in a denim will make the jean drape well so I'll give him that but otherwise, the world he operates in is mostly of little interest to me and he seems pretty insufferable. I imagine him to be the kind of person that overcomplicates things just for the sake of making himself seem like an expert. 

9 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Digging a hole for yourself now … Will I throw you another shovel? 😂

This should add to my sentence: wearing nice jeans that I like the fit of. The FW47 weren't part of that group ;) 

Interesting to read b_F's approach to collecting/wearing the Denim Pants, it's interesting that many of us have been into this hobby for so long now yet have ever-evolving perspectives on it.

I've been back in my older pairs. I wore my first pair of Flat Head 3005s a lot this spring, which I bought back in mid 2018. They're around a year and a half of wear and still going strong, the knees and bottom probably have at least a few more months of wear until they blow out. I'm back in my Warehouse 1001xx for a bit but they probably have less than a month to go until the knees bust.

Once those two pairs are damaged I'll probably wash and store, eventually repair and keep wearing. Might finally start on a new pair in the fall: most likely my Samurai S0510xx I bought a few years ago. My second pair of TFH 3005s are about nine months of wear, but I'll probably wear something not-TFH for a while before I keep working at these. 1-2 days a week I'm wearing non-denim pants, a pair of Buzz Rickson 1930s chinos and Stevenson salt and pepper trousers, which add some nice variety.

I have dead stock Flat Head 3003xx and 1005 pairs, but I'm thinking I'll save those for a future contest, maybe.

23 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

This should add to my sentence: wearing nice jeans that I like the fit of. The FW47 weren't part of that group ;) 

Interesting. I saw the pictures and thought they looked really good on you. 

Posted (edited)

@Cold Summer l've been in it too long, like well before the internet. Between 1986 and 2002 l thought there was just me who was into denim (culture) - l was so stoked to discover Sufu c.2007 (and for some years, Denimbro) that my perspective has been broadened immensely.

Between 1986 and 1996 l probably owned a dozen pairs of vintage (40s-70s) 501's, and Between 1997 and 1998 l was down to 2 pairs. A pair of 505 and a pair of 501XX.

Then in 1999 l bought my first pair of repro/heritage denims - Lvc 201xx

Funnily enough, l think back in 2003 l had 15 pairs of repro levis and by 2005 l had double that and by 40 pairs l had to have a serious talk with myself. Now down to 12 active pairs. 

Just realised l've been into it now for nearly 40 years 😮

Edited by Dr_Heech
To edit obvs

5 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

Just realised l've been into it now for nearly 40 years 😮

That's like double my (mental) age!

@vlad_III

Might have looked good on the pictures I posted but in the end it was mainly the back rise being way higher than I prefer.

Just seen an advert for a new movie called 'The Bike Riders' about a motorcycle gang back in the 1960s. I saw Tom Hardy in what looked to be a WW2 S506XX repro, also saw some vintage type 3's and a Lee 101J. Maybe worth a watch when it's released.?

It’s a really nice city. Quite small, easy to get around, on the water. Local food is excellent, I much prefer Hiroshima style okonomiyaki. 
the a-bomb site and museum are intensely emotional. There are warnings about the graphic nature of some parts, put people should see the impact of something like that on innocent civilians.