Osaka or Kyoto?

okisan

I'm sure i'll get slaughtered for starting a new thread but whatever...

I'm going to be in Japan this March and trying to pick between staying in Osaka or Kyoto. Osaka has more denim heritage but i'm not necessarily fussed about denim shops for the sake of this trip as i'll also be in Tokyo, just interested to know which of the two is overall a better place to stay according to people i trust in this forum.

Opinions at the ready people...

Edited by okisan

Agree with Ed, but stay in Kyoto, it's beautiful. I recommend the Westin Miyako which is walking distance from the Path Of Philosophy, many cool temples and Gion.

One more vote for staying in Kyoto, and then visiting Osaka (one/two days) and Nara (one day)

Personally, I made the mistake of staying in Osaka last time, but there's only so much to do there. What I did like about staying there was the variety of food to eat (I stay just off Dotonbori). I found that outside of the main station area of Kyoto, there was a lot less choice in food (lots of soba/udon, for example) but maybe I just didn't explore enough.

when i did my tokyo/osaka trip, i stayed in osaka. and visited kyoto. which meant i didnt have enough time for kyoto. if i'd choose again, i'll still pick osaka but leave for time for visiting kyoto. i don't know if they have it in your country but the JR rail pass available outside of japan in agencies to all tourist would be a good buy. unlimited travel on shinkansen and jr lines around tokyo, so you can travel as much as possible. but do note you can't ride the osaka subway lines with it.

and if you choose to stay in osaka, like what i did, it's probably good to stay near the shin-osaka station. easier travels to kyoto via shinkansen, took like 15mins for me. 

actually, i should have asked what areas in Kyoto are good to stay in terms of access to 'stuff'.

unfortunately though it's going to be a quick visit as the Japan trip overall is a short one & i have commitments in Tokyo also.

actually, i should have asked what areas in Kyoto are good to stay in terms of access to 'stuff'.

unfortunately though it's going to be a quick visit as the Japan trip overall is a short one & i have commitments in Tokyo also.

Near Higashiyama would be my personal choice.

Staying in a ryokan, as suggested, is the way to experience Kyoto.

Edited by Iron Horse

You can easily make a shinkansen day trip to Okayama from Osaka though. I think it was 50k ¥ rond trip. If so, do it on a Saturday, most shops are closed otherwise.

And you can go from Osaka to Kyoto using the regular 'subway' system. I had some kind of weekly 'Kansai pass' to move easily all around the place.

Kyoto is great and relaxing indeed. I miss the awesome ramens with the perfect juicy orange egg!

You'll have a great time no matter what.

As Japanese - definitely Kyoto, especially you're the first-timer of visit to Japan. If you need to go to Osaka for shopping or something, just 45-minute journey by train from Kyoto anyway.

Enjoy!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/naoto_the_zombie/sets/72157611291367465/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/naoto_the_zombie/sets/72157640728235335/

Edited by Naoto

In common with most above I'd definitely recommend Kyoto over Osaka as a base. Its much smaller and less intense an experience. I loved the place. 

We stayed here when we went in October 2014 (https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/2008400?s=mYB7). The place was clean, a good size with brilliant facilities (the pocket wifi alone was priceless). Guy is gaijin so a great help to tourists.

See as many of the shrines as you can. Especially the Golden Pavilion. Nara's massive Buddha is also an easy couple of hours day trip. 

Go to Tadg's Irish pub and drink Japanese real ale. http://tadgs.com/

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Porkys for shopping. The guys are super cool and they have their own denim line (which I know is covered in the unknown thread). I bought a type II and their 66 cut. Its a way out from the town but a great find. Also go and see Captain Santa (https://www.flickr.com/photos/lao_ren100/4111122522/).

There are indigo dying pilgrimages too. I forget the name of one but you must not leave Kyoto without paying respect to Utsuki-san (http://www.aizenkobo.jp/). An absolutely awe-inspiring master of his craft, happy to share knowledge and show you around his workshop. 

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Porkys for shopping.

Oh, yes.....I forgot. I went to the shop and bought Toys McCoys' N-1 deck jacket back in 2008 (I purchased it at Rakuten but collected at the shop). Though getting there was a bit awkward (a bit outside of the centre of Kyoto).....

I'm going back to Japan next week too - it's a shame we're not in Japan at the same period. And thanks lance!

Edited by Naoto

I went to Kyoto for a couple of night, but my favourite stay was definitely Kurashiki, where we stayed in a Ryokan. Drop-dead gorgoues place with resonant edo history. 

Kurashiki has incredible heritage, it's where the major mills, including Kurabo and (nearby) Nihon Menpu were, Kapital has many places nearby too.

We stayed at Tsurugata - very expensive and worth every penny. Or yen:

https://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/ryokan-single/?ryokan=Tsurugata

Paul T is a man with exquisite good taste. We stayed in the Kurashiki Ryokan which I think is right near the Tsurugata. Indeed worth every one of the many, many pennies. http://www.ryokan-kurashiki.jp/en/top.php 

Kurashiki gives a base for a trip to Kojima for the whole denim street tour. Its a little disappointing until you get to the Kapital complex in the centre of town. 

wow, thanks for the response guys. very helpful indeed. i've been to Japan 3 times before but never made it down this way so this 1st hand info is helping rather than people who just piss & moan on trip advisor...

You're going to love Kansai I think. Speaking of Kyoto sights, Ryoanji was my favorite...I could sit at the rock garden all day, if my feet didn't get so cold in the early April weather.

Kyoto would be my choice if I had to choose one.  I would have to look back through photos to remember what all I saw there, but I remember I liked it though.  I know that sounds strange but I went straight from being downrange so its kind of a blur at this point.    

Not adding anything but having been lucky enough to have lived in Kyoto (my favorite place in the world) I'd say Kyoto hands down and maybe a day or two in Osaka for shopping if needed...It's only a 30-40 minute train ride away which you could make a day trip out of. Everyone hit the nail on he head as far as shops; sightseeing wise I like to start at the Philosophers Trail and walk south hitting up all the temples ending up in Higashiyama for Kiyomizu...

Naoto-san I will be in Tokyo next week! Not sure if you'll be there though!

Edited by aho

Naoto-san I will be in Tokyo next week! Not sure if you'll be there though!

I'll be in Tokyo until the end of next week then will move to a hot-spring town in Wakayama, then will move to Kyoto & Nara for a couple of days, then will come back to London. The main purpose of this time is clear out my room which hasn't been used for 20 years since I moved to London. :blush: But I'm looking forward to indulging my shopping spree (ahh....thanks to the recent good exchnge rate!)

FYI, here's the movie I shot in Tokyo around this time last year.....

But aho, I'd recommend you go this place when you visit Japan in winter - very interesting place! It was very hard to get there, but I enjoyed :)

Enjoy!

Edited by Naoto