TCB: happy jeans contest

aho

i or our shop will not sponsor anything if we dont believe in a good product. as my track record shows. also value for money is also something we are looking into for everyone. specially with our market here locally its always value for money thays why we wanna do this.

I really want to join because I like larger fit jeans , but I just think these are just too similar to the SC '47s I'm breaking in. Unless someone can talk me into it :P

There's enough difference between the two cuts to justify picking up the TCB in my opinion. The rise is a little bit higher and there is more room in the hips/top block than the 1947 - in line with what you could expect from a 50s shape. Beyond this, the denim is very very nice. Deep colour, great texture... you know these are going to yield a beautiful fade with hard wear and washing.

Dew it!

just for sake of conversation, I will be getting a size 34.  The post wash measurements are perfect.  If I measure my waist area, it measures 36".  The best fitting jeans I own measure 34 BiG style, so there you go.  If I copped a 36 because my waist measures 36 I think I would be swimming in them

Damn I can't wait for this to get started already!

Coldsnap, we'd love to have you, if you love 50s cuts theres really no reason not to join! Price, quality, and some of the best/authentic fades you can get! A bit more forgiving than the SC47s in my opinion

Forgot to mention, if we can get this to 45 contestants then our gracious sponsor has agreed to give two prizes: one at 12 months, another at 1.5years!

I think we can make alot of progress with the jeans at one year but I'll talk with Inoue-san...

just for sake of conversation, I will be getting a size 34.  The post wash measurements are perfect.  If I measure my waist area, it measures 36".  The best fitting jeans I own measure 34 BiG style, so there you go.  If I copped a 36 because my waist measures 36 I think I would be swimming in them

whatever suits you! I have a similar waist area, I wear 34w on most brands but I think I couldn't make this 34 work for me. the tcb 60's I have are 36 and are a perfect fit. I could probably squeeze in a W35 myself but don't see the point of sizing down on a cut which is intended on purpose to be loose.

I'd be happy if I could get this style of fit

20140506-DSC_2210_zps6ce9e5f9.jpg

loose without being overly sloppy.

great tumblr photos by the way!

Can we possibly have something added to the first post clarifying the measurement/sizing issues? We have multiple size charts, one of which I believe is raw the other is post soak, lots of sizing advice, but no real clarity.

What I would hope to see would be an explanation as to each size chart, an explanation as to how the measurements are taken (is it BiG style?), and what the expected shrinkage is for the raw model.

^ hi there I am sure Aho will clarify the first post soon. Meanwhile keep in mind that the first chart is post soak and the second is raw measurements.

waist is measured BIG style.

for the rise measurements look here http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/155613-tcb-happy-jeans-contest/?p=3077411

Edited by volvo240thebest

Can we possibly have something added to the first post clarifying the measurement/sizing issues? We have multiple size charts, one of which I believe is raw the other is post soak, lots of sizing advice, but no real clarity.

What I would hope to see would be an explanation as to each size chart, an explanation as to how the measurements are taken (is it BiG style?), and what the expected shrinkage is for the raw model.

I agree.  This is not rocket science, but would squash many questions that are locked and loaded regarding sizing.  

Who said it? "Unsanforized for confusion and better wear"

I looked for my normal 32 inch Japanese post-shrink size, and the nominal 32 inch seems to measure around 34 inches raw and 32 post-soak, just like SDA, Full Count, you name it. Is there some distinctive new trap in store for the unwary? 

nothing really just the same old way you wanna do your sizing but i am sure aho will fix up the chart in no time.

yeah for me im a usual 86-88cm waist post. i would go for a size 35.

Not at all Paul, I just smell a whole lot of, "Well I couldn't tell from all the sizing talk what size to get and my pair is too small (or large, or whatever)," based on all the talk so far. I think I'll be in the 32 as well, with the 34" ish starting waist shrinking to a bit over 32" and stretching about an inch with wear.

I just think putting something at the beginning to refer everyone back to will make sure everyone orders properly and we get more participation from everyone involved. 

Hey guys, still working from an iPhone so I'll have to update the first post when I'm back in full effect! To re-iterate though, measure your waist where you wear the jeans and order that size; I measure 33 inches on my waist and will get a size 33! This is the advice Inoue-san gives!

Edited by aho

oh if my waist is around 93-94 cm (37 inches) as mentioned, I should get 36 instead of 38 knowing that tcb is made of zimbawee cotton which is easy to stretch, is my thinking correct ?  :)

oh if my waist is around 93-94 cm (37 inches) as mentioned, I should get 36 instead of 38 knowing that tcb is made of zimbawee cotton which is easy to stretch, is my thinking correct ?

is this jeans ur first unwashed jeans?

if u r w37 ...u cant even wear size 36 if u give it a initial soak and later wash...not to mention it will stretch after wear.

it better to be a bit oversize as u can wear it with belt..instead of getting it small.

just my 2 cent.

Edited by kcobain123

oh if my waist is around 93-94 cm (37 inches) as mentioned, I should get 36 instead of 38 knowing that tcb is made of zimbawee cotton which is easy to stretch, is my thinking correct ?  :)

Having no experience with TCB denim, I can't give you any sage wisdom here... but if it makes you feel better, my true waist is probably 35" for this amount of rise and I am going to do a size 34. (In other words, I suspect 1" below actual will work with these.)

I wash regularly (after a delayed first wash) but don't tumble dry and I find that nearly all my pairs end up back at raw waist size, or sometimes bigger. Just assuming these will be like that too.

I'd ignore that advice if I were you...

I agree.

Before you advise people to size down severely you had better know that design really well and have had experience with the denim, and the cut. A waist can stretch out, but thighs etc won't to the same degree.

Guys I honestly don't understand all the fuss about sizing, just go true to size or within a reasonable tolerance from size (+/- 1 cm) and you'll be grand!

The 60's I have just shrank 1/2 inch under size and settled to 1/2 over size after months of wear.

The 50's jacket I have (same fabric as the contest jeans) despite being Zimbabwe cotton behaved in the very same way (shrank a little under size and stretched back just a hair over size). I am pretty sure the 50's jeans will be much similar.

It's a piece of cake, for f**k sake!

Edited by volvo240thebest

...poor Aho!  ;)

Well, based on the post from Rustygoose, I might do a tagged 35 instead of a 34. Thanks for the link hog - even if you have knocked my assuredness out from underneath me. I'll try to hold back giving anymore unfounded advice!

/\ :D Sorry really not wanting to mess up this thread! 

Volvo I do appreciate what you're saying, and I know I'm repeating myself, but it's just that the raw chart that Aho posted does NOT stack up with the size experience that Rustygoose had.

For instance - I am a true measured 36" - but there is no way I would consider going true to tag size 36 if they truly measure 98.6cm (38.8") as the chart says.

....so all said and done hence my saying let's get them measured properly so we can all relax and I can stop wavering on the fence over this!  :P

Well I believe the raw chart it's really misleading. I'd rely more on the post soak measurements as per TCB website. But then for me is easier, I already know that w36 on the 60's fit well and Hajime said to stick with the same size.