Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

It's a slow comfy rainy Friday evening, the wife is taking down the Christmas tree so I decided to dub my generic army ww2 boots. While I do like the almost orange-ish natural color of the rough out leather, I also like the look of treated rough out. Those boots were only €90 so nothing's lost in trying it out.

uypSZ4dl.jpg

A3TB7HTl.jpg

Just quick shots after the first coat with beeswax based leather care. I'll let this coat settle in over night, apply a second coat tomorrow and maybe I'll even polish them after that. I'll take some proper shots in proper light with a proper camera without flash when I'm done :)

I'll take some proper shots in proper light with a proper camera without flash when I'm done :)

That sounds like a proper plan ahah! I can already tell you I'll like them more with dubbin!

That sounds like a proper plan ahah! I can already tell you I'll like them more with dubbin!

Gn688OJl.jpg

After:

VPmZiSql.jpg

40kLTgnl.jpg

As you can see the right boot didn't take as much to the wax as the left. The leather has a bit different texture to it, it looked different before, too - well cheap boots mean no matched hides I guess - it's not that apparent and it doesn't bother me.

Nice. How do you find the Comfort Last on those ForLife? Did you get the 1460? Care to post a side profile shot of the boot and birds eye view down of the toe box? 

​I found your old Hondo post in the original shoes thread, that's a cool looking boot. I'd wear a pair of those!

I originally bought the boot because I could fit my orthotics in them. So the comfort last is perfect. Without the orthotic they are rather sloppy. The leather is very soft and oily. The DM wonder balsam doesn't help this. Have since switched to obenaufs.

Will take the pics as requested. Should be able to post today or tomorrow.

Re: Hondo boots - I've owned only one other pair of cowboy style boots. They were a pair of Tony Lamas I bought when I was 14. My dad still wears them (my feet grew, his did not). I always wanted to get another pair but did not like some of the newer brands construction. I then discovered Hondo. Not a really well known brand compared to your HH or Ariat etc. Well worth it though.

Does anyone have a link or info on where I can see what Vibram soles are currently available?? I need to get my Danner x Tanner Lownsdale Boots re-soled soon and had planned to stick with Vibram. Looking for something with a lot more traction to it. I use these boots as everyday boots and for hiking. The current sole has such poor traction for hiking. Any opinions?? Was thinking maybe go nuts and put a ripple sole on them!

Thanks

-Edwin

10693278_392579507560806_1207086692_n.jp

image1_zps94853878.jpg

Does anyone have a link or info on where I can see what Vibram soles are currently available?? I need to get my Danner x Tanner Lownsdale Boots re-soled soon and had planned to stick with Vibram. Looking for something with a lot more traction to it. I use these boots as everyday boots and for hiking. The current sole has such poor traction for hiking. Any opinions?? Was thinking maybe go nuts and put a ripple sole on them!

Thanks

-Edwin

You can see all of Vibram's sole options on their website: http://www.vibram.com/index.php/us/

One thing that surprised me when I got my Nicks x Zuriick boots was how built up the midsole is. These are a single midsole, but there is a thick "ridge" of carved leather running through the middle of the boot. I've been browsing through pictures of boots since receiving these, and have noticed a similar but smaller "ridge" on Whites (it is more noticable on boots with a composition half sole), but not on Wescos, Vibergs, or any of the Japanese brands. I'm guessing this is part of the arch support system, but i really wasn't expecting something so visually obvious.

16255374062_c06e4c2cb5_z.jpg

It is really obvious in this pic:

15633802694_cd9d54c8bd_z.jpg

Quoise - my White's have a similar profile to the mid-sole as yours. While I'm just speculating, I think it's because White's and Nick's don't use a metal shank. These boots were originally made for smoke jumpers fighting forest fires, and the metal shank gets hot when they are walking on burning ground. I think they build up the leather to provide the arch support that a metal shank does in normal boots. 

Your sole does look a bit more pronounced than my White's. It's not off-putting to me at all, and I like this aspect of how they build their boots. 

I just received my Chippewa engineer boots back from Brian at Role Club. He did a complete rebuild of the lowers - new leather foot bed, hand welted soles - no gemming, ply rib, cork filler, etc., replaced the nickel plated buckles with Japanese solid brass roller buckles. He also buffed the leather and brought out a much darker, richer luster. 

Brian's work is AMAZING! These boots look even better in person. I really like the toe profile of the Chippewa boots. It's got a nice shape without being too bulbous, and the front sole is not turned up too high. I find some boots have too much turn-up and they look like clown shoes to me. 

I asked Brian to do a lowered walking heel, as I find this more comfortable and natural to walk and stand in than a tall heel. I also think the look is more understated and elegant. 

--- --- --- --- 

Chippewa x Role Club 1901M49 Cordovan Engineer Boots

[/url]">http://IMG_1801_zps13f169da.jpg

[/url]">http://IMG_1816_zpsc59e09e7.jpg

[/url]">http://IMG_1823_zps3fedfc90.jpg

[/url]">http://IMG_1837_zps9de41053.jpg

[/url]">http://IMG_1834_zps6e3852e6.jpg

Full gallery on Photobucket

--- --- --- --- --- 

However - I'm embarrassed to have to say this - they are too small for me. I wore them around the house for a couple of days when I first got them back in the fall, and I thought they would be OK. Unfortunately they are not OK. So, they are going up for sale. I'm going to look for another pair, and hopefully do this all over again. 

They are basically brand new. Worn inside only. Only tried on once since being resoled. 

Size 8.5 E. 

$650 + $15 for USPS Priority Shipping to US Cont 48. US based personal checks accepted. I'll mail the boots once check clears. PayPal is also available. Will ship anywhere in the world, but buyer pays actually shipping fees. 

Edited by mpukas

For those curious about Venetian Shoe Cream. I used some on my Danner Boots tonight. It made a huge difference. Very happy with the results.

Before:

image11_zpsa033f57f.jpg

After 2 coats of VSC

image2_zps32028efd.jpg

Quoise - my White's have a similar profile to the mid-sole as yours. While I'm just speculating, I think it's because White's and Nick's don't use a metal shank. These boots were originally made for smoke jumpers fighting forest fires, and the metal shank gets hot when they are walking on burning ground. I think they build up the leather to provide the arch support that a metal shank does in normal boots.

Your sole does look a bit more pronounced than my White's. It's not off-putting to me at all, and I like this aspect of how they build their boots.

Thanks for the info. I think that's a good explanation.

And don't get me wrong! I also don't think it's off-putting, I was just surprised at how thick the boots are at that part of the midsole. I guess I was expecting them to be built like Redwings, but with better materials and cleaner finishing; I didn't really expect such a substantial difference in the method of construction.

The boots feel absolutely solid, they fit great, they look great, and I love them.

Edited by Quoise1203

Thanks

-Edwin

10693278_392579507560806_1207086692_n.jp

image1_zps94853878.jpg

Depends on the type of hiking you do. Vibram' s Bifida is the best sole I've ever tried on rough terrain but I think its cement only, if that is a dealbreaker for you. Vibram Fouras/Sierras are reliable too, but they do have a funky profile.

Isn't that a huge increase from what he used to be charging? Maybe I am forgetting what the price used to be, but I thought it was in the $180 or so range.

Isn't footbed replacement part of any resole? The only real extra there seems to be the addition of roller buckles. What is the reason for the increase now?

What's considered normal for a quality resole?  If it's 350, the idea of getting nice boots as something cost-effective is even more of a joke (but hopefullly everyone here just buys the stuff because they like it).  I feel like 150 would be reasonable...

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...