Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Pretty interesting comparative of a bunch of the more affordable boots we see pretty often on this forum on this blog. 

http://blindbully.com/2013/12/alden-oak-street-red-wing-wolverine-timberland/

I wonder if the blogger is a forum poster.

Some of the remarks regarding the Red Wing Beckman are consistent with observations I've read elsewhere and really put me off a pair, despite how much I like the colour of the boot in chestnut.

those timberlands... fugly.

i've never really been impressed with the beckmans but i think there are still some good boots in the heritage line. i own the 3140 and love them and i want to get the 9111 sooner or later.

never really participated in the boot game - but was with a friend who was returning (for a different pair) his 1000 miles. Thought i'd try these Pecos on and now i can't get them/boots-in-general off my want list. I'm not too into how this color of leather ages (in pics) though. Still thinking of going back to get them as they are on a crazy special..

12600449803_b2da23332d_b.jpg

How much darker could i get these with oil? not sure about how light brown they are.. the leather feels super oily already so i'm worried they won't soak in much initially.

Edited by rockon99

^ Those look really nice. I'm in the market for a plain toe oxford with a Christy sole for spring/summer. Anyone have any suggestions? I found a nice looking option from Chippewa, but would love alternatives.

Whites/ Bakers Oxford is a winner pick imo man. It's $300 cheaper than the Viberg version (depending on leathers) and and custom built to your spec which the Chippewa is not.

picked up some Viberg chukkas in Iced Mocha with vibram soles a little bit ago.  

OzQ77isl.jpg

So sick - I googled around but didn't see these for sale - did you get yours from a sample sale or someone else who did?

So sick - I googled around but didn't see these for sale - did you get yours from a sample sale or someone else who did?

these were from the sample sale. i wasn't looking for another pair of vibergs but came across them online and the guy was selling them for a great price and i couldn't say no. 

^ Those look really nice. I'm in the market for a plain toe oxford with a Christy sole for spring/summer. Anyone have any suggestions? I found a nice looking option from Chippewa, but would love alternatives.

Too bad you missed the J.Crew Red Wing plain toe oxfords from a year or two ago. I have a pair and they are so good. $240 was an absolute steal for them.

IMG_4384.jpg

Edited by xchen

^ Those look great. Thanks for the link.

http://www.bakershoe.com/Product/Detail/bakers-oxford/

These, $100 less you can get natural cxl in any configuration you want. Picture is of the lace to toe option but i got the plain toe and I love them. They fit very well (went 1/2 size down from measured). These are true work shoes heavy duty and built to last. 

Too bad you missed the J.Crew Red Wing plain toe oxfords from a year or two ago. I have a pair and they are so good. $240 was an absolute steal for them.

Sorry xchen but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this. Those oxfords are not worth $240. In this 'made in America' wave (not a bad thing in and of itself) we are riding that price might seem fair but honestly speaking the quality of many of Red Wings boots/shoes is not really on that level. They definitely get to charge a premium for the name.

I understand that people have had issues here and there with Red Wing's quality, but I still think $240 is fair for that particular model. "Absolute steal" might not have been the best choice of words, lol.

I'm curious to see what you think they are worth and what you're basing it on. Having personally owned White's, Aldens, Oak Streets, among other brands I've never had any glaring quality issues with any of them. Alden's price on Indy boots has gone up $150 since I bought mine in 2007 but Red Wing's price is the same. I'm not trying to argue or say Red Wings are the best or on the same level as other premium brands, but I do think for what you are getting they are certainly a reasonable value.

^^ Xchen, to me a pair of Red Wings should be in the same price bracket as say, a pair of Thorogoods. About $100 cheaper on average. I just don't feel that the materials used warrant their price point. So as not to just pick on Red Wing, I don't think that Alden are truly worth what they charge for them either, at least the more common standard models. Even though my Alden x Context Roy boots are probably my favorite boot, I would most likely never have bought them at full price. The pair of Red Wing GT's I have were actually a huge disappointment. I wasn't impressed with the fit or finish and agree with the article posted above on this page and it's review of them.

Do the Red Wing GTs come lined or unlined? The oxfords I posted were fully lined (uncommon for RW, no?) and I thought it made them seem a good bit nicer than my Iron Rangers. I don't think I've handled Thorogood boots in person, but I've always thought that Wolverine 1000 Mile's looked to be massively overpriced.

I have to say I agree with you on Alden's pricing. I've got a pair of (cigar shell) penny loafers that ran me about $675 and the stitching is sloppy... Just saw that Indy Boots are going for $500 now which is crazy. I realized they are CXL now and that has something to do with it but still.

In general I wear black shoes for formal events and brown with more casual dress. As most boots are fairly casual I'm generally not a fan of black boots. What I miss though is suede : )

Come to think of it I do still have these lying around somewhere but I hardly ever wear them.

8549267495_99c68bbefc_b.jpg

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...