Levi's Vintage Clothing

Just won this Sunset shirt, advertised as "LVC 1900 SUNSET PATCH MINING SHIRT " for £20 off ebay & thought I would share it with you all.

Any one know which season this came from, as I can't find any reference to it. Pics below ( from the sellers advertisment)

KGrHqVHJBUE8e4mjbCpBPIGEJF7Lw60_3.jpg

KGrHqJHJCIE7y8WfcoBPIGDCooQ60_3.jpg

KGrHqZHJBE8e0p4KIBPIGBW3ugg60_3.jpg

KGrHqRHJBoE8fG12UzUBPIGD0Ygz60_3.jpg

KGrHqFHJ0E8e4soqqyBPIGC1PzNw60_3.jpg

I dont doubt this claim actually, something to note and particularly with your jacket is that it has the 'every garment guaranteed' on the patch, i believe it was circa 1962 when that went. The funny thing is that Its only blanket lined type III jackets (559 XX) that have this as far as I am aware! ***edit*** Maybe the blanket lined ones where released before the normal ones?***

I didn't know that about the '17' stamp either, i always assumed it was only a 507 thing and from what i have personally seen very early XX type III's have a 'D' stamp moving on to '0' and then 554/556 etc. So your '17' stamp is proof of the 'simultaneous production'.

Funny thing is I was just offered a really early 60's 557 XX yesterday with 'D' stamp for £60 but passed on it! These jackets don't get the love they deserve imo!

No, all the 'type three' style jackets were introduced around the same time. I have seen early 557xx, 558xx and 559xx with the 'every garment guaranteed' patches and also buttons stamped '0' or capital 'd'.

( also the pique,twill and sateen versions of the 557 - 940xx,941xx and 840xx - with the same patch, although they may well have been introduced as late as '63).

This range with that patch were produced c'62-'64.

In late 1964 that 'guarantee' statement was dropped from the neck tag (as well as the patches on the 501xx,502xx, 501zxx and 551zxx).

This :-

The button back numbers on the 557xx/558xx and 559xx started with #17, but this was only for the first year (c.1962) - I have only seen a few of each model - they are very scarce!

But the most important feature on these first run jackets was the presence of the shirt-weight material on the reverse of the pocket-flaps. This feature never appears on jackets with the later '0' or capital 'd' button stamps.

But you're right, they dont get enough love considering the amount I see in good condition on ebay, for less than what it costs for an Lvc repro type three.

For example -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-LEVI-BIG-E-DENIM-JACKET-557-XX-SIZE-44-/280820598374?pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item4162364666

next time you see a normal 557 XX with 'every garment guaranteed' please post some pics! I have never seen it other than on the blanket lined ones.

As paul has mentioned there are just sooo many type III's still floating around these days which is why they dont command the same prices as older models, its beyond me why someone would buy a type 3 repro!

Ps speaking of which i have a spare type 3 in a 42 chest if anyone wants it cheap? PM me

next time you see a normal 557 XX with 'every garment guaranteed' please post some pics! I have never seen it other than on the blanket lined ones.

I have pictures in some of my reference books and if I can find the time this weekend, i'll post some pics for ya!

[edit] Please check your message box!

Edited by Dr_Heech

Hi Denimdart,

Your shirt is an early offering of the sunset label from Lvc from spring/summer 2002.

It's called '1922 golf shirt - care repaired'.

They're quite scarce now, so great pick up for £20 i say!

Dr_Heech, thanks for your rapid response! Now I know.

The shirt is very good quality & I like the cream shade of off white too.

Given the shirt a gentle hand wash to freshen up, dried & ironed. Tried it on then, thought a few pics for Superfuture!

Pics below with my 1947 501s

PICT4968.jpg

shirt1crop.jpg

PICT4973.jpg

PICT4971.jpg

I do like the huge cuffs but only if wearing more a "cowboy" look. Like the early 30's westerns.

A nice wide double will clean up the look nicely.

I really dig that plaid coat. I have a similar pendelton in blue and one like that in green.

What do you think about new 1947's back pocket (arcs)? And arcs vary in each washed version... ehhh :/

http://www.asos.com/...&clr=Roughrinse

http://www.asos.com/...=-1&clr=Onelove

It does not look authentically to me... I prefer 2011 version.

The pockets did vary a bit on originals but for the most part the 47 LVC from previous years are to small. Original late 40s are way more in line cut wise and pocket size and shape to the 55s.

Also the templates that were used for the shape of the arcs have changed over the years.

In '99-2002 they were fairly simetrical, this changed in 2003 at the san antonio factory, when they became slightly more offset. Then since 2004 they have that exagerrated wonkiness.

If you look at Marvins jp you will get a good idea of how the original type of arc variation, that AF mentioned, actually looked.

@attackwithstones

Here you go, my Lvc 1963 551ZXX from 1996 -

denimbrotoday018.jpg

denimbrotoday017.jpg

denimbrotoday019.jpg

Some details -

denimbrotoday020.jpg

denimbrotoday023.jpg

denimbrotoday025.jpg

denimbrotoday026.jpg

denimbrotoday022.jpg

My only niggle is the small unbranded zipper-pull. Wish they had put a scoville/gripper or talon repro on them instead. The denim on them is beautifull, which my pics just cant justify.

For reference, here is a pic of the care tag showing the date -

denimbrotoday027.jpg

Edited by Dr_Heech