Levi's Vintage Clothing

Nickel is toxic, and science knew this more than 15 years ago. That means LVC does not "improve" their products quickly enough...

IMO, LVC did not think about this issue. At least, it was not the main reason for changing material.

Well, you're wrong. The LVC head designer would prefer to use nickel, as that's more authentic, but they've been forced to change, possibly due to California environmental legislation - which as many know, is pretty comprehensive - or more likely as part of Levi's new sourcing policies, which by all accounts are a pain in the butt.

I hasten to add I haven't got the new buttons, afaik, i"m not condoning them as I don't know how they wear (the aged sew-on ones look pretty good. If there is a button conspiracy, I'm not in on it, and surely life is too short to bother negging people for such arcane reasons.

As mentioned in the Bud Strickland interview, Levi's are standardising their sourcing policies, to ensure uniformity across different regions. The standards cover issues like crocking - so suppliers get hassle from the business side, because the denim crocks, but if they eliminate crocking, they get hassle from the designers because the denim's not dark enough.

Neither Chrome or Nickel plating are known for rusting. Otherwise Hot Rods would become Hot Rusts after a drizzle

As nickel being "poisonous", I believe you meant to say allergy inducing.

well i can see you have no firsthand experience with chrome because it will indeed rust if not polished. i've had vintage autos in the past and you had to buy chrome polish to keep it up esp in areas that are recessed where moisture gathers. otherwise rust would form.

I believe previous buttons were nickel plated and that they've had to drop this due to issues with nickel being poisonous.

Edit: sorry if this bugs you, no-svg, I merely report, I don't condone! x

that's a damn shame and it makes me like the change even less. if the nanny state keeps it up you won't be able to have anything cool anymore.---too hazardous.

Just noticed an auction on the bay for the new 1950's Lvc 517xx type 2 jacket, showing the pocket corners at least have rivets in the style used from the mid-sixties onwards -

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item256c032277

wow, beautiful jacket. I guess I had no clue that the type two's had rivets on the pockets, thats a detail I really like. thanks for sharing Doc.

wow, beautiful jacket. I guess I had no clue that the type two's had rivets on the pockets, thats a detail I really like. thanks for sharing Doc.

That's the added worry - the originals never even had riveted pockets, only riveted cuffs.

The riveted pocket disappeared with the 506xx.

Glad you like it though.

@Colgems1966 - check your pm's mate!

[edit] - and thanks for that other overlooked mistake BGB :)

Edited by Dr_Heech

They reintroduced them in 2010 (minus back yoke -oops!) along with the duck 'closed front jumper' (smock-like pullover).

Not sure if they'll do them again. Paul T would have some idea, I'm sure.

I don't know. Yes, don't understand the old model, with no yoke. Likewise that 517. I spotted one error that will have Dr Heech spitting on a much-anticipated autumn item when I dropped in to look again at the 1874 jacket. I hope they'll catch it.

In the wake of all that justified negativity, I do love the 1874 though - and best of all, I think there will be one in cotton duck.

Edited by Paul T

I don't know. Yes, don't understand the old model, with no yoke. Likewise that 517. I spotted one error that will have Dr Heech spitting on a much-anticipated autumn item when I dropped in to look again at the 1874 jacket. I hope they'll catch it.

In the wake of all that justified negativity, I do love the 1974 though - and best of all, I think there will be one in cotton duck.

I'm poised and ready matey! Looking forward to the 1874/1974 duck/denim jacket btw.

Even though that's too rich for me, I think that's what LVC should be about. Authentic historic replicas without distressing.

Unfortunately, it seems they have trouble getting the "authentic" part right. The blanket lined 50s jacket and triple pleated blouse are two of the more expensive garments LVC has made lately, but both have mistakes. I can understand having to use different materiel for the buttons or thread, but putting rivets where they don't belong, putting the wrong model # on the tag, and putting a tag in the wrong place (according to Mike Harris the triple pleats tag should be in the center, not off to the side) is inexcusable on a $400+ garment. you're in the business of making over priced historical replicas... ya gotta pay a little more attention to detail! I'm willing to cut them a little slack on the triple pleat, but not the 50s jacket. it's not like it hasn't been a part of the LVC line up off and on the past 15 years, and they don't have dozens of examples to study.

wonderful paul. thank you for the infos. so did i understand it right and lvc is going to make the duck version too?

Yes, they are considering a duck version. Fingers crossed they do it as a non limited edition.

Yes, that jacket is expensive, too expensive for me to afford. But compare like with like. Have you seen the price of RRL? Much of which is made in China? Likewise items by Nigel Cabourn, Mr Freedom, SDA, or the Edwin-made Lee ain't cheap. Agreed, that Type 2 is simply not good enough for the money.

Unfortunately, it seems they have trouble getting the "authentic" part right. The blanket lined 50s jacket and triple pleated blouse are two of the more expensive garments LVC has made lately, but both have mistakes. I can understand having to use different materiel for the buttons or thread, but putting rivets where they don't belong, putting the wrong model # on the tag, and putting a tag in the wrong place (according to Mike Harris the triple pleats tag should be in the center, not off to the side) is inexcusable on a $400+ garment. you're in the business of making over priced historical replicas... ya gotta pay a little more attention to detail! I'm willing to cut them a little slack on the triple pleat, but not the 50s jacket. it's not like it hasn't been a part of the LVC line up off and on the past 15 years, and they don't have dozens of examples to study.

They need to hire or consult with some of the likes of you, that's for sure.