Levi's Vintage Clothing

Guest rusholmeruffian

I have cuffed my jeans as long as I can remember. I am with PaulT on this, my cuffs are really high, partly to show my boots but mainly because I like them.

yeah, your '55s inspired me to hem my own. I also believe that cuffs look cool with a more tapered cut -- 1966, 1967. Think Doug Clifford from the Willy and the Poorboys album photo:

ccr-willy-poorboys-31.jpg

Just sent my SC 66s back to BiG to get shortened up (they were worried about them shrinking too much, so an extra 1/2" was left on in the initial hemming), sorta like what Fogerty is wearing. The small cuff on a 66 can look cool, but not on me! I prefer a straighter (55 or earlier) leg for cuffing.

In my experience tapered jeans cuff better than the wider legged ones. There's probably a law of physics governing this, but when a hem is cuffed back against a leg that is wider than itself, it seems to hold neatly whereas cuffing wider hems against straight legs can sometimes appear slightly sloppy; it's easier for a straight/wider cuff to lose adhesion and fall out.

Hope that makes a little sense and doesn't seem like utter b*shit!

I cuff all my LVC's but different cuffs for different years, double cuffs on pre 30's, single cuffs on 40's 50's, single/double/triple on the 66's depending on the mood..

on a different subject, i finally received the mustard chino's from pablo (thanks again btw)! only had time to try them on for a few minutes, and boy was i in for a surprise.. from pablo's pics i was expecting a fairly relaxed chino type pants like the ones lvc have been issuing, or something along the lines of ww2 officer pants, but the surprise came from the rise, these are super high-waist with wide straight legs, i am going to assume in a similar fashion to the 20's balloon pants, probably situating these around that era. definitely a unique piece, quirky enough to explain why it was probably pulled from production! gotta admit i had trouble with the two last buttons and am going to have to shave off some beer belly pounds in order to make these work in a more comfortable way, but they are definitely keepers…

btw, who did the stone pair go to?

^^^^ I got the stone chinos. They are indeed high waisted, which I like but they are not straight legged, they have a little taper. The RRL chinos I have are much straighter. I think the stone ones do a good job of getting that late WWII look down. I wore them the other day with a fairly high cuff, no see 'em socks and natural suede bucks, most 'summery' I've looked in a long time.

I think the 37 is the way to go for that look, IIRC the movie was 1939 or so. I guess he had the clip on suspender buttons.

big fan of Stagecoach here. i'll have to look again but i think these are older. judging by the wear on these they are probably several years old at the time of filming. as to fit remember the Duke was a big guy.

^^^^ I got the stone chinos. They are indeed high waisted, which I like but they are not straight legged, they have a little taper. The RRL chinos I have are much straighter. I think the stone ones do a good job of getting that late WWII look down. I wore them the other day with a fairly high cuff, no see 'em socks and natural suede bucks, most 'summery' I've looked in a long time.

ok cool well like i said i only wore them for like 2 minutes and didn't even get a full glance in the mirror yet, but i have a good feeling about them..

I prefer no cuffs on my 47 and 55 501. I wear them as I probably would wear other pants. No high-water jeans but not too much/no stagging (sorry if thats the wrong word). I always have the feeling that the jeans look incomplete when cuffed and I like some air at my ankle when sitting down.

I guess Levis must have been making those long inseams at some point then. Must be about a 40" for him to be able cuff 'em.

i was thinking that as i replied. they probably were 38 or 40 inseam. i think Wayne was around 6'4. back then these were utility garments and levis didn't offer that many different models. i'm sure they must have had a wider range of sizes.

Just thought I'd let you know that my comments only apply to the single cuff of course and NOT to multiple cuffs, where the tapered leg doesn't have an advantage over it's straighter/wider brother.

Tried on a pair of 37s today - very nice but I'm not sure if they were quite my size. Unfortunately they're difficult to come by at present, unless I want to pay £215 at American Classics.

Moved onto Champagne now, nothing special, probably a special from Sainsburys.

Guest rusholmeruffian

Yeah. Jimmy . Great stuff. Must watch Harder they come again.

Like you said, the shit aka u2 now. Back to the tent. Whisky and guitar picking.

p><p>[img]<a href=http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5227/5868206658_90a190ddab_o.jpg' alt='5868206658_90a190ddab_o.jpg'>

This morning I reached into the closet and pulled my RxC out and put one leg in- I got the 'Loons by mistake and was struck by how comfortable they are. I tend to wear suspender pants high, and the cloth crotch/seat lining is sort of a god-send. The fabric, being lighter and (I'm guessing, less saturated with starch than the Roys) is really comfortable too, especially on a hot day. I ended up wearing them again, but I swear they're back on the hook for five months next week. The knee lining is comfortable too- the seams aren't at all rough as I had feared. Should make interesting fades along the knee and seat linings, too:

5868206694_6ee5fc4322_o.jpg

Finally seeing them shrunk up and on someone, they look a lot better than I expected (though certainly not a style I could wear). For what it's worth, IMO they'd look better hemmed and left uncuffed to a length a little longer than where you're wearing them in your photos.
Heres the deal if you're worried about fashion statements and how my butt looks in those pre 1940s anything if they're halfway cut accurately are not your jean. In fact most 501s are touted as the anti fit and anti-Calvin Klein look and there certainly are plenty of options out there for those that want a jean thats a fashion statement but if you're worried about saggy butt or any of those kinds of issues most authentic 501s especially early pre 1940s should not be the direction you are looking in.

I love that I live in San Francisco and it's gay pride weekend but I had to go onto the LVC thread to hear guys discussing each others butts.

Setterman- I agree with you there. I think all LVC are fine cuffed or not, according to preference, but I suspect these would look better hemmed and not cuffed, partly due to how narrow the cuff is. It's hard to keep down over medium sized boots, and the cuff narrows it even more. The cuff maybe makes them look even more tapered than they already are, I think I will probably hem before I seriously wear,