Levi's Vintage Clothing

Best way to get great wearing is to keep them outta water as much as possible.

Erk's jeans look as good (or better) than anyones, and in the evolution thread he says these jeans have been washed "many" times and are ready for another.

Erk's jeans look as good (or better) than anyones, and in the evolution thread he says these jeans have been washed "many" times and are ready for another.

I guess many is a relative term. compared to most of superfuture were washed many times, but a normal person would wash them way more. I've probably washed them 6 times. but I try to go as long as possible between washes.

the 1915s started out with a warm 2hr soak and a 5 minute cold hand wash. then I hand washed one with out soap a few months later, and then again with soap last week.

i definitely agree that erk's lvc stuff always turns out really well, and better than most of the stuff in this thread. i remember the 47s he posted some time ago were really impressive. i've decided to absolutely beat the shit out of my new-ish 47s. my job is extraordinarily brutal on pants (warehouse/ factory work), and with chicago hotter than hell's hinges presently, i'll see some interesting results. i'll be sure to post some pics.

I guess many is a relative term. compared to most of superfuture were washed many times, but a normal person would wash them way more. I've probably washed them 6 times. but I try to go as long as possible between washes.

Yeah, I try to hold off for a while before the first wash... but with a child in the house, I also want to keep things reasonably clean...

When I get to the point that I feel my jeans have to come off upon entering the home, then it's time to wash! For me, that's seems to hit around the 3-4 month mark.

Pretty happy with my 47's... about 4 months and counting. 1 machine wash at three months, and another last week...

LVC47-1.jpg

Well my Duck Pants arrived today. Much to my dismay the box came almost ripped open like it was opened and then sealed again. Well at least the pants were not damaged. Might of had to open them for customs reasons. They are really nice and a good soak should do them well. I didn't know they were made in Turkey. I assume they have the new Cone duck fabric? I will get pics up later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the guidance. I think I'll go for a 32/32. The 505 1967 isn't made in a 32/34 is it?

i had those 34s, and now have a size 36. both possessed longer inseams than tagged size. i don't know if that helps you at all, but just in case be aware that a pair of 67s with a tagged 32" inseam will likely measure something close to 33" or so.

Best way to get great wearing is to keep them outta water as much as possible.

New pair of '47 arrived today and I bought them oversized so need to shrink them. Will a first 30 degree wash (to get them to fit in the leg) mean that longer term it'll be harder to get good fades?

I usually soak in the bath but went for a 38" on the leg size so they eventually end up 34"

to wash (many times) or not to wash; that's the question

personally, after the initial wash I try to hold out as long as possible before the next wash (usually around 3-4 months mark) after that I usually throw them in the machine every month or so

New pair of '47 arrived today and I bought them oversized so need to shrink them. Will a first 30 degree wash (to get them to fit in the leg) mean that longer term it'll be harder to get good fades?

I usually soak in the bath but went for a 38" on the leg size so they eventually end up 34"

I've done it both ways and I get much better fades just wear'n them raw. It takes 3 or 4 good soaks to get most of the shrinkage out anyway so just wear'm baggy for a few months. I do.

to wash (many times) or not to wash; that's the question

personally, after the initial wash I try to hold out as long as possible before the next wash (usually around 3-4 months mark) after that I usually throw them in the machine every month or so

Even Levis says to keep them out of water as much as you can. It comes on the instructions with the jeans. Mine usually never hit the machine until they have the fades fully set so a year or so in.

Even Levis says to keep them out of water as much as you can. It comes on the instructions with the jeans. Mine usually never hit the machine until they have the fades fully set so a year or so in.

cheers for this advice

I'm a friend of early washes:

And your jeans actually look like vintage Levi's, rather than a manipulated, artificial idea of what vintage Levis should look like.

Wear, wear, wear, and then wash when dirty, that is the key. This having to go six months stuff is total BS.

it's hilarious we can have such a long-standing argument about an issue which is absolutely and completely subjective!

A lot depends on whether you like the look of unwashed denim. I do, but I generally soak because otherwise the jeans are too baggy.

There is no perfect way to soak/wash jeans. As Aleister Crowley said, "do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law."

To quote a wise man, okay well maybe not wise, but a man nevertheless.

4706554289_823bc47808_b.jpg

. . .

For those of you who are SO afraid to even wash your jeans.. smh

Pour some vinegar together with the water no matter machine wash or hand wash. Will greatly reduce the indigo loss ( works for normal clothing too ) i tried many times and it's actually quite effective.

( just wash when it gets too unbearable, smh at 6months - 1 year bullshit )

For those of you who are SO afraid to even wash your jeans.. smh

Pour some vinegar together with the water no matter machine wash or hand wash. Will greatly reduce the indigo loss ( works for normal clothing too ) i tried many times and it's actually quite effective.

( just wash when it gets too unbearable, smh at 6months - 1 year bullshit )

The use of vinegar is based on a fallacy. As people like ringring, SuFu's true denim guru, have pointed out, the indigo in your jeans is oxidised and has a neutral PH level. If you're noticing a difference, I suspect a placebo effect.

The use of vinegar is based on a fallacy. As people like ringring, SuFu's true denim guru, have pointed out, the indigo in your jeans is oxidised and has a neutral PH level. If you're noticing a difference, I suspect a placebo effect.

All I can say its whats worked best for me and what Levis themselves recommend. I've seen some awesome jaens that have been soaked but its rare that I see ones that have been in a normal wash and especially a drier that look all the great. Some of the coolest looking LVCs I've seen in a while were those ones Grant posted of his friends 1933s that had gone a couple years without hitting water. You can certainly do whatever you'd like but they can only be raw once. The last two pair I bought I did a presoak on and they are breaking in but not at as fast as when I leave them raw.

All I can say its whats worked best for me and what Levis themselves recommend. I've seen some awesome jaens that have been soaked but its rare that I see ones that have been in a normal wash and especially a drier that look all the great. Some of the coolest looking LVCs I've seen in a while were those ones Grant posted of his friends 1933s that had gone a couple years without hitting water. You can certainly do whatever you'd like but they can only be raw once. The last two pair I bought I did a presoak on and they are breaking in but not at as fast as when I leave them raw.

I wasn't going to comment on this again but..."Levi's themselves" recommend soaking.

And your jeans actually look like vintage Levi's, rather than a manipulated, artificial idea of what vintage Levis should look like.

Wear, wear, wear, and then wash when dirty, that is the key. This having to go six months stuff is total BS.

Thanks for all the nice reps and comments on my 47's. I agree totally, wear as much as you can or like and wash (the right way) when they're dirty. The 6 months rule is indeed bullshit (works on poor dyed stuff like Nudie e.g.). I like to wear all of my jeans pretty much before their first wash, at least until the first real creases are set. And it's a good idea to wear your jean for a while as real working dungaree. I like the idea to treat them like they've done in the older days (and finally to get a real vintage looking pair).

Thanks for all the nice reps and comments on my 47's. I agree totally, wear as much as you can or like and wash (the right way) when they're dirty. The 6 months rule is indeed bullshit (works on poor dyed stuff like Nudie e.g.). I like to wear all of my jeans pretty much before their first wash, at least until the first real creases are set. And it's a good idea to wear your jean for a while as real working dungaree. I like the idea to treat them like they've done in the older days (and finally to get a real vintage looking pair).

All I can say is look at those 1933s that Grant posted. Those look about as good as any LVCs I've seen. And if you're talking about the older days then you put them on a wore them in the mine for weeks and weeks getting soaks from sweet and water leaking into the mine. A week in there is = to 6 months on the bar stool. When they go so crusty that they couldn't be stood anymore they got beet wit ha rock or something on the side of a creek. There were no machines. DO what you like. I've done it both ways and I will continue to break jeans in the way I found works best for me. To say its bullshit though is just that.

Not the originals that I've seen and photos that I've seen of originals. THose look like ordinary MODERN jeans that were bought raw and washed normally. Just get a pair of regular raw STF and rock on in that case.

Oh man. Never thought I would say this, but can we just get back to sizing questions?