Levi's Vintage Clothing

A question for those who have bought jeans from the 2010S/S LVC run: what's your opinion of the new stuff after a bit of wear? It seemed like the folks in Belgium had revamped some of the standard models, judging by some of the comments I heard when this stuff hit the market.

Dr_Heech- I'm particularly interested in what you think about the new models- I remember you comparing LVC with Sugarcane and noting that the Sugarcane issues were superior in quality. Do the new LVC releases even the field some?

A question for those who have bought jeans from the 2010S/S LVC run: what's your opinion of the new stuff after a bit of wear? It seemed like the folks in Belgium had revamped some of the standard models, judging by some of the comments I heard when this stuff hit the market.

Dr_Heech- I'm particularly interested in what you think about the new models- I remember you comparing LVC with Sugarcane and noting that the Sugarcane issues were superior in quality. Do the new LVC releases even the field some?

Roy6

Hi bro, hope all is well.

Firstly, cant give you an answer to how the 2010 stuff wears, as my 1944's have had an initial soak but due to the warmer weather, haven't had much wear as yet. Although the cut on the 44's seems a slimmer cut but that could be me goin almost TTS !

Secondly, on the new models, the only ones I saw were the 44's, 47's, 55's and the 1873 duck pants (although at first glance was very impressed).

I have only bought two pairs of Sugarcanes (both older model 47's with arcs and tab), but was very impressed with construction, authentic cotton threads, hidden-rivet thickness, pocket bag material and overall finish.

IMO it was the cut that was more true to original post-war 501's than the LVC 47's (i think there is a general concensous that this is the case).

I think that from what I've seen in Cinch, and read here on sufu, that this new XX team are on the case, but IMHO there is still a way to go on redressing the balance quality-wise. The next couple of seasons' collections should prove interesting...

Hope this helps?

Anyone familiar with the Japanese Levi 1953? Good quality?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LVC-LEVI-53-501-SELVAGE-JEANS-34-JAPANESE-VERSION-BIG-E-/220595068948?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_CSA_MC_Jeans&hash=item335c7da014

Also, where can I buy suspenders to use on Levi's 1915, 1917, 1933... etc?

The 53 has always been a nice jean, one of the best Japanese ones, you get the 50s shape with the leather patch. If they stay around $200 they're a good buy.

I saw some great suspenders in a stall in the Truman Brewery market last weekend... sadly I pissed off the owner, who has a lot of Swedish army stuff, by taking pix in the past when he asked me not to, so he told me they weren't for sale... then informed the next customer they were £5.

Oh, I mixed it up. I thought you were the one, who actually bought a SS10 47. It was airfrogusmc. Maybe he could tell us about the denim.

I hope it's OK to repost some pics.

Heres a couple of the 47s. since we all have seen photos of them many times, worn, laid flat, etc I I thought I would touch on the things i found different from other years that I've owned.

Size difference

IMG_1121.jpg

Leather patch. Its really a nice one. Glad to see LVC has straightened this out. Those funky ones from a few years back were awful.

IMG_1124.jpg

cultizm said the '66 09/10 batch measured true to size i asked about the size 33' they said they were 33', after i measured em according to big size measuring they were about a 34, so they could be 1inch oversize

unless you arent supposed to even out the waist band before measuring

cultizm said the '66 09/10 batch measured true to size i asked about the size 33' they said they were 33', after i measured em according to big size measuring they were about a 34, so they could be 1inch oversize

unless you arent supposed to even out the waist band before measuring

Some people lay them flat, measure across the waist and double the measurement. Others match up the waist band and measure like BiG. There is usually about a one inch difference. Cultizm always measures the first way. It pays to ask how the vendor measures if you don't want to be disappointed. It's frustrating, but just one of the hazards of buying jeans online.

Oh, I mixed it up. I thought you were the one, who actually bought a SS10 47. It was airfrogusmc. Maybe he could tell us about the denim.

I hope it's OK to repost some pics.

Thomas,

The denim on the ss10 47s is the best I've seen on the 1947s. The 47s are still trim compared to the 55s & 44s and originals but the denim is just beautiful. Lets see this is me 3rd pair of 47s.

Cheers for that Roy,

yeah that's correct - Interesting to see your's have a YKK zipper. My current wearers are from June 1996 and have a small fiddly zip (and rnrswitch claims his is a talon), so that's three types of zipper, all of which are not authentic.

The 551Zxx is the predecessor to the 505. It started with the 501Zxx in '54(leather patch version, very rare) then paper patch 501Zxx 'till 1962, when the renamed 551Zxx was launched (to coincide with the 557XX jacket). Although IMHO the patch on the Lvc model is incorrect, as I believe the wording "every garment guaranteed" disappeared in '64. The 551 changed when they stopped putting XX on their jeans, and became the 505 in 1966. The zipper would have originally been a Gripper zipper (apart from the 1954 501Zxx, which sometimes had a Conmar type)

Love the denim on this Lvc model, one of the nicest from the old factory, with a heavy weight 14oz denim which if washed hot WILL shrink quite a bit, apparently. Mine have hit the washer once in thier lifetime. Will try and take some pics over the weekend.

Dr. Heech,

I am sorry to bring this up again, but my 551zxxs had a YKK zipper like ROY666's do. I believe I told you the wrong thing. It is my 505s that have a talon zipper... I believe. I may need to check when I get home. I just wanted to clear this up and make sure you got all the info.

These are 555 1873 Duck Pants that Dr Heech sold me after I complained that Cultizm wasn't offering any of the new production in a length over 34.

They are marked 38x38 but measure more like 36x36. The "selvage" on one side is overstitched. Very odd. The color is closest in the fit pics. I did one 40 degrees soak for a couple hours to shrink.

duckfront.jpg

duckback.jpg

duckinside.jpg

duckcuff.jpg

Hey mrs.witch, what kind of shrinkage did you get out of your zxxs?

Well Roy666, I actually didn't have them long enough to find out. I sold them cuz they didn't fit and I got them like super cheap ($25) on the bay. Seems somebody didn't know what they were selling. Sold them for a pretty penny though.

Well Roy666, I actually didn't have them long enough to find out. I sold them cuz they didn't fit and I got them like super cheap ($25) on the bay. Seems somebody didn't know what they were selling. Sold them for a pretty penny though.

God, you've gotta love the bay, when you don't hate it.

Some people lay them flat, measure across the waist and double the measurement. Others match up the waist band and measure like BiG. There is usually about a one inch difference. Cultizm always measures the first way. It pays to ask how the vendor measures if you don't want to be disappointed. It's frustrating, but just one of the hazards of buying jeans online.

yea, man - i never even though of asking that

edit: they are way to big, fccckkk

Dr. Heech,

I am sorry to bring this up again, but my 551zxxs had a YKK zipper like ROY666's do. I believe I told you the wrong thing. It is my 505s that have a talon zipper... I believe. I may need to check when I get home. I just wanted to clear this up and make sure you got all the info.

cheers rnrswitch.

Thanks for that, always wondered why I never saw another talon zip on the 551z.

The very limited Japanese edition of the 501z (the forebearer of the 551z) from years ago had a gripper zipper, does anybody know what zipper they use on the current lvc 501z?

These are 555 1873 Duck Pants that Dr Heech sold me after I complained that Cultizm wasn't offering any of the new production in a length over 34.

They are marked 38x38 but measure more like 36x36. The "selvage" on one side is overstitched. Very odd. The color is closest in the fit pics. I did one 40 degrees soak for a couple hours to shrink.

duckfront.jpg

duckback.jpg

duckinside.jpg

duckcuff.jpg

Entertainment,

Wow ! they're lookin great! Cant rep you again, but those ducks are a great fit on you (looks like you got the shrinkage correct).

What with these and your knappaves, you gotta great line-up comin on !

Maybe after a few lvc fans have bought the new duck pants, it will get it's own thread!?!

(still have another pair in the same size if anyones interested?)

The very limited Japanese edition of the 501z (the forebearer of the 551z) from years ago had a gripper zipper, does anybody know what zipper they use on the current lvc 501z?

There were some zippered lvc at Unionmade the last time I was in, but I don't remember what model they were. I'll stop in and look this weekend.

Which is the most appreciated, best, and/or favorite pair of Levi 501xx with one backpocket (ie. 1870, 1890, 1901). Opinions?

Any others I'm missing (not including distressed washes)?

Consensus is that the Nevada/Knappave style (with the little thigh pocket) is the most flattering, along with the 1890 - the 1901 is a lovely cut but has two pockets. I know the 1890 has excellent denim, I suspect the NEvada does too.

We had a post here of comparison photos, a few pages back, the the Oldest Oldest 9(ie the XX model) had a baggier ass - look for entertainment's posts.

Entertainment, you are becoming the master of those one-pocket jeans! I'll be washing my SDA and changing over to my 1890s soon, I have ground to make up...

duckinside.jpg

duckcuff.jpg

What are those black lines on the outseam? Is that the selvage? If so why is it visible on the outside? Nice lookin pants by the way. I don't think I have ever seen a "good" fit on those older model one pocket pants.

What are those black lines on the outseam? Is that the selvage? If so why is it visible on the outside? Nice lookin pants by the way. I don't think I have ever seen a "good" fit on those older model one pocket pants.

Those lines only occur near the selvage edge but are not actually part of the selvage. I can't tell you anything else. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable users can tell us more. I think Paul T also once said (IIRC) that this fabric was not a true selvage fabric while the new production was.

It's interesting what one sees in the pictures versus the mirror. I was surprised how fitted the yoke is since the seat is so anti-fit.

I think that I'm seriously digging the blue over brown. Rnr's Roy ducks in the same vein. Quack quack, hell yeah.

I don't think I could squeak another pair of old timey pants past the gf though. What with the 201s, some Wahmakers, and upsized Lee dungarees. (what price bracket are we thinking Dr. H?)

Which is the most appreciated, best, and/or favorite pair of Levi 501xx with one backpocket (ie. 1870, 1890, 1901). Opinions?

Any others I'm missing (not including distressed washes)?

I always like my 1886s and now my 1880 which are almost the same.

1886s new

IMG_0391.jpg

And after some wear

IMG_8713.jpg