Levi's Vintage Clothing

Yeah, thanks mate.

My new 44's are alot trimmer than I remember them to be. I did a warmish soak for 20 minutes. The denim didn't bleed that much, but the fit is great. Gonna wear 'em for as long as I can stand to....

Yes hardly any bleed on these 47s to. These are fuller than my old 47s but not as full as the 55s or the old 44s I had. This new cone denim sure is SWEET. This is different but just as good as the denim on my 1915s and I love that stuff. Oh and the leather patch is AWESOME. As good as any I've seen. Not that heavy coated plasticy stuff from a few years back.

Thanks 6

Here's the pics of the waistcoat -

FILEONE011.jpg

FILEONE013.jpg

FILEONE014.jpg

FILEONE012.jpg

FILEONE010.jpg

And here's the set (sorry all...promise this is the last time i post this pic!)

008.jpg

Interesting to note, the colour of your Japan duck jacket is similar in colour to the 1901 Duck pant (on the left) -

011.jpg

Would rep ya bro but I gotta spread it around. How much do ya gotta spread before you can someone again? Great stuff!!!!

Thanks Heech, that looks sharp. I have to say I prefer the color on your repro to the 1874 model. Interesting that there is only one button high on the chest.

The description is also interesting, maybe because I've never hunted: I was wondering what the large rear pockets on the back of the 1874 model were for, and my bf opined that they were for holding prey. I'm afraid I laughed at him. "What, for stuffing bloody little carcasses into and walking around with the bodies banging into your back and bleeding through your coat? Yeah, right."

Oops. City folk.

I didn't know there was a waistcoat- let's see?

SLAB- the Japanese Ebay seller starts his jackets at $330US, you can also still get size 38 jackets from Rakuten for around $430.

Can't rep you either Roy, would if I could.

Would rep ya bro but I gotta spread it around. How much do ya gotta spread before you can someone again? Great stuff!!!!

Thanks, I tried to rep you also but still gotta spread some more (dont really understand this rep business either)

Looking forward to some pix of those 47's. Regarding the top block - Are the thighs still trim and is the crotch still as unforgiving? Are they TTS?

Thanks Heech, that looks sharp. I have to say I prefer the color on your repro to the 1874 model. Interesting that there is only one button high on the chest.

The description is also interesting, maybe because I've never hunted: I was wondering what the large rear pockets on the back of the 1874 model were for, and my bf opined that they were for holding prey. I'm afraid I laughed at him. "What, for stuffing bloody little carcasses into and walking around with the bodies banging into your back and bleeding through your coat? Yeah, right."

Oops. City folk.

I didn't know there was a waistcoat- let's see?

Yes, the pockets are for holding game, and unless you clobber them with a shotgun at close range there usually isn't all that much blood. But occassionally you'll center a bird or pull the trigger when it's too close and you'll have a mess in your game pouch and on the seat of your jeans (as I can attest to).

I'm trying to figure out what sort of hunting these garments are designed for, and my guess would be upland birds (grouse and quail) and small game (rabbits and squirrels). The garment is intended to protect from briars, etc, but be lose fitting enough to permit swinging a shotgun and let in enough air to keep you comfortable as you hike for miles.

Sorry, I've mixed it up. Lilac arcs and the "R", my bad...:eek:

Ah, someone plz tell me where to buy that awesome hunting jacket...

Which one?

roy's jacket is available on ebay (and Ratuken i think?), and my jacket is old stock, but they are re-issuing it in this years fall collection.

hey doc thanks so much for reposting those pics. i live the cotton duck stuff.

i could finally rep you, after such a long time , and i think this will be the last for a long time again.

your jacket is going to be re-issued? where did you read that, did i miss something again. why is there so few official infos on the lvc stock!!!!!

hey doc thanks so much for reposting those pics. i live the cotton duck stuff.

i could finally rep you, after such a long time , and i think this will be the last for a long time again.

your jacket is going to be re-issued? where did you read that, did i miss something again. why is there so few official infos on the lvc stock!!!!!

I think Paul mentioned that the duck pants were being re- issued spring 2010, and the jacket in the coming fall 2010 collection.

I've seen the duck pants (and 'closed front jumper') and the fabric is fantastic.

I really must take my 555 ducks up to Cinch the next time I go there, and compare them to the 2010 ducks.

Many thanks for the rep mate....

yes i have seen the duck pants on the cultizm page, and we have been discussing the comparison with the japanese version.

great to hear. i should start to save.

did paul already tell us how much his bag shrank ?

Thanks, I tried to rep you also but still gotta spread some more (dont really understand this rep business either)

Looking forward to some pix of those 47's. Regarding the top block - Are the thighs still trim and is the crotch still as unforgiving? Are they TTS?

They are not as trim as the older 1947s but still trimmer than the 55s and originals from the era. Much better though. I don't know why they just didn't fix the pattern. They changed it but still kept it a bit to trim.

Heres a couple of the 47s. since we all have seen photos of them many times, worn, laid flat, etc I I thought I would touch on the things i found different from other years that I've owned.

Size difference

IMG_1121.jpg

I've only done a cold soak on the new ones the older 47s are probably fully shrunk but have been stretched back fully in the waist in these photos. They are clearly a couple inches smaller in the waist and the pockets are even smaller on the older ones.

Leather patch. Its really a nice one. Glad to see LVC has straightened this out. Those funky ones from a few years back were awful.

IMG_1124.jpg

And a better red tag without the circle R.

IMG_1126.jpg

Blinking 'eck, give a guy a break, fellas! It's in the wash now, ok? Been patching the nipper's jean to go in at the same time.

Duckbeingwashed.jpg

Thanks for posting the 47 airfrog. I know we've discussed this before, but I hope they keep the old 47 shape - I like the contrast with the 55. New leather patch is a definite improvement, likewise the red tag.

Yeah they're not as trim as the old ones but definitely have a more form fitting shape than the 55s. They still kept the more shapely back pockets to. I'd say with the denim upgrade this stuff rocks and the small changes these are really nice jeans.

airfrog, thanks for the comparison shots!

question, is your true waist a 36 or 38? if you could fit into the older 47s, wouldn't the new ones be too big?

The older 47s I could wear but were VERY TIGHT. Kinda looked silly actually. To tight even after the stretch back. I'm a true 38. My 55s ROCK fit wise as do these new 47s.

the 47 looks nice. do you think they will fade differently from the ones up tp 09?

in which areas are they larger/wider than their predecessor?

And you said old ones are a couple inches smaller - on the pic it looks just a touch bigger, so i recon I may size down one inch compared to 09.

Lots of questions..sorry.

the 47 looks nice. do you think they will fade differently from the ones up tp 09?

in which areas are they larger/wider than their predecessor?

And you said old ones are a couple inches smaller - on the pic it looks just a touch bigger, so i recon I may size down one inch compared to 09.

Lots of questions..sorry.

Thomas,

I think they're pretty much shaped the same just not as small as some earlier years. I thought that the 09s were true to size also Paul?

If they fade anything like my 1915s I'm i for a treat.

Here's the pics of the waistcoat -

FILEONE011.jpg

Of all the duck pieces I've seen, I think this vest is maybe my favorite so far. Thanks hee- um, Dr_Heech, for posting all of those. I'd never seen the vest before.

Was there any note of the year model your set was based on?

Of all the duck pieces I've seen, I think this vest is maybe my favorite so far. Thanks hee- um, Dr_Heech, for posting all of those. I'd never seen the vest before.

Was there any note of the year model your set was based on?

Ha Ha

Thankyou ROY 6, they're all ticketed as 1873. Shame the only little booklet I have is with the jacket, would been cool to have had the Lvc description for that waistcoat (had a few pairs of the pants with the booklet before)

S'funny how they were practically giving this stuff away in 2002/3 at places like TKMaxx, and even Cinch for about £20. The last time I saw a complete set for sale was last year (about £400!)

I'm sure some sufu members here have some squirrered away somewhere...

You gonna buy the MIJ duck pants too ?

Dr_, I'll pass on the duck pants. I have a pile of jeans that should last me a couple years already. That's the good thing about jackets- you don't

necessarily have to wear them for a year before they start looking really good, and so aren't such a commitment. Or so I think.

1873? Weird, I wonder if there isn't some LVC disconnect on the duck hunting jacket models. It doesn't seem likely that the outfit would have changed so dramatically in one year. I thought somehow that the suit you have was a later model, from the very early 1900s, and the Japanese 1874 model was an earlier version of the same basic item?

I've seen an order sheet for the F/W LVC stuff, and saw an entry for a "1874" hunting jacket, I thought they were reproducing the LVC Japan jacket, but maybe they were referring to your model?

I'm pretty thoroughly confused now. Which came first?

At any rate, thanks again for the photos. The vest is amazing.

Setterman- thanks for the explanation of some of the hunting jacket features. I'd have thought the whole thing would be a lot bloodier. How different are modern hunting jackets from the 1873 models? I;m sure they use different materials, goretex and whatnot, but is the basic cut similar to these old Levi's jackets?

By popular demand... I washed the damn bag.

Just to remind, the cotton duck on the new range of LVC is a new fabric developed by Cone - a true selvage, which I think was not the case with its predecessor.

Henry at Cone kindly sent me a shouldr bag made with the new farbic. . It was not especially worn, just a bit grubby, but I washed it so we can get a fix on the shrinkae and how it looks.

Here's the bag, unwashed.

Unwashedbag.jpg

Unwasheddetail.jpg

Here it is, post-wash. It's softer than before, but still a heavy fabric, and it's an absolute bugger to iron. I had it on steam. I think it looks terrific, almost agricultural in feel. The color is off on the first detail shot, only 1 and 3 are accurate, but I wanted to cpmare like with like.

washedbag.jpg

I've color-corrected this as best as I can and it's pretty much accurate. THis fabric really crocks, more than the denim. Gives a really good, weatherbeaten look after just one wash, and looks far more three-dimensional than when it was raw. I was surprised how good, and gnarly, it looks.

Washeddetailadjusted.jpg

THis one is marginally more accurate for color:

washeddetail2.jpg

Shrinkage of cotton duck

Laid flat, the bag measured 21 3/4. After a 40 degree wash, it came in at 21 1/4 - one inch of shrinkage.

On the pants themselves, the waist shrinkage might be different as the fabric is laid differently, but I think it's probably accurate to allow for 5% shrinkage, rather than 10%.