Levi's Vintage Clothing

Setterman- thanks for the explanation of some of the hunting jacket features. I'd have thought the whole thing would be a lot bloodier. How different are modern hunting jackets from the 1873 models? I;m sure they use different materials, goretex and whatnot, but is the basic cut similar to these old Levi's jackets?

A couple pound bird doesn't have a lot of blood in them, so there isn't too much to make a mess if you only hit them with a few pellets. Hit them at close range in the center of your pattern though, and it ruins the bird and makes a mess. I did that last September and wound up with a white T-shirt that looks like someone painted the lower rear half of it brown, and some LVC 44s that have blood stains on the back pockets. Now I make sure I have a plastic grocery bag in my rear pouch to put the birds into first, just incase I get too excited and pull the trigger on a bird at too close of range again.

Nowadays hunting clothing is very specialized. But, if the Levis duck cloth jackets were intended as upland bird hunting clothing, here's their modern version from Filson.

http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2092525&cp=2065674.2065689.2117298&parentPage=family

I wouldn't wear that jacket though unless I was planning on going into very heavy, thorny cover, or it was pretty cold out. That jacket's not going to breath at all, and you're going to be sweating very quickly (bird hunting you're following a dog, and always moving). On warmer fall days I wear a crappy reproduction M-41 field jacket, and on colder days I wear my worn out Buzz Rickson tanker jacket, and I throw a blaze orange pouched vest on over either of them. I've got a pair of Filson tin chaps for when its wet out or I'm expecting to be in thorny cover.

Here's a picture of the setter and I after a trip to the preserve last year before hunting season started. He's super pissed in that picture and wants at the birds.

mebrycebirds-1.jpg

mebrycebirds-1.jpg

Look out! You'll scare us metrosexuals!

I went clay pigeon shooting for my stag day around 18 months ago, I enjoyed brandishing a shotgun but was frighthened by some of the spotty geeks in camo gear. You and your hound look much more acceptable. You should run a series of photos in wayjdt, I prefer this fast food to the burger and BBQ joints we've had recently.

Setterman, the expression on your dog's face in that picture is priceless. You have to love their single-mindedness, and the way they barely tolerate you when you get in the way.

So the kind of hunting jacket we're talking about here is intended to carry a lot of stuff while being as unobtrusive as possible? That makes sense- the LVCJ hunting jacket isn't very warm at all, especially with the open underarm seams and fairly open, high buttoned front. Good to know it won't be a drag on my arms when I finally pull out that shotgun.

I wonder if we have a washed model to look forward to from LVC- the "birdhunter", with bloodstains soaked through the front or rear pouches, briar rips on the body, and a cleverly reproduced shotgun blast taking out one shoulder.

Setterman, the expression on your dog's face in that picture is priceless. You have to love their single-mindedness, and the way they barely tolerate you when you get in the way.

So the kind of hunting jacket we're talking about here is intended to carry a lot of stuff while being as unobtrusive as possible? That makes sense- the LVCJ hunting jacket isn't very warm at all, especially with the open underarm seams and fairly open, high buttoned front. Good to know it won't be a drag on my arms when I finally pull out that shotgun.

I wonder if we have a washed model to look forward to from LVC- the "birdhunter", with bloodstains soaked through the front or rear pouches, briar rips on the body, and a cleverly reproduced shotgun blast taking out one shoulder.

Yes, you're going to be carrying a lot of stuff. Modern hunters is going to need pockets and pouches for game, shells, leash, water for yourself and the dog (and a small dish for him), e-collar controller (though mine is usually hanging off my neck), and if you're going to be a ways a way from your vehicle a compass or gps, a first aid kit and maybe some food. So lightweight, when it comes to every piece of gear, is important.

I like the sound of the "birdhunter" model jacket. I'd gladly tear up and blood stain some jackets for Levis, for a nominal fee of course. ;-)

thanks paul for the infos and the great pics. the bag looks amazine.

just checked out the cultizm page again and they call em shrink to fit pants. so i wonder if they only will shrink an inch?

thanks paul for the infos and the great pics. the bag looks amazine.

just checked out the cultizm page again and they call em shrink to fit pants. so i wonder if they only will shrink an inch?

You think they might shrink more? I'd be surprised. I think you might get some more shrinkage with another wash, but the bag only had one inch of shrinkage on a 40 inch circumference.

The g/f ironed the bag properly, it looks far better washed... looks all gnarly and old, it crocks more than denim, i think.

Look out! You'll scare us metrosexuals!

You're always welcome to take a trip down to the Cotswolds mate!

Actually, although I'm not 'into' hunting, I sometimes do some 'lamping' for people who do and the gear they wear is green/brown mottled modern camo waterproofing with all the specs that Setterman mentioned for shells, torch ..etc. Typical hunting gear for the Brit weather (cold, rainy..)

Love the bag Paul, thanks for the pics and info.

With all this talk of duck jackets and the like, I forgot that I have a vintage duck blanket-lined jacket which I use for drystone-walling in the winter months. It's due its' annual wash soon, so I'll bring it home from work and take some pics (its a 1970's Lee 91-LJ type, so I'll have to post on the Leepro thread).

Fardin, you will love it!

I like jacket, and as much as I appreciate it being named after me, we need something tacky like they do with the pre-distressed jeans (Guts for Garters, Rootless, Pitchfork, Touched, etc). Unfortunately I'm not quick enough to come up with something smart off the top of my head.

So, how much are we going to tack onto the price tag for that "wash" Roy? Worth at least an extra $300, don'tcha think?

I like jacket, and as much as I appreciate it being named after me, we need something tacky like they do with the pre-distressed jeans (Guts for Garters, Rootless, Pitchfork, Touched, etc). Unfortunately I'm not quick enough to come up with something smart off the top of my head.

So, how much are we going to tack onto the price tag for that "wash" Roy? Worth at least an extra $300, don'tcha think?

How about "Lefty"?

I think it should retail for about $650US. Each one comes with spent shotgun shells and realistically blood-soaked 1870s Levi's selvedge jean cuff (used as tourniquet).

No jinx, by the way, Setterman.

I say call it Hunting With Dick

What about 'trigger happy', included is an inflatable moose skull, a compass and four cases of Coors. Price: $1873.00

.. and Mr. 6, you do have waay too much time on your hands, maybe you could photoshop an entire Lvc catalogue range?

anyone please?

You probably wont get much joy here, as this is the Levis vintage clothing thread, and I dont know if there is a TYPE 1 thread (although there is the small questions thread)?

I've seen them in TKMaxx and they run about an inch and a half larger than tag size (at a guess) in the waist.

What about 'trigger happy', included is an inflatable moose skull, a compass and four cases of Coors. Price: $1873.00

.. and Mr. 6, you do have waay too much time on your hands, maybe you could photoshop an entire Lvc catalogue range?

Don't tempt me. I already see a "stumpy" 37-501, and a "rope burns" 20s golfshirt,

Has anyone had a chance to compare spring '10 with prior years ('47)? I just received a new pair. The fit seems tts, if not slightly smaller in the waist. The denim seems quite thin (pre-soak) and lacks rigidity. When compared to my '67's, the denim seems mediocre ( though I prefer the fit). I tried on a pair of spring '08 47's at a place near me and, from what I can remember, they felt tougher. My new pair is so thin I can see my cell phone screen through the back pockets. I'm looking to wear them raw until they loosen up enough to prevent death by soak.

Has anyone had a chance to compare spring '10 with prior years ('47)? I just received a new pair. The fit seems tts, if not slightly smaller in the waist. The denim seems quite thin (pre-soak) and lacks rigidity. When compared to my '67's, the denim seems mediocre ( though I prefer the fit). I tried on a pair of spring '08 47's at a place near me and, from what I can remember, they felt tougher. My new pair is so thin I can see my cell phone screen through the back pockets. I'm looking to wear them raw until they loosen up enough to prevent death by soak.

I have a pair of 2010 1947s 501s and the denim is really nice on the pair I have. The correct weight 12 oz pre soak. No thinner than the two previous 47s I've had. I did a comparison of an older pair from a few years back and the 2010. Heres the link scroll down to post #8280

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=14314&page=828

the denim of my 2010 1947s seems nicer than that of any previous pair i've had over the past few years. i definitely like it better than the denim of my '67s. although, a few weeks back i decided to go ahead and wear my '67s to work daily (i don't usually do this because my job is extraordinarily hard on whatever pants i'm wearing; they typically end up pretty destroyed after just a short tme) and have been pleased with the results. i thnk the '67s look ok once they're really beat up -- at least the fit seems to improve.

. My new pair is so thin I can see my cell phone screen through the back pockets. I'm looking to wear them raw until they loosen up enough to prevent death by soak.

Yikes! Please don't do that. Soak them twice and figure out a way to stretch that waist if you have to.

I agree Airfrog.

12oz is 12oz Oak denim. Cone Mills has a deserved reputation. So does Levis. Why would LVC suddenly revise sizing or denim on their true repro. Their reputation could be destroyed easily.

We shouldn't under-estimate these forums and their memory. LVC has been working hard this year on all the bricks-and-mortar shops to sell LVC, and they know it's a denim-purist market. Tough audience.

A friend of mine was highly courted here in Philly by LVC to carry them. They know their market well Web/blog hype would destroy them if they suddenly changed the Coke formula.