Levi's Vintage Clothing

• 2 weeks later...

Im not entirely sure where should I ask this but I think this thread might be appropriate,

I recently picked up a NOS levis ( non LVC) they are made in US with paper tag. Inside label code states they are from 1997 .

The top button has 553 stamped on it. Anybody knows which factory does the 553 represent?

I wouldn't have thought that the 554 stamp has quite the level of premium that the 555 has, so they'd be worth more than the 'standard' models but not as much as Valencia St ones. But I could be wrong. Let the market decide!

They might not be as valuable as 555s, but they're USA Made, by Levis, LVC.  That makes 'em worth more than the current line for sure. ;-)

I recently picked up a pair of 555 551ZXXs made in '98.  The difference between then and now it pretty surprising (mostly in the denim itself).  If LVC was making a product today, that was in line with what they made then, then the current going rate of $250 to $285 for raw jeans would be fair.  As it is, what they're currently make is a $150 product, at best.   

Uh, are you sure? So this is unfortunately bullshit:

"Levi’s® Vintage Clothing reproduces each of the most historically significant 501® jeans from the past 122 years exactly as they were when they were first introduced. Every last detail—including the fabric, fit, sundries and even packaging—are obsessively recreated so that today’s fanatics can purchase and wear a pair of Historic 501® jeans as if they were living in a bygone era." (from the LVC website)

Afaik Levi's used both Amoskeag and Cone Denim til 1927 (and from then only Cone). Using japdenim on the repros doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by dr.house

The 1915 was the first Levi's model to use Cone denim. Prior to that it was natural indigo denim from Amoskeag. LVC use Cone for the relevant LVC models from the years when Cone supplied it and Japanese denim for the Amoskeag years. 1967 is the exception simply because it is sanforized.

EDIT: I'm sure Dr House. Levi's didn't start using Cone until the early 20th century, hence the recent release of the 1915 model to celebrate this fact. Prior to that it was solely Amoskeag and the earlier LVC models reflect this to some extent via the use of Japanese denim. You're right that they used denim from both mills for a short period though.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

I think he's busy with other things and on a Sufu hiatus. You've been absent yourself lately and many of the old faces have gone now. I think many people have got bored/moved on or think this forum has run it's course now and it's the same old questions being asked over and over. Often this is the case because newer members (understandably) can't be bothered to read 600+ pages of an LVC or Samurai thread to get up to speed.

A number have defected to Denimbro too, which is another fine resource.

Uh, are you sure? So this is unfortunately bullshit:

"Levi’s® Vintage Clothing reproduces each of the most historically significant 501® jeans from the past 122 years exactly as they were when they were first introduced. Every last detail—including the fabric, fit, sundries and even packaging—are obsessively recreated so that today’s fanatics can purchase and wear a pair of Historic 501® jeans as if they were living in a bygone era." (from the LVC website)

Well, we've all known that's bullshit for quite a while, right? ;-)  

Edited by setterman