Levi's Vintage Clothing

Count me in as a '55 > '47 cut. I like a top block that fits my entire top block (geezer concept).

Disclaimer: This is mostly a LVC interpretation criticism. I've been told I'd be very happy with an SC '47 as the rise is longer and the thighs are larger.

Count me in as a '55 > '47 cut. I like a top block that fits my entire top block (geezer concept).

Disclaimer: This is mostly a LVC interpretation criticism. I've been told I'd be very happy with an SC '47 as the rise is longer and the thighs are larger.

The LVC 47's reflecting the way bikers wear 'em in the older days. Uh, paper tags will also age gracefully.

I assume they're from the 1920s or 30s as they have belt loops and exposed rivets.

My 47's fit me like the 55 fit other people. Cause of skinny legs. I like the denim on the 47 better also. Really takes some time to fade but it's worth it. Great contrast between faded and dark areas. The 55 are super cool too but they're a bit baggier than I like.

I'm sure I've said it before, but I'll say it again.... I don't know why the '47s are the "it" model when it comes to LVC. From my personal experience and the pictures I've seen of others wearing the 55s, they seem to be a cut that fits everyone pretty damn well. Can't recall seeing a bad pair in fit or fade.

i understand why, but i think the real gems of the lvc line are the early jeans... every japanese brand has a 47, 55, and 66 in heavier denim, but very few make the bucklebacks in proper cuts and denim weight. i know most people around here like the 14+oz, but here in FL 10 oz is perfect for most of the year.

@Dom

They were the first capital E reissues, made before Levis Vintage Clothing was born. They were made 0594, according to the info on the tag you have given. They are a generic 1966 based repro, but made with the same denim as some of the early Lvc IIRC.

Nice find, and with the box too. Hope you didnt pay too much for 'em?

Thanks for the help.

Around $115 including shipping. Thought it was good considering LVC prices now.

I just bought and received these off eBay!

I know these aren't LVC, but...

Anyone know the age on these? I think they're based on the 1966 cut.

Behind the inner tag, it reads:

555 0594 47513-4

501 0001

Anyone else seen/own these? Like/dislike?

Sorry, I didn't notice this, but I see Dr Heech has answered comprehensively.

THese have lovely, very hairy fabric, very like late 60s Levi's; please do post as many photos as you can because we've not had a decent pair of these recently.(The whole front, the whole abck, and the insides). I suspect these will wear in very nicely - good pickup.

okay, maybe not the correct thread but any of you who own or handled Roy's; since he's using Cone denim as well , with which Levis denim does Roy corresponds the most? the type 47, 55?

Looks early 80's to me.

just seems odd that the denim weight would go up during the war... would have made more sense to keep it the same. anyone handled vintgae war models to tell if its correct? i know that lvc uses the wrong type of rivets, so i wouldnt put it past them to use a too heavy denim

just seems odd that the denim weight would go up during the war... would have made more sense to keep it the same. anyone handled vintgae war models to tell if its correct? i know that lvc uses the wrong type of rivets, so i wouldnt put it past them to use a too heavy denim

I agree with your logic cheap. Perhaps the denim weight actually increased to 12oz prior to 1944 but retaining the 1937 style. Then in 1944 the denim weight stayed the same while the style changed.

EDIT: Just read Paul T's excellent blog and he suggests the weight did decrease for the 44 model and was increased back to the 37 weight in 1947.

http://www.trynka.net/trynka.net/501_1944.html

I agree with your logic cheap. Perhaps the denim weight actually increased to 12oz prior to 1944 but retaining the 1937 style. Then in 1944 the denim weight stayed the same while the style changed.

EDIT: Just read Paul T's excellent blog and he suggests the weight did decrease for the 44 model and was increased back to the 37 weight in 1947.

Yes, quote from Paul T.: "For the LVC repros, denim weight is usually 12oz, compared to the 12.5 or 13oz of the 1937 and 1947 jeans. "

I could have sworn that I've also read somewhere else that 44's are made of lightweight denim. My information below is from my LVC book, my 44's feel nevertheless lighter. Maybe the weight depends on the production year?

That is, if you are going to believe the words of a second rate hack writer.

i just wanted to say hello to everyone. i've been reading this thread for years now and decided to register and say hello. i'm into vintage clothing/denim and have been for years. i used to have an extensive collection of originals but as prices rose so dramatically i've sold all my original levis and at present have many several prs. of LVC (too many in fact) which i can wear in without the associated guilt. only originals i have anymore are 1pr lee 101b,1 pr blue bell wrangler 11mwz, and a mint stormrider. i just recently sold my NOS 11mjz jacket. like all of you i love LVC hence my reading for years and i finally thought it time to say hello.