Levi's Vintage Clothing

I was on the TUbe Wednesday afternoon, a guy next to me looked rather peaky, I saw his expression change, he mouthed the words "sorry!" as I leapt out of my seat and down the carriage about a half second before he started puking up.

All sympathy for my fellow human being evaporated in the primeval urge to protect my raw denim. I felt simultaneously triumphant and ashamed.

I think I'd rather smell like a fire pit than puke!

My 3rd wash really gave it a shrink esp. in the waist. It's stretching out now but maybe I was just use to it before...?

I really like the 33... I haven't worn my 37's in probably 6 months at least...

I might have to get another pair of the 33's for when the time comes...

Seems like the kind of thing the Levis Archives would want to snap up. Be interested to see what happens...

Amazing. That would suggest there is at least one other knocking around. Your post has inspired me to pull out my old Sharpeye hunting jacket for the weekend

Dropped into Cinch today and there were a few guys over from Amsterdam. Very interesting. And I tried on that closed-top jumper. A tricky one, but very tempting for summer wear. AS you said, the cotton duck pants look absolutely terrific, altho I'm not too tempted, with my 1890s still sitting under my bed.

More seriously, I did my accounts yesterday, and my 555 201 will definitely be hitting the 'Bay :^(

Dunno, but it's identical to that japanese repro I just posted a link to on ebay.

Cant see anything on the rivets...maybe an early competitor?

Without looking closely at the rivets it's impossible to be certain, but it has to be Levi's. It's old, and there were few compettors who used rivets pre 1890s, because they were so zealous about suing anyone infringing their copyright.

Looking at that jacket, with all its leather straps, all of which used to be riveted on saddles and other gear, it's pretty obvious how Jacob Davis first got his inspiration.

great find guys. yes it looks like the repro, although it does not say levis on it. do you guys think they would do such a similar copy of a levis jacket back then ?

funny it makes it very tempting to buy the other hunting jacket.

here is the link to it again, the one thats also on display at levis

http://www.jeans-neshi.com/mensjeanskan/levis/xx-aitem/deadstock/70200-1410.htm

i know one day i am going to be disappointed for not getting it

I was on the TUbe Wednesday afternoon, a guy next to me looked rather peaky, I saw his expression change, he mouthed the words "sorry!" as I leapt out of my seat and down the carriage about a half second before he started puking up.

All sympathy for my fellow human being evaporated in the primeval urge to protect my raw denim. I felt simultaneously triumphant and ashamed.

Paul, were you on the Puke-adilly line or was it the Hammersick & City?

I've always suspected that LVC Japan took more liberties with their repros, but maybe not, after seeing that original 1874 hunting jacket.

I've wondered if this jacket, also LVC Japan, was based on an original in the same material. Does anyone know if Levis made the WWII type 506 in other materials? This one is in a sort of light colored khaki pique.

4445706865_65b1aafb60_o.jpg

I recently purchased a used pair of Levis 1947 501 and I was surprised when they arrived. They obviously seemed to be a worn a bit but there's absolutely no creases in the denim, the denim is just very flat and light in weight throughout. What's up with this?

if you bought them used then they shouldnt be as good as perfect condition

copped some lvc 1917 501xx, made in usa. as i haven't seen a lot of these, here are the pre-soak measurements:

W: 16"

FR: 13"

BR: 16"

Thigh: 12"

Knee: 9.75"

Hem: 9"

Inseam: 33.5"

does anyone know which mill produced this denim? the back of the buttons have the code 4170.

lvc-1917-501-arcuate.jpg

lvc-1917-501-closeup.jpg

lvc-1917-501-selvage.jpg

lvc-1917-501-patch-pocket.jpg

The 1917 is Kurabo. These should fade nicely, I suspect not too differently from the 1901, which is discussed a few pages back, although the fill yarn looks a little whiter on these.

I had a word with some LVC guys yesterday. Although I was told some time ago that Cone were definitely going to do all the pre 1915 denim, there seems to be no news on that.

Who did the denim on this season's 1890s??

**EDIT - Looks to be Cone based on this info...

http://www.shopfarinellis.com/pa-733-2-90-0-1890-501-rigid.aspx

The 1917 is Kurabo. These should fade nicely, I suspect not too differently from the 1901, which is discussed a few pages back, although the fill yarn looks a little whiter on these.

I had a word with some LVC guys yesterday. Although I was told some time ago that Cone were definitely going to do all the pre 1915 denim, there seems to be no news on that.

I've always suspected that LVC Japan took more liberties with their repros, but maybe not, after seeing that original 1874 hunting jacket.

I've wondered if this jacket, also LVC Japan, was based on an original in the same material. Does anyone know if Levis made the WWII type 506 in other materials? This one is in a sort of light colored khaki pique.

4445706865_65b1aafb60_o.jpg

Roy

AFAIK the only pique type material range that Levis did were the 557XX versions made from '62 onward. They came in Pique, sateen and twill (840Bxx, 941Bxx and 940Bxx). I've never seen any twill Levis 506xx or S506xx versions, although I've watched hundreds of westerns from the 30's -'50's and have often seen type 1 and 2 style 'riders' jackets in twill materials. Whether or not they were Levis, I couldn't tell (no red tabs or any other identifying features).

I have both the 1917s and the 1915s and I prefer the cone denim on the 1915s.