Levi's Vintage Clothing

To summarize, brielfy:

All 501 are STF - ie will shrink - including the zipper model, 501Z.

Earlier models like the 201 are STF too.

Levis' were late on the scene with Sanforized jeans - their first were the Lady Levi's, the 701, in the late 30s or thereabouts. Later zipper models like the 551Z are Sanforized. Orange tab jeans are Sanforized.

Early jackets - Type 1 and type 2, or Lt No 506 and 507are STF, but the trucker, or Woodstock, or 557 jacket is Sanforized.

AS pointed out before here, nearly all the STF for 501 models from the 20s onwards is still made by Cone.

LVC tend to get their Sanforized fanric from Kaihara. As ringring pointed out in another thread, some of the Japanese distressed jeans, I think the 1933 or 37, use Sanforized fabric, so they can add whiskers etc and not worry about them moving once washed.

If someone pays that much for them then yes they're worth that much, by definition. Watch the auction and see what they go for and you'll have your answer.

My LVC 1947s at around 3 months of wear.

IMG_2988.jpg?t=1244836289

IMG_2989.jpg?t=1244836288

I tried searching the thread to find the definition of "hard wash" that I believe I've heard Paul T mention, but couldn't find it. Can anyone help me out? I'm thinking of washing these soon.

Alright, it's been 3 months. Should I handwash? No real fades yet...

EDIT: Or should I just throw them in the wash? I've only done the pre-soak and I think they could shrink a lot more.

Hand wash definitely. In general, I would go with a hand wash anytime you plan on washing your jeans. It just gives you much more control over your jeans. I cuff my jeans and they get the crease marks on the fold and eventually develop cracks/tears. If I hand wash I don't have to worry too much about ripping the jeans even more.

Ahhh. Go ahead and machine wash them on hot. It won't matter. I just recommend hand washing, that is, if you are not looking for extra shrinkage or something.

Ahhh. Go ahead and machine wash them on hot. It won't matter. I just recommend hand washing, that is, if you are not looking for extra shrinkage or something.

Well, damn. I was hoping to be talked out of it, but I guess I'll go for it. Wish me luck (I'm nervous...).

EDIT: Done, but I'm a little worried about this huge vertical crease that formed from hooking around the middle of the washer machine. Hopefully it goes away.

Well, damn. I was hoping to be talked out of it, but I guess I'll go for it. Wish me luck (I'm nervous...).

EDIT: Done, but I'm a little worried about this huge vertical crease that formed from hooking around the middle of the washer machine. Hopefully it goes away.

If you washed them inside out you won't have to worry about it. Either way, even if it stays there are a lot of great looking vintage jeans that have creases from washing which look great. It adds a bit of character.

Did levis produce any 201s that were made in waist sizes above 36? Exclude the 1937 201s they made in 1996 because they're inaccurate...

I'm pretty sure that the 2007 201s came in a 38, but I could be mistaken. They run pretty big, so you could probably get away with a 36 if you soak them with a hanger in the waistband.

Just threw my 47s in the wash and I'm kind of regretting it. The fit is exponentially better, but it basically looks like I haven't put any wear in my jeans for the past three months. Lesson learned.

Just threw my 47s in the wash and I'm kind of regretting it. The fit is exponentially better, but it basically looks like I haven't put any wear in my jeans for the past three months. Lesson learned.

We've all made that mistake at one time or another. I usually go at least 4 months before the first soak. Just wear'm baggy for a while. Its just temporary and the results will be worth it. Hot wash and dryer = removeing all the startch and stiffness thats in raw denim. To get the fades set in my opinion works best when the denim is raw. After the fades are all set which can take a good deal of time because one day in the mine or a week in the fields = months on the bar stool.

We've all made that mistake at one time or another. I usually go at least 4 months before the first soak. Just wear'm baggy for a while. Its just temporary and the results will be worth it. Hot wash and dryer = removeing all the startch and stiffness thats in raw denim. To get the fades set in my opinion works best when the denim is raw. After the fades are all set which can take a good deal of time because one day in the mine or a week in the fields = months on the bar stool.

My mistake was just not machine washing them when this pair first arrived to get the shrinkage out. They're much snugger and will probably fade easier anyway. They're still extremely dark, so I'll probably get pretty decent fades in a few months.

Maybe you haven't put any wear in the jeans for the past 3 months. All is not lost. Jeans don't look great after 3 months of wear unless you are some super hectic active nut who works out in the jeans and slides on rock piles.

I disagree with Airfrog on this one. I don't think it really matters how long before you wash. If the jeans are made of good denim they will still look nice after a year of constant wear and washing every three months or so, even if the fade is not super contrasty.

I've done it both ways and always prefered keeping them raw as long as possible. They can only be raw once and a good deal of those vintage Levis you see with the killer fades were worn as work wear so they would have been put on new and worn until they got so rank or so covered with crap they owner couldn't stand ot anymore and then they didn't have modern washers. In my opinion the agitation from the machine really softens the denim to much and again they can only be raw once.

I dont mean any disrespect to airfrog, but I think its just silly to not soak your unsanforized jeans.

just soak them.

I can't imagine the effect of one cold or hot soak would be in anyway noticeable in the long run. In fact what will be noticeable is the fact that your knee whiskers 2.5 inches higher than your actual knee.

airfrog can do as he likes with his. but I firmly recommend to anyone who is going to be wearing LVCs made of unsanforized denim to get them wet in some way shape or form before wearing them.

and I completely forgot to mention the ridiculous indigo stains you will find yourself leaving around if you dont soak. its bad enough when soaked, its terrible when raw.

word to the wise.

I always soak - but it doesn't make that much difference. I've had the Lee Japan sanforized - which turned out not to be - I dind't soak, and the fading did't move noticeably. Whiskers won't move, knee fades might move one inch. It's a valid approach if you like that new unsoaked look.

This might be a more historical question about Levis, but I didn't know where else I should post it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEVIS-302-0117-DEADSTOCK-W26-L28-Redlines_W0QQitemZ260430168974QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Men_s_Clothing?hash=item3ca2d9038e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I just saw these jeans on eBay. The model number is 302, which should indicate, to my best knowledge, that they are either a pair of jeans for children/youngsters or for women, but what I have never seen before is a pair of Levis with half-selvage. I thought this was a Lee exclusive (though I have seen it on cheaper jeans from like JC Penneys)

Anyways, my question is, have you ever seen this before? And do you think that Levis has ever isssued a pair of half-selvage jeans for men?

Thanks

i just want to show these after the wash. hope i dont interupt in any fierce discussion :D

6 months 3 handwashes and one wash 60 C

3647094693_c02fa68e31.jpg?v=0

3647101343_e10fcb52fb.jpg?v=0

3647102739_18123a79c4.jpg?v=0

3647106493_de3232f6c5.jpg?v=0

They are a LVC 1937 201xx kind of loose...

have same post on evo thread.

cross-post from the SMALL QUESTIONS thread:

Excuse me if this has been asked/answered already...

But, I just picked up a pair of LVC 1947 501xx (selvedge). It's been raining here almost every day for 2 weeks straight. How will these be in the rain?

Yes, I know raw denim will have some bleeding. But, these were pre-owned and I believe soaked, but have no wear/fades. Will these be bleeding / rubbing off all over the place or what?

Thanks in advance.

JB's jeans show how good the denim on the early 201xx is, when worn and washed correctly. Will give even better contrast if worn a bit longer before the first wash, as AF mentioned earlier.

I have a pair of those '37 201's which I'm dying to wear raw, but I have enough in my current line up to keep me going for a while.

Great jeansJB - Thanks for posting these.

Thank you DH! i get AF´s point about waiting longer for wash the denim would have been even more beutifull alltough i really love them alot!

im saving them a while and will maybe wear some more later. At the moment im interested in a pair of slimmer cut Ooe´s been wearing them for a few weeks.

Thanks for the nickname by the way Dr. I regret my name a little its kind of corny... hehe

cross-post from the SMALL QUESTIONS thread:

Excuse me if this has been asked/answered already...

But, I just picked up a pair of LVC 1947 501xx (selvedge). It's been raining here almost every day for 2 weeks straight. How will these be in the rain?

Yes, I know raw denim will have some bleeding. But, these were pre-owned and I believe soaked, but have no wear/fades. Will these be bleeding / rubbing off all over the place or what?

Thanks in advance.

I'm down in CT so we probably have similar weather and my '47 have been fine. The only bleeding I ever notice is on my white socks and that's been reasonable. It washes out mostly.

For all the talk of wether to machine wash or soak or do nothing I haven't seen the difference between washing in a top loader or front loader (sorry non-US. You guys have probably been on front loaders for 30 years now.)

addressed at all. I would think tumbling around in a front loader would be a lot better for jeans than a top loader agitating them for 40 minutes. Anybody noticed a difference between machine types?

For all the talk of wether to machine wash or soak or do nothing I haven't seen the difference between washing in a top loader or front loader (sorry non-US. You guys have probably been on front loaders for 30 years now.)

addressed at all. I would think tumbling around in a front loader would be a lot better for jeans than a top loader agitating them for 40 minutes. Anybody noticed a difference between machine types?

I have a wash programme on my Bosch WM that is a 12 minute freshen-up, which basically doesn't shrink the jean at all. It's a lazy man's hand wash !

Some shots of the 1917s at almost 4 months. Still raw and coming along nicely. Baggy as all get out but it will all be worth it.

IMG_7473.jpgIMG_7474.jpg

Hawt dang! Dem whiskaz r bomb. How's the fit? Looks a lil' bit like 70's whiskers:

hawkwind77.gif

Altho I guess that fit of yours is quite different from the members of Hawkwind.

I have a wash programme on my Bosch WM that is a 12 minute freshen-up, which basically doesn't shrink the jean at all. It's a lazy man's hand wash !

Is that the jean cycle? I have a Bosch and when I was deciding between models on of them had a jean cycle. I decided against it because the salesman couldn't explain what it did.