Levi's Vintage Clothing

Sorry to disagree Allen. I really don't care what Paul or anyone else says. I've seen plenty of vintage Levi's myself from collectors in NYC and LA to know what originals look like and to clearly see the difference when comparing it to my LVC denim - 555 or whatever.

On the other hand, if you really want close reproduction denim try a pair of Lee Japan. Some if their stuff is really scary how good it is.

Certainly is your right to disagree. I think LVC and cone do some things right and some copies right and some not so right. Paul will be back in August and he can defend himself at that time. But I doubt many have had the access the he has had to Levis collection and files and well as Cone.

What's the charge?

Hey, paul t's website IS down, maybe he's broke & been imprisoned for disagreeing with the real internet experts.

Ha Ha yeah I guess seeing the files, the actual vintage jeans and fabrics, the looms and talking with real experts of the companies means nothin...

I guess he's fininshing another book..

And Grant I also know a Levis collector and he's kinda like the Paul Sanders of origianl Levis and I've seen first hand and had some lengthy conversations with him about originals and repros and actually looked at them side by side....

Yeah Doc I now have sold both pairs of my 37 201s and I also liked the denim. I think horrible hated the denim on those.

I have a pair of 55s from a few years back that have awesome denim and a pair of 47s from the same LVC year I think that I really don't like. I had a very early pair of 1947s that had great denim.

Well Hjj is welcome to his opinion, and you are welcome to yours. I happen to agree with you.

How accurate the denim is to original vintage models is irrelevant, as IMO it stands out in its own right. Although I have seen many pairs of originals, the repro is still far away from accurate to the original. It's more of a homage, or an allusion to the originals.

This thread is dedicated to the art of the Levis reproduction and the denim on the early models, especially those manufactured between '96-99 is as good as any levi's has made.

Levis 507. I bought this raw off of ebay for about $35. I dont know what season, but the buttons say 822 (texas i believe?)

img2237resize.jpg

img2244resize.jpg

img2249resize.jpg

img2248resizea.jpg

img2245resizeq.jpg

img2246resize.jpg

img2250resize.jpg

i've been seeing my name floating around here, so to conclude:

fuck the bullshit, it aint about FC, or WH, or 45rpm, or anybody else but LS&co., and their lack of detail. i took my warehouse, and turned them inside out, as well as the 47 LVCs. the quality of the stitching was much worse on the levis. i did this because levis invited me to '' examine the sewing, fit, and finish'', and i dont see why they did. sloppy-ass bullshit. just admit that everyones favorite US denim brand is in the shitter. and defending their bullshit is not going to make the bullshit any less than obvious. i love the history of levis, and i love to read Paul T's book over and over( i just love the old levis and lee advertisements and catalogs). im using WH as an example since i had a pair of raws to actually compare the 47s to, and the 47 is a 'good' year, no? my whole point is that any of the osaka5 brands knocks LVC out of the fucking box when quality and details are the issue. im not talking about closeness in reproduction, because technically no one SHOULD be able to make what you make exactly how you make it... but they damn sure shouldn't be able to make what you make better. if someone starts making better tacos than mexicans, then the mexicans need to tighten the fuck up, it goes across the board. i rock better jeans than LVC has to offer, and aint a damn thing you can tell me otherwise...im so through with this, is obvious.

i want to get a pair of lvcs, which of them are slim fitting? is the 60 slimmer than the 67? link + measurements + fit pics would help tremendously.

The 1954 501zxx seems quite slim fitting. And of course there is also the 1967 505, you mention yourself. I don't know what you mean by "60", but I am guessing that you mean the 1966 501, and no the hem is bigger on it, than on the 505.

But if you want really slim, then you should go for the 606 (1966). This was included in the LVC collection some time ago mainly as a pair of womens jeans, but they have also been issued for men, I think. But at the moment it is in their "Orange tab" collection. There also a couple of other slim fit jeans in that collection, as I reacall.

yes, i meant 66. i'll look into the 66. what are the other slimmer models you're talking about? + fit pics anyone?

You can see some jeans from the OT collection here.

http://shop.textalk.se/se/artgrp.php?id=7325&grp=236523

And rather good fit pics of both the 501 1947 and the 505 1967 here

http://shop.textalk.se/se/artgrp.php?id=7325&grp=168725

You can see some jeans from the OT collection here.

http://shop.textalk.se/se/artgrp.php?id=7325&grp=236523

And rather good fit pics of both the 501 1947 and the 505 1967 here

http://shop.textalk.se/se/artgrp.php?id=7325&grp=168725

thanks for that, any fit pics of the 66? also i think i read somewhere here that 66 is very similar to the 47 if sized down. am i wrong? if not, how many sizes to size down to achieve a similar fit?

i've been seeing my name floating around here, so to conclude:

fuck the bullshit, it aint about FC, or WH, or 45rpm, or anybody else but LS&co., and their lack of detail. i took my warehouse, and turned them inside out, as well as the 47 LVCs. the quality of the stitching was much worse on the levis. i did this because levis invited me to '' examine the sewing, fit, and finish'', and i dont see why they did. sloppy-ass bullshit. just admit that everyones favorite US denim brand is in the shitter. and defending their bullshit is not going to make the bullshit any less than obvious. i love the history of levis, and i love to read Paul T's book over and over( i just love the old levis and lee advertisements and catalogs). im using WH as an example since i had a pair of raws to actually compare the 47s to, and the 47 is a 'good' year, no? my whole point is that any of the osaka5 brands knocks LVC out of the fucking box when quality and details are the issue. im not talking about closeness in reproduction, because technically no one SHOULD be able to make what you make exactly how you make it... but they damn sure shouldn't be able to make what you make better. if someone starts making better tacos than mexicans, then the mexicans need to tighten the fuck up, it goes across the board. i rock better jeans than LVC has to offer, and aint a damn thing you can tell me otherwise...im so through with this, is obvious.

47s are not a good comparison. Not one of LVCs finer moments. Try the 55s, 333s, 20 201s, 1917 501 or the 209 coveralls. Have you ever seen original Levis from the dates being repro-ed? Describe better? Are you talking denim thats to heavy and to slubby as compared to originals?

Most of the Osaka5 retail for substantially more, no? $250 and up, compared to $180. Yes, they're all great jeans, and there are lots of Warehouse and Lee Japan fans on this thread.

But look at Doctor Heech's cotton duck set - those jeans are just as good, if not better, than the Warehouse, and the pants retailed for the standard LVC price. Of course, it is fair to say that some of the LVC fuckups are unacceptable - doesn't mean that airfrog's list aren't great jeans, much more interesting designs than most Japanese companies - WH excepted - produce.

LS&Co have some stormy times ahead, specially for LVC. Same for Cone. But not all the Japanese makers will be immune. VIntage style denim is a very narrow niche.

when i use the word 'quality', i'm referring to a product in which it is evident that a good amount of time, effort, and expertise were expended to make, and thats what i saw in the store that day. levis has so much dough that no one should be able to produce a better jean at any price point. especially when they feel the need to try to put other folks out of business who are doing a better job. levis is famous amongst denim-heads for cutting corners, and they've been doing it before 99% of us knew what selvage was. obviously most denim consumers are totally unaware, since the avg. american wears shitty denim, whether they know it or not. when i look at my osaka5 jeans, i see absolutely no corner-cutting, and no half-assed ANYTHING. all i see is beautiful denim, stitching, and details... now let me stop shitting up this thread, my words tend to fall upon deaf ears....

Hello, wonder if anyone would like to take a break from some of the debate and provide some guidance regarding the 1937's I just received from dejan.

In my experience with recent LVC 1933s, 1947's,1955's (and expensive STF organic big e 501s) i have found that whatever the tagged size,the best success for waist sizing for a brand new unwashed STF LVC is to be just about actual waist size or a touch bigger in the waist. Stated otherwise, despite various washing and god forbid drying methods,i usually find about only 1 inch shrinkage in the waist

The new 1937's i have are about 2 inches bigger in the waist. Is there any reason to believe that the 1937's will actually shrink more then the one inch average i have had previously, e.g. a full 2 inches ala the generic shrinking instructions? I really dont need another too large pair.....

Thanks for any comments, If not, I may offer a pair for sale shipped in the USA before spending the dough transporting them back to cultzim.

I bought mine in actual waist size. Before soaking them, I spread a bamboo stick (long about 40cm) in the waist to avoid too much shrinkage in the waistband. It worked and the fit is perfect. When machine wash it is a little bit difficult to spread the bamboo in the wet denim but with a little effort it worked also. Good luck

Most of the Osaka5 retail for substantially more, no? $250 and up, compared to $180. Yes, they're all great jeans, and there are lots of Warehouse and Lee Japan fans on this thread.

But look at Doctor Heech's cotton duck set - those jeans are just as good, if not better, than the Warehouse, and the pants retailed for the standard LVC price. Of course, it is fair to say that some of the LVC fuckups are unacceptable - doesn't mean that airfrog's list aren't great jeans, much more interesting designs than most Japanese companies - WH excepted - produce.

LS&Co have some stormy times ahead, specially for LVC. Same for Cone. But not all the Japanese makers will be immune. VIntage style denim is a very narrow niche.

Busted seam.

Lvc produced good quality repros between 1996-2000, regardless of historical accuracy - the early 37 201xx,'47,'55, '63 (and the jackets) in particular. The peak of the quality stuff IMO was '99/2000 with garments such as 201, 213, 1933 501, the duck stuff You mentioned, and the 1879 lined jacket. As soon as they changed factories, that's where the problems really began.