Pure Blue Japan

midnight

I love my 007s. I've tried a lot of different brands, including 6 different pairs of Sugar Canes. Never could get on with the diaper fits, and the denim, although interesting, was smooth and boring compared to the pbj. Now, after seeing the 017, I know what my next pbj project will be. They look just as unique as the 007.

I love my 007s. I've tried a lot of different brands, including 6 different pairs of Sugar Canes. Never could get on with the diaper fits, and the denim, although interesting, was smooth and boring compared to the pbj. Now, after seeing the 017, I know what my next pbj project will be. They look just as unique as the 007.

I think my original problem was I'm more of an earth tone guy, so picturing my wardrobe with them is hard. But I realize I have no spring/summer gear or footwear, so ill have to add some blue to the wardrobe. Any leather footwear anyone would recommend? Something not too hot for NYC this time of year.

Probably depends on how much you wash them. I'm probably not going to wash my pair. I will say this though, to all ordering from BIG. I ordered my 007 in a size 30 raw. According to the chart, they were supposed to be 33 in the waist. I aasure you they were not. They were more like 29.5-30. Anyway, I stuck with them and they stretched to my waist of 32 and fit great, which shows how stretchy pbj denim is.

I was more wondering how the o/w are new. If they come with a big twist in the leg from that single wash. Anyway, I think big has a disclaimer about their measurements. Something along the lines of 'these measurements are an average taken from trillions of pairs of denim, so it's really only a ballpark.' Something like that. Same thing happend to me on a pair of skulls, they were a good inch an a half tighter in the waist. But I'm glad it worked out for you. I

One thing I encountered so far, every pair of jeans I own and compared to the BiG measurements: BiG's measurements are always bigger in the waist. If you think "oh, BiG indicates the waist to be 33" on my *insert jeans here* size 31, I think I can size down 1"...then you'll be fucked as it will 9 out of 10 times measure 32" (or less).

That's my experience so far. The rest of the measurements are usually spot on. And I measure the same way like BiG of course. Maybe they pull the waistband like mad when measuring, stretching it that way.

Good discussion, everyone. One way to get it right might be to have the person at the store physically take the pair they are mailing out to you and measure them while you have them on the phone. That's what I'm going to try next time. Back to the denim itself, the one wash can be so brutal on the denim, I recommend buying raw and washing them yourself. The one wash jeans in nearly every brand have the dreaded machine streaks/fades, which are ugly to most denim purists.

Good discussion, everyone. One way to get it right might be to have the person at the store physically take the pair they are mailing out to you and measure them while you have them on the phone. That's what I'm going to try next time. Back to the denim itself, the one wash can be so brutal on the denim, I recommend buying raw and washing them yourself. The one wash jeans in nearly every brand have the dreaded machine streaks/fades, which are ugly to most denim purists.

Yeah, I've heard this from more than a few ppl. Apparently the denim gets really weak too and falls apart more easily. Will probably just wait until a restock.

I've never seen a o/w that had streaks, but that 'one wash' they're treating the jean to is definitely not a soak. They're putting the jeans in a machine. With an agitator. Hence weaker/softer denim. What I'd like to know is whether the inseam has those crazy twists like a few of the stock images floating around. Anyone with the xx-011 in a o/w around here want to answer that tia.

@jonm_ yeah, sooo false. O/W gets rid of the harmful starch embedded in the yarns. also, it makes the yarn contract, weave tighten up ... w/c in the process makes the fabric more solid.

it also does the same thing to the threads. as a result of the pulling, the threads dig-in to the fabric & produce puckering along the stitch line. in effect, IMO [partially] shielding/protecting the cotton threads from premature fraying & breakage, especially @high friction areas. not a bad way to get some nice "roping" started, as well.

sample pix to illustrate would be more eloquent.

Cisco1.jpg

IHcp.jpg

FujimonEmbo_zps4f10f497.jpg

edit:

didn't mean to be too anal about it ;)

Edited by BrownMetallic

Not getting why dotcomzzz (?) gets that much neg. Of course, I'm none of those guys who sees washing as threat to any decent jean, but I would prefer every raw over a one wash model.

I don't believe that good looking geishas gently soak my denim for me in Jasmin flavoured spring water. Even for smaller japanese brands it will be a rather raw process that I try to avoid. I remember pictures from the one-wash process, including washing agent in a spin dryer, which is not what i would want to do to new jeans. Not because of fear of damage, but as I don't see the point in doing so at this early stage.

Plus, the whole procedure of touching & smelling raw denim, trying on the jeans on in raw state, then soaking them and looking forward to the result is just an essential for me. So, like always, to each his own.

Edited by Max Power

Maybe it's not the washing. I think it's more the washing machine. They don't hand wash at the factories. I've seen plenty of crinkles, streaks, and lines in one wash jeans that I wouldn't ever buy another pair. I had it happen to me with a pair sugar cane 1947s and a pair of Levi's 501 Selvedge. I've seen it on eternal 883 as well. Factory washes also seem to wreak havoc with the patches.

..... the whole procedure of touching & smelling raw denim, trying on the jeans on in raw state, then soaking them and looking forward to the result is just an essential for me. So, like always, to each his own.

oh, i personally prefer RAW over O/W, too, for the same reasons. i like to have control of the shrinkage. i pretty much pegged my pre-soak/post soak rituals down to a T ;).

i'm just saying washing [as in O/W] does not affect the over all integrity of the denim/jeans ... for those who are just getting in the game and are apprehensive about care & sizing, it's best alternative, imo.

washing clothing is not a bad thing. its better for the clothing. the dryer is what can cause damage if not done properly. why people think otherwise makes no sense to me.

Have you read my post at all? I was simply stating that I don't need a factory to wash my jeans in a manner that will probably not be as gentle as when I do it myself. I wear raw denim cause I like the evolution of the fabric in the first place and it starts for me with the raw starched unwashed state and then develops from there. I don't buy predistressed denim because I want to break in my own jeans and I don't buy onewash models (when I can) cause I want to be the one who soaks and agitates them. Nothing to do with fear of washing.

messaged.. any other opinions?

I personally am not the biggest fan of all the skinny PBJ models out there, but they look like they are made for your build. Can't judge how tight they actually feel, but to me, an uncomnfy pair of jeans is a reason to sell / return it.

Edited by Max Power

Do the o/w xx-0011s have a big leg twist to them? The images on rakuten and pbj's site look pretty drastic, but from the handfull of pairs I've seen on here it doesn't look that way.

No they don't... My pair of 011's didn't twist at all... Which reminds me, I've never seen a case of severe leg twist on LHT before...