So right now I have a dilemma between regular line Arcteryx and Veilance. I had a Theta AR before, but it got stolen, and now that I'm out on the east coast, I'm looking for a winter jacket. I tried on the veilance insulated shell, and it fit awesome, and i really liked it. But the thing is that while I really like the Veilance insulated shell, would it be more worth it to get the Fission SV, which I would be able to use as a ski jacket as well, as well as save like $500. Opinions?

I want a good multi-wear technical M65, but I can never find something that fits me properly. >_< I just got the Arcteryx Veilance SV Field Jacket in the mail this week. I haven't decided if I wanted to keep it or not. I have a pretty slim build with a 36" chest (yeh Asian, so sue me lol) so I ordered the smallest size, XS, bc I prefer a more slim cut. The shoulders and arms are perfect on me, but I find the chest area to be pretty wide. Anyone else happy with the fit of their AV jacket?

photo.JPG

“Arc’teryx products are the Hermès bags of men’s performance wear,†declared Errolson Hugh*...

:D

Yes, it is the finest outerwear I ever had. I'm just waiting for my Veilance sweatshirt and Epsilon jacket (from standard outdoor collection) to arrive.

regarding the "hermes" comment:

it's funny but its true. Unless you've seen the actual work that goes into those jackets you've got no idea how complex they are an how meticulous the construction is. ( I know most of the people in this thread appreciate this, not calling anyone out)

As someone who has made tailored wool blazers/coats and seam taped gore-tex jackets I can tell you that the latter is easily as complex if not much more so.

regarding the "hermes" comment:

it's funny but its true. Unless you've seen the actual work that goes into those jackets you've got no idea how complex they are an how meticulous the construction is. ( I know most of the people in this thread appreciate this, not calling anyone out)

As someone who has made tailored wool blazers/coats and seam taped gore-tex jackets I can tell you that the latter is easily as complex if not much more so.

are there videos or stuff I can read concerning the construction of the veilance range? would love to find out more!

are there videos or stuff I can read concerning the construction of the veilance range? would love to find out more!

There is an excellent interview with Conroy (Veilance head designer) and also one here. Not much about construction, more about ideas and development of the line.

Some official informations about the construction , design and materials.

how technical does one need to get when the most extremely weather for most people will probably be light wind/ rainfall. :D

these are fashion oriented companies and most people (here) are buying these jackets for whatever niche reason (most likely fit and ascetic), not as much for technical reasons since they could otherwise grab a arcteryx from their non veilance line or a northface..

imo

how technical does one need to get when the most extremely weather for most people will probably be light wind/ rainfall. :D

these are fashion oriented companies and most people (here) are buying these jackets for whatever niche reason (most likely fit and ascetic), not as much for technical reasons since they could otherwise grab a arcteryx, non veilance line, norrona, northface.. and the endless amount of other outdoor brands.

for example, just the idea of a slim goretex shell is pointless from a technical standpoint since your suppose to layer.. and a goretex blazer? wut

but if i had to answer that question, i would rank them in terms of how long the company was established just cause the jackets evolve more tailored to the actual mountain climbers wearing these jackets

the names you listed are fashion oriented companies and most people (here) are buying these jackets for whatever niche reason (most likely fit and ascetic), not as much for technical reasons since they could otherwise grab an arcteryx from their non veilance line, norrona, northface.. or any other well established outdoor brand that pride themselves on being technical as their main objective.

for example, just the idea of a slim goretex shell is pointless from a technical standpoint since it defeats the purpose of layering fleeces underneath.. and a goretex blazer? wut

but if i had to answer that question, i would generally rank them in terms of how long the company was established just cause the jackets evolve more tailored to the actual mountain climbers wearing them

imo

the names you listed are fashion oriented companies and most people (here) are buying these jackets for whatever niche reason (most likely fit and ascetic), not as much for technical reasons since they could otherwise grab an arcteryx from their non veilance line, norrona, northface.. or any other well established outdoor brand that pride themselves on being technical as their main objective.

for example, just the idea of a slim goretex shell is pointless from a technical standpoint since it defeats the purpose of layering fleeces underneath.. and a goretex blazer? wut

but if i had to answer that question, i would generally rank them in terms of how long the company was established just cause the jackets evolve more tailored to the actual mountain climbers wearing them

imo

Sure, I agree with you. It's like people buying a luxury SUV that has all these fancy abilities to go offroad and climb mountains, but in reality, most people will do nothing more than commute around town. It's all those features that help justify the price tag. :)

In the context of this thread, I think most people here are looking for both fashion and function. Just wondering what are people's top picks that do both well. :D

Okay so I'm stuck between either getting the insulated field jacket, or the insulated shell as a winter jacket, my main gripe is that the insulated shell doesn't seem to come in a XS, while the field jacket comes in XS, which I think will fit me better. Anybody have opinions on the issue?

The insulated field jacket would be better for winter. I tried it on, the primaloft feels luxe and light!

Fit-wise S is usually a smidge too long for me in the arms, but the insulated field is so puffy that I don't think the sleeve length was a problem even for me, but you better check the measurements for yourself.

the insulated field is actually core loft (similar to prima loft and said to be better) and this is the fill for all new veilance models I believe, the insulated shell is defiantly produced in xs the issue may be that no retailers have purchased it,in fact it is in stock on the veilance webstore

I think really all you need to weigh up between the 2 is length and if you want a fully insulated hood or not, the field gives you a few inch extra length on the shell and arguably a slightly more classic look over the insulated shells more sporty styling

Yeah I wish I was back in Vancouver right now so I could try on both in XS. I've tried both the field jacket and the shell in S, and they're both a bit too roomy for my liking, but I love the coreloft and how amazingly light it is.

Yeah I was originally thinking about getting the shell because of the hood, but then I was thinking that a stowable hood would be more versatile. But then having a hood would be warmer for the more extreme cold days. Thanks for you opinions

Yeah I wish I was back in Vancouver right now so I could try on both in XS. I've tried both the field jacket and the shell in S, and they're both a bit too roomy for my liking, but I love the coreloft and how amazingly light it is.

Yeah I was originally thinking about getting the shell because of the hood, but then I was thinking that a stowable hood would be more versatile. But then having a hood would be warmer for the more extreme cold days. Thanks for you opinions

I went with just the shell. I figured the stowable hood was more versatile where I could rock the jacket during the day or even out at night. I also figured I could just layer with my insulation layer and just wear the shell by itself when it rains in non-winter seasons.

On the the tech aspect of these clothes...

My insulated field jacket took a downpour last friday morning.

Together wit my co workers sierra designs down jacket.

At the end of the day my jacket was dry and crisp again where as the 60/40 sierra was still wet, I even hung it above the heater after lunch, to get it to dry quicker .I told him that from experience it would behave like a sponge...

That's where I shell the extra money out for.

With normal winter temps about 0 degrees celsius around here and plenty of rain these jackets actually make sense in the dutch mountains

The outdoor gear companies are WAY too price point driven to make the best tech gear. Companies like Acronym an Stone Island are often using better fabrics than the real gear companies because they are willing to spend more.

Same thing goes with cuts, because the fabric is such a price driver, most outdoor gear is patterned to maximize yield with movement being a secondary concern. Acronym and Veilance both are patterned for movement first, and by the best movement oriented designers around.

Production wise Arc'teryx's BC factory where they make Veilance is pretty much the best in the world for certain tech innovations, a notch or two above their own Asian production. Acronym and Visvims is world class too, on par wih the best outdoor gear and better than the mid level stuff.

Visvim is world class too, on par wih the best outdoor gear and better than the mid level stuff.

I think the major difference that I notice between Visvim and most other brands is that I see Visvim combining materials in an insane way. Take the new pfd and Hadrian jacket, it's a thin whaled italian corduroy with a gore tex lining, or adding wind stopper to their varsitys. I almost feel its unfair to compare vis with acronym. Visvim is making classic products in a classic way and adding technical materials in a hidden way most of the time. Even when the technical fabric is at the fore front of the garment they find a way to make it more interesting, such as the (insane) denim nomad from s /s 11. I'd still love to see acr and vis work together on some shoes or something.