is there anything out there similar to the north face dipsea? a typical neck warmer is a bit too thick since its fleece and i'm looking at spending as little as possible. i know acronym did a gaiter but i'm not interested on spending that much on such an insignificant (to me, anyway) item. no toggle is best.

Edited by conqueror

is there anything out there similar to the north face dipsea? a typical neck warmer is a bit too thick since its fleece and i'm looking at spending as little as possible. i know acronym did a gaiter but i'm not interested on spending that much on such an insignificant (to me, anyway) item. no toggle is best.

Personally I use the Arcteryx Phase AR Neck Gaiter, thin but warm and breathable.

Do you mean a hold-all or a backpack? Have a look at the Carryology 2014 awards that have just come out for some ideas.

Thanks for the tip! I mean a hold-all! Like a weekender bag!

I liked my grey no logo Buff merino wool gaiter. Just be sure you protect it from moths, mine is full of holes and now I have to use that Acronym fleece. 

Well, that's the difference between me and you guys, I don't understand fashion at all.

Btw, Shadow Project AW14 sneak peak via Haven. Fishtail parka. Cute mittens thing.

+ Herno Laminar.

For me, that guy is less about fashion but more of a personal style; a techwear-oriented style that is unusual even for Japan. Gotta give him props for being fearless in expressing it. 

But yeah I get what you mean now, thanks for the answer. 

My sentiments exactly cmdR Iam all for the personal expression every time, I like what he wears mix'nmatch is what I do whether it is and old beat up pair of camo cargo shorts,nike running leggings & SI:SP vest or musto trousers with SI:SP long sleeve & old analog snowboard jacket, if it feels right to you ~ go for it.

Well, that's the difference between me and you guys, I don't understand fashion at all.

Btw, Shadow Project AW14 sneak peak via Haven. Fishtail parka. Cute mittens thing.

+ Herno Laminar.

I'm going to have to call you out here.  If you really didn't care about fashion at all, you'd probably be wearing surplus military junk and TAD gear. The fact that you care to purchase Acronym, Veilance or any other 'techwear' brands clearly shows you care about how others perceive you.  All the clothing on Superfuture is just improved permutations of existing fieldwear, with very little increase in functionality but massive increases in style/fit/form points.  I can pay $50 for a surplus fishtail that'll keep me as warm as a $1,500 Stone Island fishtail, but I (and most of people on here) will admit that we're paying for form/coolness/perception factors more than pure function.

Fashion is just another sort of aesthetic appreciation, so I don't understand how you can say "i don't like fashion" and claim to appreciate (and pay for) the difference between Acronym/Veilance and buying milsurp.  I could even argue that surplus makes more sense functionally. (what do I wear when I'm actually working on dirty, heavy stuff where things can be destroyed or stained? Probably not my $1.2k acronym shell.) 

edit: Anyways, I don't mean it as an attack; I'm just curious how you can diverge the fact that we're paying a lot for subjective qualities that are typically found in 'fashionable' things; such as better fit/fabric/form, as opposed to objective qualities that can clearly be differentiated. The clearest example is Arcteryx mainline vs. Arcteryx Veilance; I've taken numerous Arcteryx garments climbing or hiking and the function is just as good as Veilance gear, but I'm still shelling out for Veilance because I love the look and fit.   

Edited by Just Another XY

it's not called cartoons.  it's called japanamation.  please educate yourself

No fucking way, I thought this was a parody making fun of these idiots until the ad info rolled at the end.

I'm going to have to call you out here.  If you really didn't care about fashion at all, you'd probably be wearing surplus military junk and TAD gear. The fact that you care to purchase Acronym, Veilance or any other 'techwear' brands clearly shows you care about how others perceive you.  All the clothing on Superfuture is just improved permutations of existing fieldwear, with very little increase in functionality but massive increases in style/fit/form points.  I can pay $50 for a surplus fishtail that'll keep me as warm as a $1,500 Stone Island fishtail, but I (and most of people on here) will admit that we're paying for form/coolness/perception factors more than pure function.

Fashion is just another sort of aesthetic appreciation, so I don't understand how you can say "i don't like fashion" and claim to appreciate (and pay for) the difference between Acronym/Veilance and buying milsurp.  I could even argue that surplus makes more sense functionally. (what do I wear when I'm actually working on dirty, heavy stuff where things can be destroyed or stained? Probably not my $1.2k acronym shell.) 

edit: Anyways, I don't mean it as an attack; I'm just curious how you can diverge the fact that we're paying a lot for subjective qualities that are typically found in 'fashionable' things; such as better fit/fabric/form, as opposed to objective qualities that can clearly be differentiated. The clearest example is Arcteryx mainline vs. Arcteryx Veilance; I've taken numerous Arcteryx garments climbing or hiking and the function is just as good as Veilance gear, but I'm still shelling out for Veilance because I love the look and fit.   

I think I understand what Brainboy is getting at. My interest in techwear is focused on the technical aspects of the clothing. For me, the enjoyment comes integrating that functionality into a wardrobe I really enjoy wearing. Coming from an active sports background, as someone who was sick of wearing brightly coloured, logo-festooned sports wear, it's nice to discover a subgroup of fashion that emphasizes a combination of performance/functionality and aesthetics, I suppose - aesthetics on their own don't do much for me. The promise of a wardrobe that works for commuting, work and spontaneous exploration/activity is very enticing.

I guess the easiest way to put it is that I'm not one for style in and of itself - hence the interest in techwear.

The nice thing about all this gear is that it's just as easily enjoyed by someone who's interests are the opposite of my own - someone who understands fashion, but has a passing interest in increased performance of their clothing.

Edited by MoreToasties

yeah fucking fuck this dude's styling is next level

You're all talking past each other. There is a difference between styling (i.e. mixing and matching fashion items to create a personal or new aesthetic)1 and fashion. That softs model is styling a cyberpunk aesthethic, a form of street fashion2. Everyone here into urban techwear is fashionable to some degree (i.e. aware of fit/fabric/form) but not everyone is interested in styling, new aesthetics or street fashion.

1. Mixing brands is not styling per se e.g switching a Veilance blazer with an Outlier blazer doesn't change a look

2. I hesitate to describe anything as street fashion since fashion companies have most co-opted and bastardized the term

You say that, but then you realize your hiking in like, 2000 dollars of superfluous fashion.

I find the added cost is worth the versatility. And besides, it's not the mainline Arc'teryx stuff is cheap to begin with, which is where I was focused before discovering the things discussed in this thread.

That and I can't afford the really expensive stuff. :)

Edited by MoreToasties

Step one: live in British Columbia

edit: I'll WAYWT this some other day when I can get a good photo not in a bathroom mirror but holy shit ecats are the best bags.

29v036s.jpg

Edited by Igneousity

Terribly failing on my search for it but there's a chapter in Zero History (first quarter abouts?) named "Gear-Queer".

And if we were to be brutally honest with ourselves, I wouldn't doubt that around 88% of us/we/this are just varied permutations of it.

Shit like mall-ninjas get thrown around, I apologise in advance if it hurts your feelings.

Terribly failing on my search for it but there's a chapter in Zero History (first quarter abouts?) named "Gear-Queer".

And if we were to be brutally honest with ourselves, I wouldn't doubt that around 88% of us/we/this are just varied permutations of it.

Shit like mall-ninjas get thrown around, I apologise in advance if it hurts your feelings.

we are gear-queer. we're just second derivatives of mall-ninjas. 

evolved, if you will. (10) 

I'm not really offended and Zero History is fantastic but I just want to double check that you know which thread you're posting in.

Well, first, I've said that "I don't understand fashion", not that I don't care about it or that I dislike it! 

I don't want to go into a debate on what fashion or style means, I just want to explain myself a bit. I can appreciate a good design, craftsmanship, technology, I do care about how it looks and works in the society, but I'm oblivious to what makes things fashionable or interesting for the people who understand fashion and styling. 

MoreToasties pretty much understand my stance on this, I found my way into urban techwear because I always wanted the same performance that I've had in my hiking clothes for my everyday life but without looking like a fool. The other reason, but really more of a coincidence is that I've always been into cyberpunk and I like the aesthetics that influence some  of the techwear designs.

And the invisible hand of WG behind all this.

Gear-queers motivation may vary, some of it comes from geeky appreciation of the technical aspects of things, mall-ninjas on the other hand are just delusional morons that want to be associated with the military world - that doesn't need them. 

Edited by Brainboy

Gear-queers motivation may vary, some of it comes from geeky appreciation of the technical aspects of things, mall-ninjas on the other hand are just delusional morons that want to be associated with the military world that doesn't need them. 

To be fair, I thought this was explicitly how Gibson used the word "gear queer"? I know he has a really strong thing against people who are into military-influenced fashion.

Of course, these two overlap, but the gear-queer is a term that originated within the US military - and it's not completely derogatory.

Mall-ninjas however, are always deluded civies...