ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Markus farkin classic!!!

you guys are totally messing up my workflow BTW. I have ceased to become productive at my career since this contest started!!!

So have you come up with a size yet? What did you go with?

I seriously think you will be fine with a 33. A 32 might be pushing it, but you still might be able to get away with it.

I would not take into consideration how the ROYs at selfedge felt. Those are sized differently, have a different cut, and made from a totally different denim.

thats what i was guessing too. i measured and i am 33, but i never wear 33s. so its 32 for me after shrinkage i guess. i am also scared of the additional streching.

I also measure 33 and ordered TTS. It will be interesting to compare our experiences when the jeans arrive.

I usually order 32 and would have in this case, but looking at the pics of Roy

wearing these jeans, I suspect the legs on these are cut fairly slim so I decided to go up one.

I suspect it's not gonna be a big deal at the end of the day anyway. As roy6 said it will be nice to wear something a little more roomy and I'm becoming less and less OCD about fit in any case.

ordered my pair in a 32/29.5. im usually a 30 in everything else. skull 5010xx 6x6, burgus plus lot 770, eternals. whatever. this time i decided to go for a bigger size instead of smaller because the last time i bought ROYs, i ended up having to sell them.

thing is if they're too loose, i usually sub-consciously end up putting on weight so they fit snug around the waist. hope the same thing doesn't happen to markus, because if it does, hes royally fucked! we're going to have a blob in on this one.

with the whole issue about washing machines, i have always found it funny because all my life i've never seem a washing machine that does hot/specific temperature washes. mine only does cold and if you want a hot soak, you have to boil water manually. thats me for you, first-world country with third world facilities. haha.

every morning when i get up, the first thing i do is to check my email and this thread now. now you guys messed my life up. give it back to me!!!

Damn, I told ROy it was Blind Lemon Jefferson. THat's blown my cred forever.

Another version:

N86GXAJUkyM

Actually Charley Patton was first.....in 1929...Mississippi Boll Weevil Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCNYuF-IbeM

There's also a Son House tune called "Dry Spell Blues" from the '30s which has a bunch of lyrics about the Boll Weevil ( so dry old boll weevil turned up his toes and died). One of many such tunes....

I spent a good 5 years in my early '20s totally obsessed by Delta Bues and the songs were full of references to the Boll Weevil. I wasn't into denim at the time so I didn't really get it. Funny how things turn full circle sometimes.

thing is if they're too loose, i usually sub-consciously end up putting on weight so they fit snug around the waist. hope the same thing doesn't happen to markus, because if it does, hes royally fucked! we're going to have a blob in on this one.

ran,your ignorance on how to handle raws convulves me.i control the denim,the denim doesnt control me.if its still too tight i will start a heroin addiction.

It will be interesting to see a variety of fits in the contest as some of you have sized down, TTS, or even sized up. Really surprised by the number of people sizing down. I'm also liking the more reasonable inseams you guys are ordering. If I see anyone stacking these with 36" inseams I will punch my monitor so hard that you'll be knocked out cold, and while you're unconscious I will steal your Roys, get a proper hem, and wear the shits outta them myself.

The number of size 31 and 32's in this contest is encouraging... not that I wish any of you bought the wrong size. And really, I don't think buying the wrong size is a reasonable excuse not to participate in the contest. I'd expect binge eating or radical means of weight loss to fit into the jeans before passing up the opportunity.

It will be interesting to see a variety of fits in the contest as some of you have sized down, TTS, or even sized up. Really surprised by the number of people sizing down. I'm also liking the more reasonable inseams you guys are ordering. If I see anyone stacking these with 36" inseams I will punch my monitor so hard that you'll be knocked out cold, and while you're unconscious I will steal your Roys, get a proper hem, and wear the shits outta them myself.

The number of size 31 and 32's in this contest is encouraging... not that I wish any of you bought the wrong size. And really, I don't think buying the wrong size is a reasonable excuse not to participate in the contest. I'd expect binge eating or radical means of weight loss to fit into the jeans before passing up the opportunity.

im sourcing candidates to buy over almostnice's pair now because actually i think he will end up being too fat for his size 39 waist.

i myself personally am excited to see how everyone's look will evolve over the next year because i believe a pair like this is not what the majority of us have, spare the four horsemen and a select few of their legion of knights.

Yeah. All this sizing stuff is hilarious. You will all be in the ballpark for size. I think if you go to small and document your struggles with weight loss. The bingeing and purging maybe some confessional videos crying into your ROYs that are too tight. In two years you may have captured enough hearts to pull this thing off. Or at least have an IFC doc you can shop around.

Yeah. All this sizing stuff is hilarious. You will all be in the ballpark for size. I think if you go to small and document your struggles with weight loss. The bingeing and purging maybe some confessional videos crying into your ROYs that are too tight. In two years you may have captured enough hearts to pull this thing off. Or at least have an IFC doc you can shop around.

Good luck getting any one-on-one time with the confessional camera with some of the "personalities" involved in this contest...

so what? i never take my riders of for a pee,hence my awesome fades.

And you don't have to worry about the toilet coriolis affecting your Australian inseam measurements.

$hite!!! Sufu has been down for almost 24 hours over here.

So 5 people emailed me saying change to a 33 so who am I to say no!!!

Roy was kind enough to oblige!!! I asked nicely and said if it's too late please disregard.

33/34 final answer!!!

Disclaimer: please don't try this at home :D

today i did some experiments with plywood before i start my next project and did lots of gardening and all i could think about was roy... does this mean i have a crush?

I thought about ROY all day too. Does that mean I'm gay... Hmm. Better not tell the old lady.

Haven't checked on this thread for sometime - figured I needed the distance for healing to take place. And what do I see after several days? First page pics of the jeans, ouch... it's like randomly running into that girl that broke ur heart and realizing she was hotter than u remembered. or something like that.

I bought some boots to fill the space till they arrive. Someone is hammering them together in Derby, while ROY is busy with his Union Specials. THen perhaps a belt from Terry if I think of what to eBay; all hand-made with local materials - it's great if the web and technology give a new lease of life to such artisans.

The only person we haven't seen on this thread so far is eltopo. Check out the amazing 30s photos and other stuff on his blog.

Actually Charley Patton was first.....in 1929...Mississippi Boll Weevil Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCNYuF-IbeM

There's also a Son House tune called "Dry Spell Blues" from the '30s which has a bunch of lyrics about the Boll Weevil ( so dry old boll weevil turned up his toes and died). One of many such tunes....

Weirdly... I had heard the song, but I first heard about its background frmo Eugene Powell when I interviewed him in Greenville Mississippi around 1995; he told me about the song, everyone had recorded it but he couldn't remember who was first. But it makes sense that CHarley would have been.

I didn't realise that Powell had probably known CHarely Patton. But Pops Staples, someone I think of often, did. Said he was "too powerful" to go up and speak to.

Eugene made his first record in 1936; he could still remember the impact of the Boll Weevil from when it first hit. THe economic impacts were complex, I'm hoping I'll find out more from Porchers' Sea Island Cotton book that should be on a boat heading for me.

I'll miss you, Eugene...

Eugene%20Powell%20copy.jpg