ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Well, I am hoping that the waist measurement we gave him was the measurement to which we want them to shrink before stretching. The SE site says 1" shrink, 1" stretch.

What do you guys mean by hard washing- throwing them in a washing machine on hot? I did that for the first time with my MFSCs the other day, and not only did it not get them any cleaner than a hand wash, but it made (and faded) a crease in the left leg. Never again- only hand washes for me.

I always machine-wash later on. It's just me, but I think at 40 or 50 degrees with commercial detergent it brings out more zing. I often handwash before then.

My LVC 44 were made big, well oversize, cost a pittance tho, so I took a chance and washed them (no soap) at 95 degrees before wearing. They looked magnficent, exactly like one-wash Sugarcane. I find it's the spin cyle that puts lines in the legs (my lovely SDA 103XX hardly crocked at all at 6 months but that didn't stop them getting a big white line down the back from the spin cycle. I now claim it makes them look more authentically vintage, that's what I do with every fuckup).

Well, I am hoping that the waist measurement we gave him was the measurement to which we want them to shrink before stretching. The SE site says 1" shrink, 1" stretch.

mmm, for ROYs? In that case, why would he calculate for shrinking at all?

In any case if we follow his method and if we feel like it adjust one inch I am content to await my fate, at least.

this sizing discussion is unreal.follow roys instruction and you are done.

thats at least what i did.

+ 1

Also, this is more just a question. People keep mentioning the temperature at which they wash their jeans TO THE DEGREE, do washing machines in Europe have the temperature on them? My brand new GE has 'Hot', 'Warm' and 'Cold' and nowhere in the owners manual does it mention degrees. I am not trying to nerd out, Its just interesting people know the temperature at which their machine washes.

I agree with almostnice - it's just we're advising Farhad and it's harder to be sanguine about fucking up if it's someone else's jeans.

But I still reckon if you measure 34, 33 is the least you should go for. That's what Roy is advising, and the cut is designed not to be worn too tight.

+ 1

Also, this is more just a question. People keep mentioning the temperature at which they wash their jeans TO THE DEGREE, do washing machines in Europe have the temperature on them? My brand new GE has 'Hot', 'Warm' and 'Cold' and nowhere in the owners manual does it mention degrees. I am not trying to nerd out, Its just interesting people know the temperature at which their machine washes.

yeah... the one i had in london had marked temps on it.... and a bitchy note from flatmate about which one to use to save power

here we just have the cold warm hot thing... and a disconnected hot tap

I now claim it makes them look more authentically vintage, that's what I do with every fuckup.

I'm sure miners and rail workers regularly 'fucked up' their jeans because, well, they were just jeans :P

mmm, for ROYs? In that case, why would he calculate for shrinking at all?

In any case if we follow his method and if we feel like it adjust one inch I am content to await my fate, at least.

Good question. I'm really not worried, but it all seemed so simple that it wouldn't make sense to me for Roy factor in the judgment of how much they would stretch. This is probably different for every individual. Worse comes to worse, I have to employ my waist stretching blocks :) Or, just less of an initial soak.

I agree with almostnice - it's just we're advising Farhad and it's harder to be sanguine about fucking up if it's someone else's jeans.

But I still reckon if you measure 34, 33 is the least you should go for. That's what Roy is advising, and the cut is designed not to be worn too tight.

Yeah, but it's kinda fun to see loads of experienced denim heads getting into a real tiz about sizing

Whoa, I just awoke from the slumber caused by reading the last page of this thread.

The stripes'll do that.

sizing roys right,the almostnice way:

funny,that none of you considers that measureingtapes will alter its lenght under different temperatures.given also that the contestants are spread all over the world,being in different climate/season zones,a soft and slobby tape cant be a precise tool to measure your size,right?

it can make up to one inch if you measure your waist in London,then go to Melbourne and measure again.

clever as i am,i used a folding rule for my exact waist:

5190552680_0f3d4dec68_z.jpg

it says 100,but in centimeters.no problem for me.i just devided with 2.54,which is an inch,but in centimeters.so my waist measures 39,37 inches,which i generously rounded down to 39".done.

the inseam was a joke:

5189955983_4c9c50ae03_z.jpg

110 cms:2,54=43,3,rounded to 43".

so i ordered a 39/43,i am sure theyll fit like a glove.

if not,i will send them to you Cary,for a proper alteration.

That's a good technique but everyone knows the most accurate method is to have a hamster ride around your waist on a unicycle with a pedometer attached. Then up your inside leg and then up your......oh dear!

Roy6, you said that wouldn't happen...

EDIT: Please don't do this naked

yes captain, i ment thrwoing em in the washing mashine and give em a hot wash. i do that with my lees sometimes, but they are sanfordized, thats thats totally different. dont have any cone denim jeans. my lvc´s are japanese.

anyway i ordered 32 as with all of my pants. so fingers crossed. thats the fun part anyhow, not to really know whats going to happen. terra incognita

i am stoked

markus thanks for the heads up. haha

It is nice to come home and find you new favorite thread has five new pages to read through, no?

I followed ROYs instructions exactly, getting a 33 x 31.

For my OG ROYs I sized down an inch, and they are a great slim fit, but since wearing my 201s to work for several months I've really come to appreciate a looser fit.

Doesn't anyone find slim jeans to be a bit limiting? Impossible to wear any full-cut coat or decent chunky boot with them without looking like a fool.

It is nice to come home and find you new favorite thread has five new pages to read through, no?

I followed ROYs instructions exactly, getting a 33 x 31.

For my OG ROYs I sized down an inch, and they are a great slim fit, but since wearing my 201s to work for several months I've really come to appreciate a looser fit.

Doesn't anyone find slim jeans to be a bit limiting? Impossible to wear any full-cut coat or decent chunky boot with them without looking like a fool.

come on,roy,we still love you like you are. no problem that you've gained some weight.you will always be the same for us,a few pounds here and there doesnt makes a difference,really.

Now I'm compulsively checking my e-mail for Roy updates.

Hope they get here before New Years - my local postal service is so unreliable near Xmas/New Years time.

+ 1

Most washing machines I've seen have temperatures marked on the dial.

But I will most likely be hand washing these - they deserve the special Sugar Cane detergent!

I figure it's a decent compromise, and really if they're an inch too big or an inch too shall I shall be fine. If they stretch I'll buy a belt, if they're tight I'll soak or wash cold.

Get a a lighter weight bridle belt from Terry - the bridle he has from Baker's is unreal: tight, strong and less 'shiny' than bridle from most other tanneries :)

They make my man-thighs feel funny....

I really think with the way Roy has detailed these jeans and the heritage of the denim, a not-so-slim fit will probably better evoke what Roy and Cone had in mind when they were designing the contest jeans.