ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

no idea; I just figured I'd try to keep it as simpl and straightforward as possible

Aho- Japan gets my vote! Would do wonders for our geographic spread!

Hey dkatz i was wondering : will you get your pair sent to uganda?? how long does it takes?

There's a decent chance I'll be heading to Brazil late next summer to start up shop for my organization there. If I do, maybe I can plan a hop down to Patagonia and beyond...!

ROYS VS. PENGUINS!

Wait, are penguins in antarctica? or the arctic?

Penguins only in Antarctica.

Please snap lots of pics if you do head south - I wonder if 14oz denim is enough pants for the Antarctic Summer :P

okay wait, by saying youre ordering a 32 it means your measured waist is a 32 and not the tagged right? because as far as i remembered, there wasnt a size chart up and we dont know if they'll shrink to tagged size or shrink from tagged size. unless i missed something out along the way of course.

First;y: don't worry yet, you can confirm size later.

Second: as he says, tell him your post shrink size. I take W34/L34 in Levi's, which shrink to 32/32. I ordered mine in 32/33.

Ha ha. THis is exciting. I like the unknown element of it. WE don't really know how the fit will be till we get them. WE don't really know how the denim will fade long-term. Ralph Tharpe has a test pair and he says they're 'Slow'. So this will be a long-run thing, a real contrast to the Eternals.

When we're a few weeks in we might post some clues the jeans might wear in (one participant here can help - although that's a related denim, by no means the same). And I will try and get shots of Ralph's prototype, which might well be in a different cut. I wonder if he's still wearing them day to day, he's a busy guy so we haven't had a lengthy chat about how they're going and, worse, he doesn't have a digital camera.

I'm sad Airfrog didn't join up, he's an exponent of the 'no soak' method. This would have been more of a scientific test of how that works long-term. Although I can udnerstand why, he already has a lot of cinchbacks (so have I, dammit, I sold the wrong jeans as back in the summer we were talking about a 50s cut).

Hey dkatz i was wondering : will you get your pair sent to uganda?? how long does it takes?

Nooooooo! Hah, things shipped here from the States take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months (or never) - no way I'm running that risk with something this important! I'll be at my parents' home in Southern California around the holidays, so I'm having them shipped there. Merry Christmas/Happy Hannukah/Happy Birthday (7 Jan) to me!

Penguins only in Antarctica.

Please snap lots of pics if you do head south - I wonder if 14oz denim is enough pants for the Antarctic Summer :P

Hahaha you got it! And no, I don't think 14oz is enough for the South Pole!

It's great we got a good spread of time-zones on this thread. Allows me to waste time in the mornings, and later afternoon.

I was a bit worried that ROY sports the folded-over cuff rather than the simple, manly, single cuff. What's that about?

Maybe he doesn't usually cuff, and he's just getting used to it?

Cuffs are like heroin....you start small but soon you need moar and moar to achieve the same psychological effect. The cuffs on my 1930 101b are 5"currently so the 3" I will be using for the ROYS represents a kind of cuff rehab for me.

I need it, otherwise I will end up only being able to buy jeans with 50 inch inseam.

^I'm with you Paul - the fact that every part of this is unknown in every facet (except for the well-known fact that they'll be badass) is a real turn-on for me!

And I hear you on the time-zone thing - makes for a nice steady pace of posting.

you guys are a bunch of psychos! haha. that said, im interested in seeing how things will work out with the mix of contestants with people from different age groups and preferences. myself, having worn mostly slim cut denim, i dont know how it will work out and my first cinchback as well.

it would be cool to see how we manage to integrate this piece into our wardrobe or for some of us probably end up integrating new stuff that we purchase to suit this pair. possibilities abound, so its probably going to be pretty exciting.

i wonder how whide the leg opening is going to be. i love the cut. and i am happy its not a slim fitting one. maybe i feel to old for that, or i am just into panst from the turn of the century up to the 50s. the cinch looks great, and its cut low so one can wear a belt with it,wich is sometimes a problem with s highe set cinch. still havend recieved my mail for the payment. should i be worried?

Just this tiny, limited amount of denim speccing has opened my eyes to the mysterious craft of designing denim - the fabric, that is. I was good friends with Stefano ALdighieri, who spec'd up the denim for the Levi's indigo 1873, the 201 and others. The 201 would fade in brilliants; the 1873 never did, it just got washed out. (natural indigo, being less used, is more unpredicatable). Here we think we know roughly how it's going to work, but the pima fill yarn complicated things. It will be stronger - but softer. My one guess and hope is that these should be quite 3D, you'll get turquoise midtones before it fades to the white of the unbleached yarn - if you look at Roy's cut samples, that might give a clue.

When mills sell denim, they often have sanded and washed samples - but even that only tells you so much.

THe cut, too, is fascinating. Great that you're trying a cinchback, ranon - these are quite a slim cut for a cinchback, pretty unique, cos 20s jeans are wide, and 1880s jeans tend to be tapered.

you guys are a bunch of psychos! haha. that said, im interested in seeing how things will work out with the mix of contestants with people from different age groups and preferences. myself, having worn mostly slim cut denim, i dont know how it will work out and my first cinchback as well.

it would be cool to see how we manage to integrate this piece into our wardrobe or for some of us probably end up integrating new stuff that we purchase to suit this pair. possibilities abound, so its probably going to be pretty exciting.

Very true that Ran!

I used to have a pair of SDA d1334 which had similar details (cinch back, exposed backpocket rivets...) and they looked great with a shirt and a pair of boots, but blends into mediocrity worn with T-shirts or sneakers/sandals.

Might need to re-think what I'm going to wear this Summer (one month to go~)...

Lesson learnt from the d1334 is that I will be hammering the back-pocket rivets flat come 01/01/11 (if this isn't against the rules).

i wonder how whide the leg opening is going to be. i love the cut. and i am happy its not a slim fitting one. maybe i feel to old for that, or i am just into panst from the turn of the century up to the 50s. the cinch looks great, and its cut low so one can wear a belt with it,wich is sometimes a problem with s highe set cinch. still havend recieved my mail for the payment. should i be worried?

I love that Roy has set the cinch below the belt line - that's what put me off buying the Duckdigger Whiskey Cat's and the Samurai Osaka Campaign jeans.

Ralph Tharpe says they're a slow fade? Maybe this should be a 24 month competition....

The thought crossed my mind as well - what if after one year all of us only had a slight turquoise sheen with a little bit of white peaking through?

Who knows, only time will tell :)

as with my first experience with cone denim, given that i had to sell my first pair of roys given that i turned out too fat for them. trying to avoid the same mistake this time round.

even then, i have nothing but good things to say about cone denim. even more excited with the fact that theyre going to be slow faders. how can anybody not love how interesting these are? cut, denim, construction and everything else. damn, all this talk is making me excited.

feels like the most epic contest on sufu ever.

Very true that Ran!

I used to have a pair of SDA d1334 which had similar details (cinch back, exposed backpocket rivets...) and they looked great with a shirt and a pair of boots, but blends into mediocrity worn with T-shirts or sneakers/sandals.

)

Funnily enough, I was thinking how I needed a pair of heavyweight boots to take me thru Jan-April, perhaps some William Lennons (what can I sell?). But I normally wear cinchbacks only in the summer, because they're generally lighter weight denim, and they can work with Ts and sandals, it's a contrast between their busy detailing, and the simplicity of a T (think some of the Mr Freedom sailor-boy look). Mike, I shall be PMing you for belt decisions.

I shall be sporting five inch cuffs on the Kent beaches this summer..

Deniminthebox.jpg

THe denimbox is waiting, waiting...

^ Interesting~ maybe it's just me, not the denim :P

Well, I'm thinking about getting some nice leather sandals for Summer, no more plastic ones, especially with the Roy's.

When I wore my old cinchback SDAs, my T-shirt would invariably cover the cinch belt (because it was set at the belt line)...this time with Roy setting the cinch lower, maybe the effects will be dramatically different?

Ah cr@p, I foresee much money being spent in January on closet updates~

I'm going to do 1.5" double-cuffs...I'm sure my gf will beat me to death if I rocked 5" cuffs :P

P.S. Bring on the belt-talk Paul :)

as with my first experience with cone denim, given that i had to sell my first pair of roys given that i turned out too fat for them. trying to avoid the same mistake this time round.

even then, i have nothing but good things to say about cone denim. even more excited with the fact that theyre going to be slow faders. how can anybody not love how interesting these are? cut, denim, construction and everything else. damn, all this talk is making me excited.

feels like the most epic contest on sufu ever.

I don't understand this whole "Cone denim fades slow" thing... my Tellason Stummers (Cone White Oak) at 5.5 months and 2 washes:

IMG_2179.jpg

P.S. Bring on the belt-talk Paul :)

Yo let's make the belt-talk public! I too like the idea of a new belt to live with these jeans. I was thinking something like this one from Unlucky (click for larger size)

cool-clasp-open.jpg?w=300&h=200

What are you guys thinking?

Haha, I have a very similar thing coming from Unlucky (photo is Scott's own):

dscn2284o.jpg

Mine is a double-horse hide (18 oz total), extra fine grade, undyed/unfinished grain.

It has an outer row of wheat-coloured stitching with an inner row of natural-coloured stitching.

Also, the belt has a custom-shaped tip and is rivet secured at the buckle.

I designed it not to have patterned/crossing-stitches because horse hide ages in a more mosaic pattern compared to cattlehide, and too much patterning might distract from the patina.

Btw, if wanting to use horse-hide, better get some of the undyed/natural ones from Scott while he has the extra fine hides in stock - because it's relatively impermeable to water and oils compared to cattlehide, a pre-dyed horse-hide will likely show little evo in a one-year time frame.

Scott says the colour of the photo is not accurate though - I'll post up some pics in the belt thread when I get my claws on them!