ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Did everyone get their sizes in?

I noticed someone mentioned half-sizes for the waist. Don't go there. It's full sizes only. I think it's best to keep things clean and simple and do what he says, if your normal post-shrink size is, say, one inch smaller then go for it - but at your own risk, and don't even entertain hassling ROY with your internal debate.

I got my size in after the half size waist request was turned down.

Now gone for a 34x33 (after shrinkage).

Hinted to a good friend at work that I might ask him to take the odd photo (when at work). Amazingly he said yes, even after I told him it was for a jeans contest. Will get some ribbing for sure!

31 x 33 ordered! Waist (maybe a bit too low, though) measured to 31.5... downsize crew!

Today...

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

Grab bag bitches!!!

I went with a 31x35. Measured 31.5, but figured it will stretch plenty.

I assume we will get denim scraps as well when he ships out our jeans.

I was going to comment on one in particular, then I thought 'oh, that ones cool too'. Heck, good choices all around. They'd all look good hangin out the back pocket.

Haha it'll be fun to hear all your guys' impressions. The pic's (intentionally) pretty ambiguous, for instance the pattern of the top-left one is actually all little chickens!

Are those fabrics indigenous or imported dkatz?

@rnr it would be great to have some denim on hand for repairs....

imported, mostly from West Africa or India. Nbut massively popular with locals, so feel de facto "indigenous" to me

Here's the Cone fabric next to my 1936 Sanforized Edwin Lee (left). 1936 cinchbacks (these won't be geting much wear over the next year or two) . You can see how streaky and black the K87211 looks. With a soak, the warp will fill out more and it will become even blacker.

leevcone.jpg

Here's the Cone against an original pair of soaked, late 60s Levi's 302.Again, remember the new Cone, on the right is unsoaked and will get much darker as on the samples shown on page 1.

60slevisvscone.jpg

The 302 are much hairier - they were using a lot of short staple cotton then, according to Samurai this was Texas cotton altho other people tell me it was Carolinas. The late 60s fabric is very dark; once soaked, the new Cone should filt out and have similar density, but a different hue.

Now, courtesy of airfrog. THe 1915 Levi's might share some similarity with K78211. These are airfrog's 1915, a good six months in, they were worn dry (not soaked before wear) and this is after their first wash. Some interesting hues happening. I guess we might get something similar...

airfrog.jpg

so is this thread going to be at the top of superdenim for the next year?

We'll try our hardest.

Yeah, right. My guess is that Paul got about 3.5 to 4 yds of the stuff. Just enough for a pair of jeans.

Maybe I will buy it from him and have Rising Sun make a pair of their blacksmith jeans for me.

Sadly it's two yards.I could make some nice denim hot pants with it?

I'll try and get another sample to wash - but remember, all you gotta do is flip back to page 1!

Farhad's worried about sizing. He measures 34 with the tape but wants to get 32, as he reckons that's what he always has.

I don't really subscribe to the stretch-to-raw-size theory. It worked fine on my 55 but they were generous in the seat (which stretches less than the waist).

My guess would be 33. What's yours?

Can we talk Farhad in, so ROY get his order??

Erk is somewhere in the wilderness, too. I worry about these guys.

Sadly it's two yards.I could make some nice denim hot pants with it?

I'll try and get another sample to wash - but remember, all you gotta do is flip back to page 1!

Farhad's worried about sizing. He measures 34 with the tape but wants to get 32, as he reckons that's what he always has.

I don't really subscribe to the stretch-to-raw-size theory. It worked fine on my 55 but they were generous in the seat (which stretches less than the waist).

My guess would be 33. What's yours?

Can we talk Farhad in, so ROY get his order??

Erk is somewhere in the wilderness, too. I worry about these guys.

For farhad I would go with a 33 and assume it will stretch out to the required waist size. I usually assume 1in of stretch in the waist. It usually goes more, but by that time it is ready for a wash or some SUSPENDERS (not braces).

In the end if you are off in the waist by 1in, it is not much of an issue. The legs are not going to be much more fuller or tighter. If farhad is thinking 32 and the waist measures 34, split the difference. If a 32 was necessary then your jeans will feel just slightly more baggy, if 34 was necessary, then they are just a bit slimmer.

Also, ROY does the measurements this way, I'm assuming, because he is physically making the waist band for you. That means that he will measure the waist band from button hole to button and after shrinkage that should measure what your waist measured with the tape.

Most companies, assuming again, probably put their size tags on after the entire manufacturing process and measure the jeans based on laid flat method.

RE: Sizing: I suspect these will come cut to accommodate a big initial shrink and stealing an inch or two at the offset won't be a problem.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, however, but I suspect massive amounts of additional shrinkage once these things start to hit hard washes. Don't take my word, though, my experience with loomstate denim is limited.

I'd agree that Farhad should go with a 33" waist. I measure at 34" as well, but an inch stretch in the waist usually means just enough stretch everywhere else to look good.

When doing the first hot soak, I always monitor it with a tape measure so if things start to shrink too much, then I just pull them out and do a quick cold rinse. If I happen to size a bit too small, then I'll just do cold or warm washes from there on out. Not much you can do with jeans that are too big, though...

RE: Sizing: I suspect these will come cut to accommodate a big initial shrink and stealing an inch or two at the offset won't be a problem.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, however, but I suspect massive amounts of additional shrinkage once these things start to hit hard washes. Don't take my word, though, my experience with loomstate denim is limited.

Yup. I agree.

What i have done in the past, like Farhad, is size down cos I like wearing jeans raw or only briefly soaked. Hand wash cold at six months, stretch out and you're back to new size. But then when it comes to the first hard wash I have to sell em cos they're too small.

I am pretty certain ROY has factored in an inch of stretch. So even if you get two, ie back to raw, that means downsizing one inch from ROy-gut-size. I think another inch is pushing it.

Anyways. 33.

I thought that about my 1901's. But, they actually got a proper wash a couple of weeks ago, pulled then out of the machine, stretched the leg and the waist out a little and they're fine. Having said that I didn't size down so much in the Roys (too scared) and the 1901's are a much lighter fabric

What do you guys mean by hard washing- throwing them in a washing machine on hot? I did that for the first time with my MFSCs the other day, and not only did it not get them any cleaner than a hand wash, but it made (and faded) a crease in the left leg. Never again- only hand washes for me.

I am going for 32, which is what my 30s lee actually measure, and which I presume is maybe 33 raw. (My LVC are mostly 34, altho the 50s are 32). My ROy-gut-size is 33.

I figure it's a decent compromise, and really if they're an inch too big or an inch too shall I shall be fine. If they stretch I'll buy a belt, if they're tight I'll soak or wash cold.

thanks for the help guys. you're all awesome.

problemo is that I tried on the 32 in the straight leg (RS01) and they fit nicely.

so getting 33 post shrinkage might be too big. I'm measuring in between 33.5 to 34.

gut instinct tells me to get 32 but you guys are all saying 33. I don't wanna make a big deal about this. I just would hate for these not to fit as I'm super uber duper excited about getting them