ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

What's wrong with you guys? I understand you're all giddy with anticipation to receive these jeans, but what's the point of buying more denim now when these jeans will be welded to your body for the following year?

Habitual hoarding is part and parcel of some Y chromosomes.

I realise that this may be tantamount to revealing top secret military information given the fact that we are in a contest here.....nonetheless. I'm gonna ask.

What washing strategies are you guys intending to employ?

Personally I'm gonna stick to my usual approach.....monthly soaks w/ detergent and little agitation and then a machine wash at 6 months.

Over to you...

I work at a desk/laboratory all day, so I usually can go months without a wash, but i usually do the smell test. This means around 4-5 months I need to wash.

I do a handwash in room temp water (whatever comes out of the hose) with bronners or some other all natural joint.

My washing ritual:

1) Inside-out hot soak overnight.

2) Wear 4-5 months before an inside-out cold soak .

3) Reevaluate every month and either hand wash or hard wash.

4) Hard wash on warm outside-out with some dark colored towels, pull out before spin cycle. Hang dry. Fadez.

(But, you know, it's mostly by feel.)

I suspect the ROY denim will not be ready for a hard wash until the autumn or maybe not until judgment day (contest judgment day, not the Christian judgment day).

This is my first new pair of denim in 18 months. Other than can't-pass-up vintage, this will probably be my last denim purchase for 12-18 months. I only buy one pair a year. I try to wear that pair exclusively for 6 months then rotate in the rest of the collection for 6 months, then buy a new pair. Put $10 away in a jar each paycheck for guilt-free denim purchase at the end of the year.

^I also find that 4-5 months for first wash after initial hot soak to be the magic number. After 6 months it's fair game on washing although I find I don't wear them hard enough to warrant full washes most of the time (soaks will do the trick as far as getting the grime out for me)...I just wash them when they are dirty at that point and lose track....

For our lovely little contest, however, I'm thinking I'll hold out as long as possible and only do hot soaks (no detergent/Bronners) sparing soap until the very end...

Hard or soft water?

Whatever comes out of the faucet. I think it is hard. :D

I usually go ~5 months between the initial hot soak and the first hand wash. Then, I just do a warm hand wash every couple of months. No machine washes, although I may do one right at the end.

Rnr, what do you do in a lab?

I'm a fiber optics/electrical/software engineer, so I do a lot of optical setups and a lot of circuit troubleshooting. I write automation software for our technical labs. A lot of fun stuff that sounds really boring actually.

I'm a fiber optics/electrical/software engineer, so I do a lot of optical setups and a lot of circuit troubleshooting. I write automation software for our technical labs. A lot of fun stuff that sounds really boring actually.

Sound cool to me. You just need to add NSA CIA Interpol in there. " I write software for electrical fiber optics systems that the NSA uses for...I am not a liberty to say."

Roy jeans. To stay on topic.

There's nothing cool about the NSA. At least the CIA spies on other countries, the NSA is Americans spying on Americans, and few if any of their methods would even come close to passing constitutional muster if they were ever reviewed, which no one is allowed to do. Even their budget (which is large) is completely off the books.

As for the ROYs, I'm thinking of following the French method.

My goal is going to be not to wash these whilst in Uganda. The main reason is that washing = indigo loss. Indigo loss = lighter color. Lighter color = nasty-ass Ugandan "ochre" (as riff termed it) stands out much much more an makes me look filthy, which in turn = much more frequent washing required (see my SExDBxS09 as an example).

Maybe I'll give the occasional dirt-lifting soak a try, though.

You're gonna wash them while two chicks make out? Shit. Maybe I will do that method too.

My goal is going to be not to wash these whilst in Uganda. The main reason is that washing = indigo loss. Indigo loss = lighter color. Lighter color = nasty-ass Ugandan "ochre" (as riff termed it) stands out much much more an makes me look filthy, which in turn = much more frequent washing required (see my SExDBxS09 as an example).

Maybe I'll give the occasional dirt-lifting soak a try, though.

One tip, which cowboys used to use, is to starch your jeans - it acts as a kind of dirt screen (apparently broken twill is even better at absorbing it, hence its popularity. Might help cut out the ochre.

But don't store your starch near an outside door, like I did. Mice ate the lot.

French method? This doesn't involve Marlon Brando and a stick of butter, does it?

Gene Hackman and a pork pie?

David Carradine and a noose? Oh wait that's the Thai method.

You're gonna wash them while two chicks make out? Shit. Maybe I will do that method too.

Wash? I said the FRENCH method. Otherwise you guys have the general idea. Also there is alot of sitting with crossed legs outside of cafes, and smoking.

There's nothing cool about the NSA. At least the CIA spies on other countries, the NSA is Americans spying on Americans, and few if any of their methods would even come close to passing constitutional muster if they were ever reviewed, which no one is allowed to do. Even their budget (which is large) is completely off the books.

Read up young son.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Security_Agency

The agency is much older than 911 and the Patriot Act you ninny.

True enough. Does any one know if these contest pants will be reproduced in some form for the public?

Your guess is as good as mine; but he is working on new stuff so it's always possible a new model might derive from this one. But for obvious (selfish) reasons - I hope not!