Loopwheeled/Vintage T-Shirts

jstavrin

• 2 months later...

After trying out T-shirts from lots of brands (Flat Head, Trophy Clothing, Toys McCoy, Pherrows, Cheswick, Buzz) I've finally gone back to the ones that work best when the weather gets hot and humid:

YS42PWu.jpg

Thin, without being sheer, sufficiently tight neck hole, and perfect length (not long but not short and boxy). I still love the Flat Heads for when it's cooler though!

when i go Japan next year, I will try to pick up a pack of those tees.

Most of my t-shirts are Uniqlo, which I think are good quality and awesome designs, but want to see/feel just how much better all these premium tubular and loopwheeled t-shirts are in comparison

Are those whitesville tees loopwheeled?

Nope, they're not loopwheeled.  They're great tees for the price.  We carry them at three of our stores and they sell super fast because the feel of the t-shirt is unlike anything else being made by a Japanese brand.

Does the SESF happen to carry them Kiya? I'll be heading that way this summer and would love to check them out in person.

Nope, only at SENY, SELA, SEPDX, and SEMX.

Wondering the same here, and do they shrink or are they one-washed?

They shrink a little; the shop Clever-id claims they shrink 1 cm in the width (and the Grey version could shrink 2-3 cm).

They're a snug fit, though I like that, and I find them TTS. I buy Medium size T-shirts from every Japanese brand aside from TFH, which I buy 40. For reference I'm 180 cm and 72 kg.

Clever's non-wash size chart for the Whitesville shirts is here:

http://www.clever-id.com/htm/whitesville/sst/14/wv73544.html

Edited by Iron Horse

Picked up a Merz B Schwanen 50s T shirt from Son of a Stag yesterday. It's a nice cut, very nicely constructed and I like it a lot.

Would recommend. It's a bit lighter weight than their 'army' t shirt, a nice summer weight I'd say

26898250921_629bb6bf43_z.jpg

^ there are dozens of different cuts for the merz tees. some do have a decidedly loose neck, but the army t shirt and the 50s t shirt are both cut with a smallish neck hole. Also, I'm wearing a small (which is TTS) but I probably could have sized up to a medium for a looser fit, and I think that's what they've done in their fit pics. 

I saw a post on reddit the other day, where guy said he cold washed and air dried and the t-shirts still shrank. Would be good to know if they shrink for you after you hand wash them

OK, while I remember, pre wash (but after a days wear) it's measuring 47cm pit to pit and 63.5 cm collar to hem. I put that down now as I know I will forget later. I will update with post wash measures tomorrow.

Update. After a cool handwash and air dry, I'm only seeing a little shrinkage. I measured again, and it's now 46.5cm pit to pit, and lost about a cm in length, so at 62.5cm. I did baby it though..

some details - i love the knit on this t shirt - has a subtle texture that you can see in this pic.

26712292540_38d95a4b18_z.jpg

26952614446_dfc84eaf09_z.jpg

Love this pit detail: means that even though the shirt is fitted and the armhoe high, it's not clingy in the pits

26952613376_29928328e6_z.jpg

26712289020_77de5d6037_z.jpg

Nice shirt, I've been meaning to try out some of the Merz stuff for awhile now.

Also need to get to trying out Whitesville, very nice for the price.

Next t-shirt I'm planning on picking up is one of these from Mister Freedom:

Fletcher-Indigo1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Some photos of the Whitesville:

"Double binder neck"

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

Neck and shoulder:

IMG_3943.jpg

Double needle hem:

IMG_3944.jpg

And a fit:

IMG_9349.jpg

Did you tumble dry these? I wear my Hanes undershirts(S) much tighter and stretch into them than my TFH(40) shirts which have some room in the belly. If they really shrink just 1-2 cm after the dryer in width then the stretch for a (S) should be manageable for me given that they are good at stretching at the right places.

jesus christ, if I cant throw my t-shirts in the washer and dryer and count on it coming out the same size I wont bother with it haha.  You guys are getting meta on this t-shirt wash game.  I absolutely love the fit of an old loopwheeled IH t-shirt but the damn thing is way too thick.  The Strike Gold I have is good too, but I sized up one so I didnt have to baby the fucker when it came to washing.  It gets thrown in the washer dryer alongside the socks and boxers;  Biggest pet peeve as of late is the "vintage" boxy cut some t-shirts have.  Im not a lego or minecraft character haha

Edited by garden gnomes in space

Did you tumble dry these? I wear my Hanes undershirts(S) much tighter and stretch into them than my TFH(40) shirts which have some room in the belly. If they really shrink just 1-2 cm after the dryer in width then the stretch for a (S) should be manageable for me given that they are good at stretching at the right places.

Nope, I've just been washing these shirts by hand and hang drying them outside. My washer/dryer at home is one of those combo units, so it doesn't tumble dry, it just kind of squeezes clothes dry. I'd say mine shrunk minimally, but a tumble dry could get them to shrink more.

They certainly are stretchy compared to TFH, but I wear 40 in TFH THCs and find the Whitesville M to be perfect.

Edited by Iron Horse