Levi's Made to Order (Lot No. 1)

halfbaiked

Levi's has a really great program going on where a "master tailor" custom builds a pair of jeans for you. You choose the buttons, rivets, threads, etc. The tailor takes your measurements, has you try on a bunch of different fits, makes several adjustments, and finally creates jeans that fit your body from scratch. 

I had mine crafted at the San Francisco Levi's flagship store by Ryan Grant-Hays.

There is a whole library of denim you can choose from... all colors, all weights, Turkish, Japanese, American Cone Mills, etc. I chose to use a special fabric created by Cone Mills especially and exclusively for the Lot No. 1 Project. 

I had a roll of denim in my house as well as some kimono threads and was hoping to make some jeans out of it, but unfortunately Levi's does not allow for you to bring in your own materials. None-the-less, they have an enormous catalog. You should be able to find something to your liking.  

5uiNjm.jpg

yKZ3Xq.jpg

As you can see, haven't had a chance to wear them in... although I got them made a while back, I just started to wear them in order to give my Strike Gold's a break. I would say I've had about 2 weeks of actual wear on these guys... taking long walks throughout San Francisco. 

Edited by halfbaiked

Well done, halfbaiked and an interesting thread. Great to see Levis stepping up to a MTM line with so many choices. I'm looking forward to having a pair made. Will be interesting to learn which of the stores offer the service. EDIT - NYC, San Francisco and London, looks like a road trip!

Edited by lance

£500 for a pair in London. Ouch.

I like the idea, a lot. Weirdly, though, I'm not bothered about getting a "perfect" fit. I like the fact that jeans are never perfect and you sort of knock them into shape as you wear them, size up or size down to get what you're after, roll them up if they're too long etc etc.

I'd like it if Levi's did a cheaper version of this service with classic cuts. Pick rivets, denim, pocket lining etc, and get them in a 501 or whatever.

i like the idea but $650 is absurd.  

I semi-agree. My rationale is in 2014, I bought 3 pairs of raw jeans. (why? because I got bored and cool new things are always coming out.) probably spent over a grand in jeans. 

For 2015, I decided to just get one pair - this pair. 

I guess one can rationalize a purchase in this way. 

But let's be really honest, when Flat Head releases a super ultra cool rare limited slim fit collaboration with Samurai, Pure Blue, and Iron Heart, I will probably buy another pair in 2015. 

It will not impact their volume production at all. Custom pairs are made in-store by their tailors whilst the volume production is made in factories. If demand for custom pairs increased there would either be a longer waiting list or they would employ more in-house tailors.

Thank you for posting. I like the concept. It is difficult to offer, and they probably don't want too many takers. It might slow down their volume production if they started making too many custom pairs.

Someone needs to get a list of all the different denims offered, with weights.

I agree, I'll e-mail Ryan right now to see if I can get this info to you guys! ^_^ 

Although some may consider the price tag high for Levi's, I think the value is in having Levi's make a custom pair of jeans, just for you. Cool project. 

Clickies (I've watched these before halfbaiked got his pair): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0wE3H3WTBc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZzHDCJvFzM

I recall being in Cinch some years ago (maybe around 2007 from memory) and exactly this happened. A Saudi guy bowled in, told the staff his waist size and took a pair of every washed Jean they had in his size - no raw whatsoever. He even bought one of the circa £500 vault pieces, the staff tried to explain the background to the jean and he barely paid any attention.

It's a good point Iron Horse, whenever we think people won't pay crazy money for jeans there will always be customers out there willing to pay.

As everyone else has said, that's just some crazy money for those jeans.  Even if they were hank dyed with natural indigo and stitched by roy I wouldn't pay that.  OK i probably would, but still.

Those just don't look like $650 jeans to me, and I doubt that the denim they offer is that great either.  Did they offer you pictures of how it looks once worn?