Tender Co. Denim

braille_teeth

Based on my positive experience with the natural ecru 138's, I couldn't resist getting a pair of the wattle twill version from Understudy, and they've just come. Couldn't be more pleased with them really. They're gorgeous, with nice little idiosyncrasies caused by the dying job. Will have to post some pictures at some point.

Based on my positive experience with the natural ecru 138's, I couldn't resist getting a pair of the wattle twill version from Understudy, and they've just come. Couldn't be more pleased with them really. They're gorgeous, with nice little idiosyncrasies caused by the dying job. Will have to post some pictures at some point.

Thank you, and please do post some pictures!

quick heads-up, SLEEPER ss14 is now up online at Hickoree's and Peggs & Son. I'm particularly pleased with how these overall trousers came out:

braces_trousers_-_black_11_.jpg

The original were over-pants, with slits in the sides to reach through to your proper trousers. For these, we added pocket bags, but the split and facings are the same. The fabric's an English-woven broken twill.

Hello all, 

Been following this thread for a while now. I have a few tender pieces, the logwood 900 with wool lining, some socks, and a pair of wattle tan 138s. 

I was wondering what peoples experiences with soaking the dyed jeans? I understand they probably won't shrink much more? Mine are slightly loose around the waist, it would be great if they would shrink just a little! 

Any one got experience with this? 

Thanks!

Hello all, 

Been following this thread for a while now. I have a few tender pieces, the logwood 900 with wool lining, some socks, and a pair of wattle tan 138s. 

I was wondering what peoples experiences with soaking the dyed jeans? I understand they probably won't shrink much more? Mine are slightly loose around the waist, it would be great if they would shrink just a little! 

Any one got experience with this? 

Thanks!

To my experience, my 129 woad dyed jeans shrank a tiny bit after washing but it quickly stetched back to normal size within a wear.

My 129 shorts with the new twill fabric felt a little shorter as well after the wash.

That's a shame. You should have been here. A lot of it, is for the people in the industry so I'm afraid I can't visit those :( would have loved to.

^brilliant! thank you

I just received a recent copy of Popeye magazine:

14175645481_44413788be_n.jpg

which has this piece in it:

14178960755_7f10c1012c_z.jpg

it's a bit tricky to see from the photo above (sorry), but this was one of the coolest experiences I've had. When I was in Tokyo in March, the Popeye writer and photographer took me on a personal tour of places in Tokyo that they thought I'd enjoy. We started off in the most brilliant little box of a vintage camera shop. The owner was incredibly friendly and offered me a beer from a fridge under the desk, then showed me through his amazing stuff. It was a tiny little box of a store in an old-fashioned mall, but he had a huge collection of incredible old Leicas and some Hasselblads and Rolleiflexes, as well as piles of lenses, cases, and merchandising. Then there were stacks of beautiful old jazz records, a shelf of Pelikan and Yard o Led pens, a cabinet with some seriously rare watches, and a high shelf behind the desk full of single malts. To top it off, he asked me if I'd like to see some photographic prints. These were just stacked in another pile, but included an original Diane Arbus print, some Andre Kertesz, and an original copy of Araki's home-produced hand sewn magazine, Xerox. It was way too much to take in properly!

Next we went to another old antiques and bric-a-brac mall, to a little stand run by a guy who collected and sold Americana, specifically Yale memorabilia, braided NATO-style watch straps, driving watches, and early Abercrombie & Fitch items. The A&F stuff was some of the best- for anyone who doesn't know their history, in the early days they were a full outdoors suppliers, with  casting pond inside their store for testing out rods, and a big camping department. Their watches were pretty serious, too- I tried on a nice little 3-hander with a Jaeger LeCoultre movement, no less. His collection of drivers watched was really nice- not just early angled dials (like Tender's) but also some with prism crystals so that you can view the hands from an oblique angle, and one model which who's case was shaped to be worn on the side of the wrist. One of the coolest things was a set of A&F branded crockery printed in blue with hunting and game scenes, packed in a wicker basket. 

Next we stopped off for a coffee (this was the evening that I arrived in Japan, and I'd been up for well over 24 hours by now…) then finished up at the Porter Pawn Shop. This is a little shop owned by the guy who started Yoshida Porter- he's since sold the brand and moved on, I believe, but this is a tiny personal project. Apparently they sometimes get confused punters coming in trying to pawn things, but it's actually more like a museum of his collations. Talking about watches, there was a pretty mind blowing collection of Rolex and Patek Philippe pocket watches, and at the other end of the spectrum some really nice old rust railway whistles. And a first edition copy of In His Own Write by John Lennon, which I also own (nice drawings- worth a look!)

All of this took place over a couple of hours, and they did a sort of interview with me while we were looking round, but I felt like I got way more from it than I put in- it was a fantastic experience, and all of these shops (particularly the first camera shop) really felt like places you wouldn't find on the normal tourist/shopping circuit. It was a real honour.

I just bought a pair of woad dyed 130s in size 2 from ebay for a good price. They're a bit too tight on me, hoped that size 2 would be good in case of any stretch, but theyre just too tight from the get go. 

Anyone interested? Theyre in amazing condition, guy I bought them from had only worn them 4 or 5 times and it shows. The worst thing is that he had them hemmed to a 31 inside leg, so unless you're pretty small youll be hard pressed to have a double cuff!

bump. i'll be washing my 130s soon. i'll be posting updates.

In other news, I think all of these jeans have appeared here in the past, but not for a while. I took these photos this afternoon for The Taste Makers, a store in Tokyo which stocks Tender and wanted some worn images for their shop:

12325363883_68d8bf40f1_c.jpg

12325335773_82f047e9ef_c.jpg

12325599514_97882fe050_c.jpg

12325584044_8b0bba1a30_c.jpg

top to bottom, 132 woad dyed, 132D wattle dyed, 130 weld dyed, 133XX For Holding Up The Trousers special Unborn

^looking forward to it!

Here's an update on my Sidings boots. We've been cutting back some trees in the garden, and last night I was burning branches:

14213532172_b83b49ba7f_z.jpg

Embers kept spilling out of the air vents at the bottom, and I was trying to push them back in with my toe. Unfortunately that led to this…:

14213062902_6ab1896042_z.jpg

So this morning I gave them a very thorough rubbing over with a pot of leather wax:

14213061692_f9a289b3e8_z.jpg

14028807748_0b3e25d5ff_z.jpg

Here they are this evening, I think the stripes and burned bits are an improvement, in the end  :)

14213531572_787aefd024_z.jpg

It's still early days for these boots- I've only been wearing them since last weekend, but they're already getting comfy. I'll post more pictures in due course!

i pretty much wear this every day.

shirt | jacket | jeans | socks | specs

91C98135-39B3-4695-A9C8-D2FF7A642CAE_zps

B2A2FB28-C596-4F0F-9E84-15775A2EEDEF_zps

Hey William,

Do you consider doing any further items with the material you used for the Beaverton Jeans? It's such a great material, I'd love to see more use out of it.

There were some jackets (last one here) in the original production of that fabric. There's not much of the cloth left, but I'll have a think!