Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

I may be misunderstanding his note on roydenim.com... but I am pretty sure he wants to handle all things ROY , including sales and marketing.

And from what I can tell he's not looking to overwhelm himself with orders from Kiya, other stores.

He's able to work at his own pace and communicate w/ clientele on everything... thats part of what I liked about buying my jeans from him was him walking me through sizing, us talking about other stuff

if he sells at a store the personal touch is gone

It's like Paul-T said some time ago in this thread, ROY denim isn't just jeans its Roy Slaper.

ROY's stuff would definitely not be as interesting if it were available off the rack from large retailers.

I wanted to get a pair of these because they seem to be high quality jeans at a good price point....but obviously because of the limited availability of these I have to rely on testimonials on the net and reading some of the last few pages am I to understand that Roy's jeans aren't really that special on their own compared to other jeans that can be bought off the rack?

I wanted to get a pair of these because they seem to be high quality jeans at a good price point....but obviously because of the limited availability of these I have to rely on testimonials on the net and reading some of the last few pages am I to understand that Roy's jeans aren't really that special on their own compared to other jeans that can be bought (gasp) off the rack?

If the reason people rant and rave about them here is because they get to exchange a couple of personalized emails with the designer and get their silly name embroidered in the jean or because they are somewhat exclusive now then I'll pass. I don't need to be in the club if the inside of the club is nothing special.

Looks like you just don't get it. Guess you are right, they are not for you.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? ROY Denim is TOP QUALITY. You obviously have not done your research in this thread. If "you have to rely on testimonials" and are contemplating buying them, why wouldn't you read the whole thread?

Looks like you just don't get it. Guess you are right, they are not for you.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? ROY Denim is TOP QUALITY. You obviously have not done your research in this thread. If "you have to rely on testimonials" and are contemplating buying them, why wouldn't you read the whole thread?

Guilty - I haven't read all 1260 posts...maybe only got through about 900 of them....but you illustrate my point. I have read many posts that say it's top quality - that's what attracts me to it. It also seems there are other posts from knowledgeable folks here that seem to suggest they wouldn't purchase Roy jeans if they didn't get to order directly from Roy. That seems weird to me.

Hey if Kiya says they are "next level" I'm inclined to believe him. I just want to make sure I'm not mistaken and "next level" actually just means the customer service side of things and the jeans are otherwise on par with any other more common pair of jeans at SE/BiG.

....by the way, I think the original post was written a little more bitchy than I intended - sorry for that(edited it to tone down the unintended bitchiness). Been a long day - I meant for it to be a honest question because I don't understand how people can be on the fence about something that appears to be high quality only because of rumors of expanding their business.

14oz White Oak denim from Cone chosen for loom chatter and character

Nice sturdy hard-ware, no frills, all quality

Hand-hammered hidden rivets

9oz English bridle leather patch, hand-carved

Tucked-in and raised belt loops

Made with care on vintage machinery by one dedicated man

Inseam cut-to-length

Thick sturdy pocket-fabric, chain-stitch embroidery

Top-notch construction

And sure, getting to have a conversation with Roy is definitely a huge plus (the man is very helpful, service is quite good) - but not the sole reason why I bought them.

It's a combination of all the above factors, and the fact that Roy was charging $150 for them, that made me take a chance on them initially.

Now I'm loving them to death - they're special alright, but if they were off the rack, they would still be awesome jeans, just minus that personal touch. And let's face it, a personal connection can make a whole world of difference (we seek it everywhere everyday, so why not in jeans?).

I think some of the people here are just a little infatuated with being part of Roy's early success. But make no mistake, these jeans stand on their own easily. I think Vinneus has written some excellent posts regarding the jeans and he seems to have a relatively large collection/experience of jeans to compare them to. I am the lucky owner of 2 . And I remember vinneus comparing the top block of the roy's and the leg fit. I didn't understand it at the time, because my first pair was too small.. then I lost 15 pounds. Now they fit me perfect, and I understand what vin. meant. There really does seem to be separation between the top block and the legs... What I like most is the way they hang on your hips but still allow good movement without having giant stove pipe legs. And of course the quality of denim and construction is top notch. I think the most important key is to get the proper fit. If Roy is building an inventory , it could help a lot of people out. Having the option of exchanging a pair for a different size would really be nice. (without a long wait time)

I wanted to get a pair of these because they seem to be high quality jeans at a good price point....but obviously because of the limited availability of these I have to rely on testimonials on the net and reading some of the last few pages am I to understand that Roy's jeans aren't really that special on their own compared to other jeans that can be bought off the rack?

The bottom line is that for the price, these are arguably the most well made jeans that you can find.

No, glimmertwins, I can see how you would take my post as being snobbish. I didn't intend it as such.

What I meant was, ROY runs a small operation, does every step himself by hand on vintage machines that he really, really loves, and takes orders. makes them, and ships them himself. When you buy ROYs, you pay the man who made them, not a retailer who buys them and marks them up and gives the actual maker a percentage.

They're also made in America from American made denim, which is a good selling point for Americans, since we make so little and import so much.

And yes, scout, some of us enjoyed being in on it early and crowed about it. This is Superfuture, dude.

It also seems there are other posts from knowledgeable folks here that seem to suggest they wouldn't purchase Roy jeans if they didn't get to order directly from Roy. That seems weird to me.

Guilty, I have made a remark similar to that many pages back.

What I was implying was that Roy's stuff are as well made as Samurai, SDA, etc - but the reason why I'm wearing Roy's instead of my other jeans is because of that personal connection.

If that connection is lost, I would think twice about purchasing another pair of Roy's because I have a whole closet of interesting denim I'm dyeing to get some wears out of.

However, for someone on the market for a fresh pair, a pair of Roy's, even if off the rack, would be a superb choice.

At $150, not much comes close.

As for quality - I've shown so many pictures inside & out of these jeans. The only thing you have to rely on word of mouth is the hand of the denim & how the jeans will age, and even then you could get an inkling of the texture from the various macros shots available in this thread.

Do it, buy a pair & believe :P

As for quality - I've shown so many pictures inside & out of these jeans. The only thing you have to rely on word of mouth is the hand of the denim & how the jeans will age, and even then you could get an inkling of the texture from the various macros shots available in this thread.

Do it, buy a pair & believe :P

Glimmertwins, either the idea of the jeans turns you on, or it doesn't. The discussion is pretty pointless; there is nothing like ROYs available elsewhere available in the world. If you prefer the idea of Samurais - let's face it, there is much more peer reinforcement to tell you they're great - then buy them.

If, however, these jeans strike you as obviously unique, and you like something unique, then buy them. It's as simple as that.

I think in a way this latest discussion illustrates the danger of selling high quality at a low price. It happens so rarely that people think it might be too good to be true.

What he said.