Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

RS04. I fucking love this shit. Going on six months now. I've been maintaining the status quo as far as fades over the past two months or so. Either these are about to pop or I'm looking forward to a nice slow fade over the next year+. On the one hand this sucks because I've been trying to justify a warehouse/fullcount/denime purchase. On the other hand these jeans are going to look bossy as hell. I'm particularly excited about watching the roping develop over the next few months.

8368560281_c962868ed1_b.jpg

Dkatz - Congratulations on your prize. Looking good in the fit pics.

I have a query....Was going through some of the RoyXCone thread and noticed you bought your Dad some RN01's over a year ago now.

Give us an update on your pops fades, id be interested to see how they've turned out.

Cheers

Anyone have broken in black 'n' blues or first-run ducks? I'd be curious to see how those are coming along.

Just gave my ducks a second soak, and successfully accomplished my first pants-stand!

photo.JPG

Pussy poppin' on a pantstand

I'll get some pics of my OG ducks after a wash. The fades on them are perfect!

I just ordered some new ducks. I'll post some pics as soon as I get 'em going.

Meanwhile, here are some iPhone pics I just took of my RS01s. These are a bout 2 years old - rotated with a few different things. I can attest to the fact that these are slow to fade!

Plus, I live in the Southern US where I can't really wear jeans all that much in the summer. My guess is that I wear them on average about 2-3 times a week, haven't done much manual labor in them.

C8A0A4A9-AAF3-4BD2-8C63-43420B41AF65-12311-00000A35E1AF72BA.jpg

8F0A4E81-6B56-4699-8909-51112F4B70CA-12311-00000A35D2D18A0B.jpg

7BA1FE48-D307-4FDF-AB10-2D561EC65176-12311-00000A35C9069EBE.jpg

Edited by leftyaxeslinger

Dkatz - Congratulations on your prize. Looking good in the fit pics.

I have a query....Was going through some of the RoyXCone thread and noticed you bought your Dad some RN01's over a year ago now.

Give us an update on your pops fades, id be interested to see how they've turned out.

Cheers

Thanks man! I actually got him pre-Self Edge Roy's, back in the made-to-order days. Last I saw they were still quite dark (they're his "nice" jeans, much to Roy's chagrin), but I'll try to remember to get some cross-generational Roy fade pics next time I'm at the parents'.

Pussy poppin' on a pantstand

I'll get some pics of my OG ducks after a wash. The fades on them are perfect!

Laughed out loud at that. And sweet, I look forward to those pics!

I just ordered some new ducks. I'll post some pics as soon as I get 'em going.

Meanwhile, here are some iPhone pics I just took of my RS01s. These are a bout 2 years old - rotated with a few different things. I can attest to the fact that these are slow to fade!

Plus, I live in the Southern US where I can't really wear jeans all that much in the summer. My guess is that I wear them on average about 2-3 times a week

My RN01s are actually coming along quite nicely. I'll try to remember to get some pics of them this weekend.

And to your latter comment: pppsssshhhh. I live in SoCal and even only have a bike as a means of transportation, and almost never went jeans-less this past summer! I also wore jeans every day in Equatorial East Africa, and Rio de Janeiro, though, so I might just be inured to leg-overheating.

And to your latter comment: pppsssshhhh. I live in SoCal and even only have a bike as a means of transportation, and almost never went jeans-less this past summer! I also wore jeans every day in Equatorial East Africa, and Rio de Janeiro, though, so I might just be inured to leg-overheating.

Yeah, I followed the Roy x Cone contest thread and dug all your posts but thought you must be hot!! I'll wear jeans here and there during the summer, especially to work, but for outdoor stuff, it;s too humid. However, mosquitos love me so maybe I should make more of an effort to go denim all summer!

Figured its time to throw up some pics of my RS04's. I always manage to take pics at the worst possible time of day, so sorry aout the weird lighting. Denim has proven to be pretty stubborn. Lots oing on under the surface so to speak. Its shown some slight slub, and the colors that are popping out (in direct sunlight especially) are pretty wild.

IMG_1157_zps4c547e53.jpg

Edited by garden gnomes in space

agree with garden gnome, the colors really come out in the sun. I've been wearing my RS04s for 6 weeks, thought there was no color change, then I stepped out into the sun and you could see subtle shades of electric blue. (Living in Seattle means we get almost no sun right now)

A quick pic of my RS04's.

The Electric blues on my Left thigh are only really visible in direct sunlight, and still have been hard to accurately capture. Slightly more vivid in the right lighting.

So there is progress, but not that obvious; This pair have had 2 warm soaks.

Ukeno_RS04_Jan12.jpg

Awesome. I love having othe people breaking these things in at the same time asme. These a definite sense of comradery (sorryfor spelling)

I was wearing these in a car for 29 hours and had alot of time to stare at them haha, I noticed that on a certain angle I saw some of the warp was sticking out vertically in a random pattern.

Im going out on a limb here and Im going to predict some decent vertical falling (from a fucking Cone weave!!!) going on down the line! Can anyone confirm for me or did I just spend way too long in a car.

Oh and also, i very, very strongly prefer slow faders so maybe im used to it, but im not seeing these as slow as people are saying. I got about 3 weeks of light wear and I got the start of wallet, crotch, right knee, roping and pocket knife fades. All super minor but they are still there.

agree with garden gnome, the colors really come out in the sun. I've been wearing my RS04s for 6 weeks, thought there was no color change, then I stepped out into the sun and you could see subtle shades of electric blue. (Living in Seattle means we get almost no sun right now)

lol, I grew up in west seattle and I gotta say I dont miss the winter months up there.

Also, bbcapone, I sort of agree with what you are saying as far as the quickness of fading. I quickly saw a lot of the atari fading on raised points and puckers, around the fly area etc. However, I've been wearing mine for 6 months and am only just now getting some noticeable whisker fades and leg fades. As others have pointed out, there is some electric blue showing through, but only in the brightest of sunlight. Although there is some fading around the knee area, I think honeycombs are still a ways off.

I plan to give them their third wash (first with soap) within the next month or two, so maybe this will get rid of loose indigo and reveal some more contrast, but I don't expect (or hope) that these will be like samurai or flatheads.

Quoise- a soap wash should bring out a lot of the "hidden" fades, though like you said it shouldnt be as dramatic as we see on alot of Japanese brands.

The honeycombs however you will probably have to purposely try for. You seem to have a very wabi-sabi style what with the 3 washes in 6 months, which would be like eating a baby to many american heads, so if you are going for the vintage type fades I wouldnt be counting on the combs anytime soon with your washing regiment. We both seem to have a distaste for super high contrasty "mall" fades that everyone jacks each other off over around here. These seem to be the perfect denim for our type; not uselessly heavy, slow fades, not a super tight nut-hug fit and perhaps most important to me 100% American made through and through. America is still in the denim game baby! And imho blowing away 90% of the denim out there! How often do you see a denim that people are so fascinated by and discovering new things about week by week. That is special.

edit- I'll be posting up my post 4th wash 1st gen ducks here soon. I think youll like em.

Edited by bbcapone

fwiw, I hate the extreme (exxxxtreme!!!) fades that seem to be the rage. I think they are one step away from looking acid washed. I greatly prefer a vintage, natural fade. These ROY's will definitely deliver on that front. The more I wear the more I love them. And the details are ridiculous. I geek out on the chain stitching on the back pockets while they are hanging in my closet. I just stand in there and touch them. My wife thinks Im fucking insane.

IMG_1155_zps941c5489.jpg

Edited by garden gnomes in space

haha i know that just standing their looking at them feeling. We are all guilty of that at somepoint.

Youre right about the acid wash ahah thats the next step for sure.

Let me ask you guys something; who here was not into denim and then saw one of those super contrasty gross fades and was like "I gotta get in on this"?

Now take that same question and replace the mall fades with a beautiful vintage example.... They might be the rage now, but give it a few years and people will still be in love with te vintage levi look.

Gnome- Fuck your wife! Im not badmouthing her, seriously go fuck her good. If you re doing that really good she wont give a shit what you're into. hahaha i kid.... kinda....

Gn.

I think the "extreme" fading population is over-represented here on sufu. It's an indication of naivete when it comes to raw denim, adopting the mentality of sizing down 2, not washing for a year, etc.

If you check out the worn pairs by most sufu veterans, you will notice that the vintage aesthetic is much more favoured.

I believe it comes down to aesthetic and maintenance, moreso than the textile. Sure, some denim will yield higher contrast fades, but a pair of true-to-size straight cut (or mildly tapered) jeans, washed bimonthly (or more frequently), won't produce sharp honeycombs, regardless of the type of denim. For example, poly800rock's Samurais posted in the Evo thread - not all Sams need to be high contrast. Sharply defined combs are a telltale sign of extended wear before washing, as the first wash will shift the creases and scatter the honeycomb pattern. I definitely find myself gravitating towards washing sooner, no later than at 4 month intervals.

Oh, and to keep things on the topic of ROY - quack!

peterparker - I agree generally with what you say although I am not sure that sharply contrasting combs and extreme fades is related to people's naivety. It could be more of a trend thing where the wearer is more interested in the issue of getting highly contrasting fades in line with an internet community as opposed to having any genuine interest in raw denim and all that comes with it. They may reference raw denim but that is only the vehicle for whatever their real objective is.

How raw denim wears is low on my list when it comes to buying a pair of jeans There are only so many ways in which a pair of jeans will change appearance due to wear and it cannot be as important as getting a pair that fits properly (that you wash like you would any other item of clothing as they used to in the old days) and which actually look good. I think that the aesthetics of jeans that suit, may generally get lost in the obsession with brands, weights, contests, JP vs US etc (this is not a dig at anything or anyone either).

FWIW I wash my jeans every 3 or 4 weeks or so. I have actually sold lots of pairs of jeans when they started to show signs of major fading. I don't like the way it looks really although I can live with vintage style vertical fades. Even got rid of a pair of Denime XX x-type because they had developed a stonewashed look to them on the seams. For some reason my Roy RS1s (on the last page) have held up well colourwise although there is some fairly strong contrasting going on now. Hmmm, I sense an ebay listing coming on.

If there's any naivety at superdenim, it's the idea that there's only one route to a good looking pair of faded jeans, and only one aesthetic that is pleasing. I think that has changed quite a bit though over the past four years, where you now have more well rounded experienced people here, able to appreciate a wider range of tastes and styles.

This is becomming a fantastic thread. haha Im with gnomes- wash every other day, we all go to africa to become subsistence gold miners, only wear your denim in highly corrosive enviroments, 3 sizes up with a double cinch back, and lets get a group buy going on to build a time machine and have our denim woven from 1800s railroad workers pubic hair for the weft, hair from donkeys in the dust bowl for the wrp.