Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

If I lived in the rockies I'd love wearing a bunch of long sleeves and jackets!

You can send me your Buco jacket and I'll wear out here for ya, ;) 

Yeah, length of an untucked shirt is a pet peeve of mine. Generally I'm a tucker so it doesn't bother me all the time but most people these days aren't. They go untucked. However, I feel most shirt companies still make their shirts of a tuckable length. Especially the back tail. This just then looks sloppy to my eye.

A short sleeve button up should be a casual, hot weather piece and therefor I think they look much better with a squared off bottom hem and with a length that finishes somewhere close to the tops of the pockets. Even with tails I feel that's as long as the shirt should be. 

Edited by devilish

One thing I dislike the most is the busted seam honestly. Just seems like an extraneous detail... At least on leather jackets it's frowned upon and a plain back much cleaner, I think it extends to shirts.

About the back seam.. the selvage detail up the back is to get the entire pattern to fit into a smaller amount of fabric. It's as much of a fussy detail as those seams on your selvedge jeans, same reason why those are there. 

About the back seam.. the selvage detail up the back is to get the entire pattern to fit into a smaller amount of fabric. It's as much of a fussy detail as those seams on your selvedge jeans, same reason why those are there. 

to me, that kind of fussiness is attention to detail, not some extraneous detail for the sake of being unique and different. 

Gotcha. I guess I got lucky that it's practical to have the selvedge and to me it looks way better than an overlock seam at that particular place!

to me, that kind of fussiness is attention to detail, not some extraneous detail for the sake of being unique and different. 

I think it's extremely hard to draw the line between attention to detail and adding small things vs simply different for the sake of it. I'd say that selvedge backpockets and selvedge beltloops are also attention to detail, but I don't like it and it seems lame to me. Now, selvedge on the coin pocket? Well sure that's cool, but I couldn't tell you why I feel that's any different or more authentic than selvedge beltloops or tucked in beltloops, or a selvedge fly or any other minute detail that I might think is too much. 

I think a huge headache with these clothes is balancing just the right amount of details without being gimmicky and the right throwback level of authentic efficiency without making me feel like I'm getting ripped off by a $200 shirt.

If a detail adds usability then that's cool, but if it doesn't I have to at least like the look of it... but imo selvedge seam on the back on a chambray is for sure better than the back of a denim shirt since it won't fade and become more visible with wear

Shirt is so sick.

You can be mean if you look this clean

Brand-new:

bUN6YtG.jpg

Post-soak in the nasty nightlight:

wrP79E7.jpg

Ignore the non-Roy denim plz.

Edit: Size M, I'm 6'3"ish 180lbs, 40" chest

Edited by erase

@erase - you're 6'3 and that's a medium??? IMO overall fit is good, especially length, but I think it's a tad narrow in the shoulders post-soak. 

I was considering the XL (as there are no L left now), but I'm 5'11, 185 +/-, 42 chest and I think it would be too big for me. Maybe if I hot washed it and dried it... 

My other Roy shirt (chambray) is also a M and a lot smaller, but I rock the shit out of it.  I think I prefer a tiny shirt on my gangly body over lots of extra fabric through the back or body.  To each their own!  

Sleeve length is always a problem for me, and shoulders often.

I'm excited to give this new guy my love, always stoked on a new piece of Roy.

(My big bro denim shirt is a L, though)

Edit: Damn, two front pages in a row. Still feeling rude without a photo here...so here is some roping on my SF01, some cuff wear in the foreground and some combs in the back.  Slow fades...wish I could get the color more accurate but it's closer than it was...5x7ISBM.jpg

Edited by erase

guys i need help. my KS1002 in size 30 been unsoaked until now. problem is i tried them on yesterday and the rise came up to my navel and the waist is about 2 inches too big. how much would they shrink after hot soak? can i expect the rise to drop by an inch and the waist 2 inches?

Edited by DhaDha

DhaDha throw some fit pictures up and we'll all have a look see after they hit water.

I'll add some pictures to this thread. Roy has some dedicated wearers but this thread needs updates and pictures - I'm definitely guiltily of this myself!

• 4 weeks later...

Roy's "Foreman Pants" are coming in three weeks, made of Cone's fiber-dyed cotton duck.  All new branding and details, and from what i've seen it's going to be a really good one.

dkatz, i believe those may be the best worn in Roy jeans i've seen yet.

Edited by kiya

Kiya could you let us in more on the detail? what's the styling like? classic 5 pockets jeans? i've been waiting for a pair of Roy duck since last drop i missed. serious copping this time if they are 5 pocket or chino-style. 

Edited by DhaDha

Kiya could you let us in more on the detail? what's the styling like? classic 5 pockets jeans? i've been waiting for a pair of Roy duck since last drop i missed. serious copping this time if they are 5 pocket or chino-style. 

I'm in the middle of the desert in Mexico, so i haven't seen this jean/pant.  I've spoken to Roy about it multiple times and it seems like a true work-pant made of Cone's fiber-dyed duck fabric.  I believe it'll be a straight leg fit.  The branding looks great, and the stitching details are beautiful because it's Roy making a true work pant.

• 2 weeks later...

fiber-dyed duck... that means the same fabric as the last "All Duck" jeans?

It's the same base fabric but this version is a deadstock sanforized version.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been wearing my Roy RT1002 for about a month while the weather has been warm. Getting as much wear in on them as I can before it gets cold and I start wearing heavy-weight denim for the winter. Several walks/hikes, some yard work, chores, etc. This is fairly tough denim, slow to fade, but not true work-wear tough stuff. It's got a soft hand, very hairy still. Soft drape, not rigid at all, yet still has distinct whiskers and combs forming. The cut & fit is great. Getting another wash right now as I type this. I really, really like theses jeans! 

RT1002_10-01-15_1_zpsq2meso9f.jpg

RT1002_10-01-15_2_zpsyulri13e.jpg

RT1002_10-01-15_3_zpsohc4ep36.jpg

RT1002_10-01-15_4_zps6zyrhd18.jpg

RT1002_10-01-15_5_zpsykukvlkc.jpg

RT1002_10-01-15_6_zpshjvhjcwb.jpg

RT1002_10-01-15_7_zpszql1zcqa.jpg

RT1002_10-01-15_8_zpsztpddztc.jpg

RT1002_10-01-15_9_zpsm8y1pwto.jpg