Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

• 2 weeks later...

best ROY's I have seen thus far Quoise

Agreed, if the photos have not been edited then these definitely are the best i've seen yet.

I tried on size 34 and 36 Big Bros, as well as Kinda Special 1002's in the same sizes (I already own a 34).

As you would guess from the measurements, the Big Bro has a lower rise -- it sits right on the top of the hips or waist, while the Kinda Special's rise is higher.  In part because of the higher rise, the the Kinda Special has a very long and straight looking top block -- the line of the jeans is pretty vertical from the waist down through the hips.  The Big Bro has not only a lower rise but is also a little trimmer through the hips.  If you've tried on or own the Kinda Special in, say, size 32, I might go 33 in the Bro.

Edited by JohnM

I tried on size 34 and 36 Big Bros, as well as Kinda Special 1002's in the same sizes (I already own a 34).

As you would guess from the measurements, the Big Bro has a lower rise -- it sits right on the top of the hips or waist, while the Kinda Special's rise is higher.  In part because of the higher rise, the the Kinda Special has a very long and straight looking top block -- the line of the jeans is pretty vertical from the waist down through the hips.  The Big Bro has not only a lower rise but is also a little trimmer through the hips.  If you've tried on or own the Kinda Special in, say, size 32, I might go 33 in the Bro.

Hmmm I ordered a pair...but this has me worried.  I guess in reality the rise is still higher than pretty much everything else out there.  So even if they're slimmer than the KS in the top block hopefully they'll be roomy enough.  They shouldn't be too hard to move if they don't work...

Edited by tylernim

Hmmm I ordered a pair...but this has me worried.  I guess in reality the rise is still higher than pretty much everything else out there.  So even if they're slimmer than the KS in the top block hopefully they'll be roomy enough.  They shouldn't be too hard to move if they don't work...

I think they'll be fine tylernim -- let us know.  The Big Bro rise is still pretty high and the top block has room.  It's just a slightly trimmer fit than the Kinda Special, which is the highest rise pair I own.

I think they'll be fine tylernim -- let us know.  The Big Bro rise is still pretty high and the top block has room.  It's just a slightly trimmer fit than the Kinda Special, which is the highest rise pair I own.

Well they're in the washer right now.  Guess they'll be dry tomorrow.  Will update.

Big Bro Round 2

Pre soak measurements (BiG Style) size 36:

• Waist - 38"
  • Thigh - 14.25"
  • Knee - 9.75"
  • Opening - 8.75"
  • Rise - 12.5"
  • Inseam - 38.25"

Post soak measurements:

• Waist - 36.7"
  • Thigh - 13.75"
  • Knee - 9.25"
  • Opening - 8.5"
  • Rise - 12"
  • Inseam - 34.5"

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/3ViO5

You can see I got a decent amount of leg twist on one leg. I probably won't be cuffing these because the inseam is really too short for me too do that it looks like? Opinions? I'm kinda disappointed because I was really digging this selvedge line. They're cuffed here to show leg twist and inseam shrinkage.

They're extremely comfortable and obviously very well made. I skipped out on all the Roy signature finishes because you've all seen them before.  The expose rivets are nicely rounded and shouldn't cause any problems.

This is my first unsanforized pair. I don't know that I'll ever go back as it was much easier and less troublesome than I assumed.

Questions, comments, concerns are welcome!

Edited by tylernim

Ugh I own too many Roys but it was hard not to buy these.
(edit: ugh as in those look awesome and I want them in my closet/on my body)

Fit looks great post-soak and will probably get better with each wash.

Re: Cuffing, I tend to think in a similar vein and have super long legs - the inseam is perfect for non-cuffed, but when rocking sneakers or some awesome socks I will cuff them and get sock and selvedge, so mine aren't exclusively cuffed or non-cuffed.

Edited by erase

For your first unsfanforised I'd say you made out pretty well mate! Great album. I think they look pretty good with that single 1" cuff with your Nikes.

Depending on whether you soaked them or machine washed for the initial shrinkage, there's possibly a bit more with further washing. I'd suggest wearing them a while until they stretch out before any further wash down the line. 

Nice one, you're the first to post!

I've got some olive NB 998s coming from Need Supply...got them for a great deal.  I'm hoping to where them when I'm not wearing by Vibergs or Quoddy.  I'll have to experiment with the cuff for sure.

Ugh I own too many Roys but it was hard not to buy these.

(edit: ugh as in those look awesome and I want them in my closet/on my body)

Fit looks great post-soak and will probably get better with each wash.

Re: Cuffing, I tend to think in a similar vein and have super long legs - the inseam is perfect for non-cuffed, but when rocking sneakers or some awesome socks I will cuff them and get sock and selvedge, so mine aren't exclusively cuffed or non-cuffed.

They were machine washed on cold/cold with no spin cycle.  I will be washing them on cold/cold in the machine from here on out when they need it.  Hopefully the fit will stay pretty consistent to this.  Of course we'll see what happens with the stretching.

Interesting...we shall see.  If that's the case they may be up for adoption after a wash or 2!

While I don't disagree that they shrink each wash - I find that they generally shrink back to about where they were after the first soak each time.  So you wear ~30-60 times, they stretch out and get super comfy, then you wash them and they come in a bit snugger and fit even better, then repeat.  

I doubt you'll find them smaller than after that first soak, it's more of a stretch-shrink cycle so when they finally settle they're just perfect for your body.

But all of this is conjecture since this is a never before used denim.

I fall back in love with my Roy's each wash.  Here are my RS04s last time I washed them:

10860110_1746058085618866_1086881813_n.j

Posted · Hidden by ordo, January 31, 2015 - Roy requested the post be removed to protect his personal life.
Hidden by ordo, January 31, 2015 - Roy requested the post be removed to protect his personal life.

Ran into this guy the other night and we ended up talking denim in the wine section at Whole Foods for 30 minutes.  This is the second time I have bumped into him, but the first time I got to have a proper chat and considering a 35 year old approached him at a grocery store at 9pm he was super cool and an all around decent fellow.  I was struggling with my phone, thus me looking like im trying to be tough or trying to ignore a shart

470178BD-1C06-40C5-8E7E-460FF221F339_zps

Posted · Hidden by ordo, January 31, 2015 - Roy requested the post be removed to protect his personal life.
Hidden by ordo, January 31, 2015 - Roy requested the post be removed to protect his personal life.

You gotta be tough to ignore a shart

• 2 weeks later...