Ande Whall Denim

iloveredstripe

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful stuff. Just thought I'd share an update from Ande. He sounded like things were starting to pick up a bit. Still not quite fast, but better than before. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing this.

So far, he's managed to get a small amount of Quake recovery funding via the government, and is looking for a new place. He's also got some machines lined up to buy, so he'll be pretty busy in the next couple of months. Demolition has begun around the old workshop, but he's hopeful he can get into there to salvage some gear (and the rolls of competition denim!). However, (surprise) organization is still a mess around there.

So all in all, still a slow and steady progression toward recovery, but Ande's gettin' there. I thought it was encouraging to hear he got at least SOME compensation (though I'm sure not much), and machines lined up to buy. I can't fathom trying to start over after a natural disaster. Best of (continued) luck to everyone in Christchurch.

Beautiful deluxe model there Domu. And sweet jesus, neitenhosen, I didn't think anyone could be wearing their Jackknife more than me, but you obviously are. Amazing evo!

Good to hear Ande's moving forward, even if slowly. Looking forward to recieving another brown paper package from NZ.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys! It's been a while, didn't want to post until there was some positive news. I managed to get some government earthquake funding for small businesses, it was hard work with lots of meetings with people etc, but so glad I qualified! I want to thank all who donated as well, so grateful. A large chunk of donations went into buying replacement hardware! Anyway I will shed some more light on the rebuild in a bit.

De-evolution of old workshop. The old loft space was pulled down a few weeks ago, so these are the last images of that whole saga. I talked to so many agencies and even demo companies about getting access to get some gear out, and that contest denim...but no go, red tape nightmare. We had a couple of big snow falls, one demo guy said,"oh the one with all the sewing machines, yeah was up there last week...covered in snow they were". Anyway, it's better knowing that it's all gone once and for all instead of these people giving out false hope of getting stuff out.

This is the front of the workshop, far left.

workshop1.jpg

workshop2.jpg

These three are the back of the workshop, half the block is gone down here now.

workshop3.jpg

workshop4p.jpg

workshop5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi denimheads. Hope everyone is good. Things are picking up, especially with the Rugby. The All Blacks are in the world cup final against France next weekend. YES hopefully the 24 year losing streak will end.

On the denim front, the workshop is nearly operational. Waiting on new labels and one stubborn Singer bar tacker to be fixed and a few other bits and pieces. The Singer is funny old thing, it has a fibreglass cam which has a few worn chunks in it. The fibreglass cam was to reduce noise and was state of the art when released.

A few people have suggested getting the contest going again, which is a good idea, so was thinking of using the one roll of denim I have as a kind of re-launch with a smaller contest. A 50m roll can make approx 18-20 pairs depending on inseams, so maybe work on 18 pairs with a chance for a couple extras as cutting proceeds. Tell me what you guys think?

All new patterns have been cut and tested. I have streamlined the fits to the four most popular. Cougar boot, Slacker and Sailor have had the chop. The names have been changed also, so there is no confusion between old and new going ahead.

Cobra - Super Slim Fit - very similar to Raker

Mustang - Slim Fit - very similar to Grifter

Caribou - Regular Fit - very similar to Cougar

Buffalo - Loose Fit - very similar to Miner

Next pattern making job is to re-cut jackets and shirts. The shirt patterns were nearly ready to go before the Q which is a hassle.

That is absolutely awesome news Ande!! Congratulations. A contest...sounds exciting. My wife would say I need another pair of jeans like I need a hole in my head, but I am intrigued! Especially a first pair after your recovery. Like a Phoenix Ande, like a fucking Phoenix!!! Kick ASS!!! I'm so glad to hear your back on your feet.