home-made jeans

rodeo bill

that's impressive! im scared thinking about adding a cinch to my on tenders. anyone think that's a bad/ good idea? it would be in hickory since that's the only thing that i have (3 yards'll do it). thoughts?

me or him? if it's me, then i'm learning. i most likely shouldnt fuck with it. i will test it out on other pants first for sure, but good call.

when did you learn how to sew?

If you mean me, I have been sewing for like the last year or so.

I bought a machine, some scrap fabrics, and just started putting little things together. Like I started with a little bag, then progressively got more complicated with the projects. Read the manual on your machine and get it going. It's not too complicated to sew. thread the needle and adjust the tension, then get rolling. For construction with denim you really need a decent sewing machine, though. I bought an old singer 15-91 (late 40s I believe), which is gear driven rather than belt driven, although, you can find some very strong belt driven machines out there.

Do it brotha!!!

Maybe we should all start a little online knitting circle and we can gossip and shit. Oh wait, that's what SUFU is.

Thanks for the compliment. I have not tried a pair of jeans yet. For me there are way too many nice jeans that are better crafted than i could do, so I don't really feel like trying. I don't think I would wear them. The shirt and vest that I have made get decent rotation so far, but a pair of jeans would just sit in my closet. I already have nice jeans that collect dust in my closet. I don't need anymore.

I would like to make some denim trousers though. I don't think there are enough denim trousers being made. Levis 'Made and Crafted" has a nice pair that I would like to copy.

As i said i got my denim and sewing machine ready so here are some pics before i get started, i think im going to make a draw string bag maybe a laptop case because i need one. both seem very easy to get some practice

the machine

2eav69u.jpg

the denim, Kaihara E-2008 13.5-14 oz non selvage but 60' width, i have 3 yards, I am using some as patches and the fading looks pretty good, so we'll see in time

34oviub.jpg

I have been making some pants recently. I'm not too satisfied with them, so I won't be posting pics just yet. Sorry.

Everything I have made until now, have been made with thrifted materials from thread to zippers (I have tons of Riri zippers, if somebody needs some for a good project), but I'm feeling more and more confident with the machine, so I want to make myself a pair of selvage jeans.

Is there a good source for selvage denim in Europe or UK?

If not someone here should proxy some Cone denim from Premium Denim Outlet.

I was also wondering where I could get some Laurel leaf donut buttons?

Nietenhosen: How the hell do you flatten your rivets like that? Please post some pics or even better a movie :-) They look stunning.

I could proxy you the denim because i think i may be making an order soon.

even if your jeans dont look good id love to see pics because im trying to make a pair. How did you make your pattern?

That would be great. Let me know, if you order from them.

I took some baking paper actually (very DIY) and put it on top of the jeans, that I wanted to take the pattern from. And then I drew the outline of all seams. Then I added around 1/2" to make room for stitches. That probably wasn't enough and I should probably have taken an old pair apart - like many here suggest.

Where do you get your Riri zippers from? I need some for the bags I make.

I scour thrift shops/flea markets and I always find some. Mostly in the 12-22 cm range, but I do have some 70 cm.

for a couple of years I lived where the Danish textile industry used to be, so that might have helped too. I don't know though, as I seem to find them everywhere.

Simon: I had the same problem looking for buttons for a pair I haven't got round to finishing. The best I could find are these

http://www.citronjeans.com/j_1/order.html

They're fairly expensive when you factor in postage but I couldn't find anything else as good. Could you (or anyone EU based) let me know if you're ordering as I want some rivets and could save on postage.

That would be great. Let me know, if you order from them.

I took some baking paper actually (very DIY) and put it on top of the jeans, that I wanted to take the pattern from. And then I drew the outline of all seams. Then I added around 1/2" to make room for stitches. That probably wasn't enough and I should probably have taken an old pair apart - like many here suggest.

I am right now taking apart a pair of jeans that are too short for me, it is taking forever because i am using my seem ripper. I will update when i finish.

Here's this for copying a shirt you like. This is what I did for the vest I made. May work from pants too, although, fly and front pockets may be hard.

Does anyone have any links to information about the properties of the woven denim that are suitable for jeans?

I am planning an ambitious project to dye and weave my own indigo cotton to make the fabric from which to cut a pattern for jeans.

I'm just starting the research now but I thought I'd ask here first some this forum is full of useful people and information.

Any information will be helpful. I'll be sure to post photos once the project gets underway. Thanks!

edit: found the answers to my questions - I'm in contact with Cone Denim and they have been tremendously helpful in my research. I plan on purchasing the cotton and weaving some samples within the next month. Indigo dyeing to come in early April.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any links to information about the properties of the woven denim that are suitable for jeans?

I am planning an ambitious project to dye and weave my own indigo cotton to make the fabric from which to cut a pattern for jeans.

I'm just starting the research now but I thought I'd ask here first some this forum is full of useful people and information.

Any information will be helpful. I'll be sure to post photos once the project gets underway. Thanks!

edit: found the answers to my questions - I'm in contact with Cone Denim and they have been tremendously helpful in my research. I plan on purchasing the cotton and weaving some samples within the next month. Indigo dyeing to come in early April.

thats awesome!!what type of loom will you be using?

thats awesome!!what type of loom will you be using?

We have various sizes of wooden shuttle looms (4, 8, and 12 harness) here in the department at school.

Here are the steps I have outlined so far:

-Rope dye cotton yarn in natural indigo vat 20-30 times, drying inbetween

-Post-dye sulfur soak & starch

-Set up loom for Right-hand (undecided: 2-1 or 3-1) twill, decide on color selvage (natural dye)

-Weave & weigh samples to determine denim weight, loom strength test to find maximum beating pressure for densest weave

-Calculate and weave yardage for 2 jeans with plenty extra

-Deconstruct, trace, and modify pattern from Levi's 511(?)

-Sew practice jean in cheap denim

-Cut pattern pieces

-Determine design elements, colored thread, pocket stitching, leather patch

-Construct handmade jeans.

Package from Cone denim should be coming any day.

If anyone's interested, I will be keeping a blog to visually document the research and progress (excuse me in advance for any factual discrepancies, I am certainly not yet the denim expert like many of you on here, corrections are appreciated):

http://hoboventures.blogspot.com/p/denimquest.html

• 3 weeks later...

my new pair of bespoke made jeans; (crossposted from superfashion)

drafted, designed and constructed by me; dior's 19cm inspired fit

13oz, indigo- overdye black kaihara denim - with black top stitching

36" inseam - hem left unhemmed.

inner thigh dart from center crotch point to knee (RO inspired)

button fly front

img0007.jpg

img0008ka.jpg

img0011us.jpg

img0012a.jpg

img0013jjv.jpg

img0014qd.jpg

img0015na.jpg

img0016mt.jpg