home-made jeans

rodeo bill

Looks good man. That's great for a first try. Are you pleased with them? I have noticed that some of my creations look "decent" but I am not willing to wear them.

Looks good man. That's great for a first try. Are you pleased with them? I have noticed that some of my creations look "decent" but I am not willing to wear them.

yeah I plan on wearing them. Im hoping that after I iron out the outseams and Soak them that they will shrink up a bit. The true test will be after a few weeks breaking them in.

Overall im pleased. I could deal with a Higher rise and longer inseam as the hem is as close as it could be. Also Id sew the pocket liners different. The front Crotch sewing isnt that hot but thats because my machine was not built for this sort of thing. I feel another pair would be way easier and come out much better. I might Shred up a pair of 505's to use as a template next time, Maybe make slight modifications. Ill update with some wear. About to soak them.

EDIT

Thanks for the comment and rep.

What kind of sewing machine are you running?

I was using my girlfriends Cheap Brother Cs6000. She has a few machines. For the next project Im going to get the pattern all set then Go to her work on an off day and use their industrial machines which I am confident will make like much easier.

Didn't know where to post this creation, so it goes here.

x-post from work shirts as well

Tried my hand at sewing a work shirt. Doing a flatfelled seam on the body/arm seam is a bitch. I cut the pattern too large so I will not be wearing this. I think a co worker of mine is going to get it. Anyways, my first try at a shirt. Scored some mediocre chambray off of ebay for like 4.99 a yard.

frontef.jpg

"Placket" It is actually a fake placket.

centerline.jpg

Tried my hand at gussets.

gusset.jpg

Cigarette Pocket.

leftpocket.jpg

Utility Pocket

rightpocket.jpg

The whole thing. As you can see the shirt (shit) came out too wide. I don't know what I was thinking, but I cutout the medium pattern. I knew it was too big when I cut it out. Oh well.

frontwhole.jpg

I also should mention that Id never used Premium Denim outlet before and today I went to the showroom In Downtown LA and had a great experience. They had about 12 selvage cone denim products in different weights to choose from, as well as some Raw Kaihara selvage black denim and one other Japanese selvage offering, They also had 2 other US mills that I cant recall the names of. They also had a bunch of nice non selvage Cone and kaihara products to show.

I dont know what the online pricing / shipping policy is but In store It was 15$ for 4 yards Of Cone Blue line. 12.75 oz which is an insane deal IMO. To make my jeans It was 30$ Plus shipping for Cone redline.

• 2 weeks later...
I took an Off the shelf Burda Jeans pattern and then Basically modified it completely to fit how I wanted, and to make the crotch work which took forever because the pattern was pretty shitty IMO in the crotch.

Is this the pattern you used?

http://www.burdafashion.com/en/Patterns/Main_Collection/7733_Pants_trousers/1270778-1128998-1003846-1650999.html

• 2 weeks later...
You really don't want to use those patterns, they suck and they're confusing. Thrift some jeans and cut them up, with a seam ripper if you have the patience.

That is the pattern and I totally agree with ra here.

Just find some thrift jeans that fit. That is what Im doing now For some friends pants so I can get more practice in and it goes much better. Do use the seam ripper. And make sure That when You make your new pattern you Check all the seam allowances. I've noticed that seam to seam on Professional jeans, You get Different seam allowances all around. Making a muslin sample helped a lot also. The crotch on those Burdas was a huge bitch as I mentioned before and a pair of levis is a lot more straightforward and Easy to sew IMO.

Good luck! Thanks for rep.

Hopefully more pics soon from me. Working on a type 3 jacket.

Also, Since I just bumped it, What do you guys use to set your rivets? One of those little metal tubes and a mallet like with leather? The lady at the place I got my rivets from said she just hammers them in and even with like 4-5 layers of denim in between it still was way too long and the rivet just looked like shit.

Rivet gun? HELP

Edit so I dont take up another post. Got one of these for 25$. Sews like a dream. Just needed some oil and to make a new base.

99k-1.jpg

To get the right lengths on rivets I usually cut the rivet to length using wire cutters of some sort. To set them I smack them with a hammer and they usually end up flat, but I kinda like the flat rivet look.

BTW nice looking machine. Is that a singer featherweight? Does it have an all metal drive mechanism or does it use a belt?

Thanks for the rivet tip. Ill try it out with some spares later tonight.

Its a singer 99. Its just a "Portable" (still like 45 lbs) Version of the singer 66. I heard lots of good things about it so for 30 Bucks I did not pass it up. It went through Like 6 layers of 13oz denim like nothing.

I was surfing through the e-worker's site and a lot of times when a garment is produced Takashi (the owner) will post some notes with pics on how they were made. He are his instructions for "painter's" style pants.

http://www.e-workers.net/store/33/p2.htm

• 1 month later...

after a closer look at all my jeans a few weeks ago, i decided to create my own pair of denim pants.

not easy to collect all the things you need to put together a wearable one. all the stuff you can buy at the shops are kind of shit, so i made rivets an buttons on my own using simple things like copper nails and horn.

but first of all i took my girl-friends sewing machine, buy some cheap denim fabric and make a few samples.

not easy to find the right cut... yesterday it was done.

the material:

4579386956_14331da891.jpg

the cone denim (13oz):

4578758415_871cb27687.jpg

the fly with horn buttons:

4579377094_9f67f3b593.jpg

backpockets:

4578747625_d4620d1160.jpg

a rivet:

4579379280_ce9592f00f.jpg

front:

4579369106_82b5654da1.jpg

back:

4579368212_1f62be7fb2.jpg

fit and details later...

Yeah, this shit is pretty nuts. You claim it is cheap denim, but that shit looks pretty nice.

hell, i'd PAY you well to make a pair of jeans for me...definitely not your first trip around a sewing machine. the silhouette is fantastic, details are sick, and the character of the denim is really great.