Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

by the way, when i was at blue in green the other day, gordon had a prototype of sugar cane's first all-hand-made denim. the denim was hand-woven and very soft. incredibly comfortable. definitely not your traditional 5-pocket jeans. details were all unique, including metal fly buttons i wish we photographed.

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

F**K!!!!! Those jeans look teh sex!!! Everything except those outside front pockets (but I can live with those). Light blue arcuate, and the indigo on the denim looks so dark and rich. Man, when are these coming out!!! I was wondering what SCs new model was going to be after those Union Stars. :eek:

Lets see. It's all hand-made, but the dyeing looks too uniform for natural (unless they're going with the same dying technique that Sam used for their Ai-N), and the denim looks too smooth to be 50% sugar millet. Don't know about any of the finer details. Does it have pocket lining front and back? If the denim is woven in-house... and SC is definitely eyeing Samurai as their main competition. SC make their 47 for about 14000JPY, Okis for about 17000JPY and natural indigos for about 32000JPY. They would be considering a middle cost jean between the Oki and Natural indigo flagships. I'd say SC would be selling these around 25000JPY, around the same price as a standard Samurai model jean. No guesses on what SC will get their international distributors to charge. From what I've seen of SCs prices on their standard line-up, their next logical step is to have a pair of jeans in the general price vicinity of Samurai, Warehouse, Fullcount etc... which is mid-20,000JPY. It wouldn't make sense for them to release a jean that costs as much as their natural indigo flagships, but it would have to be a lot better than their well-selling Union special to gather interest in paying that much for a pair of SCs since most of their line-up is under 20000JPY (these jeans definitely look a step above their vege dyed oki range).

i guess the photos i quickly took aren't doing it justice. the denim feels completely different from what i'm used to. you can definitely tell it's hand-made. almost feels like it's in the realm of kimonos. and there are so many details that are out there. hem is not a tradtional chainstitch either, so you actually have to buy the denim at the correct length too because it's so involved to change it.

i'll give you a hint: the first price range i heard is slightly more than jomons.

(wait, that's pretty much the answer.)

definitely not for everyone.

panda-san, i have the black sugar cane belt... would the oil help?

I would think so. I've had the belt for a few months now, and it'd had started to get a bit dry, and was cracking a tiny bit where bends around the hips. The oil should help prevent that. This particular mink oil is also said to waterproof the leather, which was important to me as well, since I already had a few water spots.

The little tin was only $3 at my local western store. I tested a tiny bit on the little bit of leather behind the buckle, so it it turned it a weird color, it wouldn't be outwardly visible. I recommend doing the same.

wow.. I'm sort of loving the visible front pockets. i wonder how the whiskers will form and fade! and thanks meat grinder, i like to think so ;)

These won't really fade much or easily, the weft is also indigo..

Here's some info (rep bait)..

SC40600 is the model number..

American retail will be somewhere around $600

12-oz. Hand-Woven Denim on old wooden hand looms (Not by Power Shuttle Looms)

Dyed with 100% pure Okinawa Indigo by HAND

Warp is dark Indigo, Weft is light Indigo (Not the typical natural color normally employed)

Sewn with only vintage single-needle sewing machines

Copper buttons

Old-style Work Pants with cinch-back construction

Traditional hand-stitched Japanese design on rear pocket

Choose the length you want for any waist size, from 30", 32" and 34" length

Does it have pocket lining front and back? If the denim is woven in-house... and SC is definitely eyeing Samurai as their main competition.....

I thought that Sugarcane/Toyo was a MUCH bigger company than Samurai, isn't it? I always got the impression that even in Japan, Samurai was a pretty small company, and Toyo was up near the top with Denime and uh....SDA, maybe?

Toyo is a far bigger company that anybody can even begin to imagine..

Here's some info (rep bait)..

SC40600 is the model number..

American retail will be somewhere around $600

12-oz. Hand-Woven Denim on old wooden hand looms (Not by Power Shuttle Looms)

Dyed with 100% pure Okinawa Indigo by HAND

Warp is dark Indigo, Weft is light Indigo (Not the typical natural color normally employed)

Sewn with only vintage single-needle sewing machines

Copper buttons

Old-style Work Pants with cinch-back construction

Traditional hand-stitched Japanese design on rear pocket

Choose the length you want for any waist size, from 30", 32" and 34" length

ahh, thanks kiya. there were so many unorthodox details on these i couldn't digest half of them during my quick visit at BiG.

Toyo is a far bigger company that anybody can even begin to imagine..

They have the force?

I think Toyo owns Buzz Rickson as well, that means that they make all those repro leather jackets.

The question I want to ask is, when is the storm going to hit? What I mean is, Samurai have released a new model jean every two months or so (more recently than earlier this year). It seems to me, they are constantly moving forward. If Toyo is as huge as you say they are, where is their new model range? If this new SC40600 is the direction that SC is going post Levis lawsuit, where is the slew of new models that are going to come out? The last model they released was the Union Special and that was a while ago. I have a feeling it's soon.

Well, if Self Edge is doing their collab in November, I figure (hope?) that it'd be around the same timeframe-I could just be wildly making shit up here, but I think Kiya said the Self EdgeXSC was supposed to go hand-in-hand with the new cuts that Sugarcane was coming up with.

Oh yeah...Buzz Rickson. Forgot about them, the "Neal Stephenson" brand.