The Strike Gold

TokenIndianKid

I decided that I wanted to keep my SG2109s but I wanted to try them as shorts (jorts?) BEFORE they were faded and destroyed. Reason is, is because the knee tends to be the highest fade area and now that these are just above the knees, I should get a completely different fade. California is starting to get hot now so these have been seeing some wear... Shorts were hemmed at SE.

14250450542_d20be06a21_o.jpg

14229484606_9ea201e787_o.jpg

14065979809_b06e4bd7d6_o.jpg

I decided that I wanted to keep my SG2109s but I wanted to try them as shorts (jorts?) BEFORE they were faded and destroyed. Reason is, is because the knee tends to be the highest fade area and now that these are just above the knees, I should get a completely different fade. California is starting to get hot now so these have been seeing some wear... Shorts were hemmed at SE.

14250450542_d20be06a21_o.jpg

14229484606_9ea201e787_o.jpg

14065979809_b06e4bd7d6_o.jpg

Man, that takes balls! Give 'em hell, though, I'd be interested to see how they come out. I hope you got to keep all the extra fabric, though. That would make a sweet patching material.

Big fan of this.  I just copped new stevenson's and although I'm currently starting them off at a knicker length…unless that ends up being exactly what I want, they'll end up being full on shorts before too long.  That pair should age really well with some solid wear this summer.  Interested to see the different ways that jeans cut to shorts from the get go age and evolve.

Big fan of this.  I just copped new stevenson's and although I'm currently starting them off at a knicker length…unless that ends up being exactly what I want, they'll end up being full on shorts before too long.  That pair should age really well with some solid wear this summer.  Interested to see the different ways that jeans cut to shorts from the get go age and evolve.

Exactly my thoughts, thus why I gave it ago.

Jean shorts always seem to stir up negativity on this forum.  I'm unsure of why? Bad karma to cut up jeans maybe?

I mean…I get it.  People think of it as taking something desirable, expensive, and with a lot of potential to be a "grail" some day, and turning it into something with limited utility.  I totally understand that, but if you look at it from the "I need shorts, what is my best option" it's a lot different.  To me it also makes sense if you already own a jean, and for whatever reason, it's not going to get heavy use as a jean, but it would be a primary pair of shorts for you, then it makes sense to go for it.  I think shorts cut from potentially awesome jeans are way better than potentially awesome jeans sitting in the back of somebody's closet.  

I think it's because jean shorts don't make a huge amount of sense... If it's hot enough to be wearing shorts, you should probably go for linen or something. Also messing with a pair of jeans that could've looked super super good and is way more versatile than jean shorts.

I think it's because jean shorts don't make a huge amount of sense... If it's hot enough to be wearing shorts, you should probably go for linen or something. Also messing with a pair of jeans that could've looked super super good and is way more versatile than jean shorts.

Seriously. Only people I see wearing jorts are people trying to be "funny"

I don't disagree with this in principal.  I'm all about optimizing materials.  That said though…there are a lot of things that I like doing in hot weather that it's nice to still have the versatility of denim/jeans (tough, hides stains well, 5-pocket layout).  Maybe I should evolve and stop using my pants as napkins, but I'm not optimistic on that development.

you are one brave man!

Epic shit right there! When did you do the wash?

Thanks! It was in March when I was on spring break.

Awesome, great color and contrast on those laxlife.  As I suspected, it's very similar to the PBJ left-hand twill gray weft denim. 

The damage to the left pocket makes a good argument for not putting your phone in a front pocket, though.

Thanks. I can't say I'm a fan of phone fades in front pockets either. I just find that the most comfortable to do.

Very nice laxlife. I like those a lot.

Good observation Cold Summer, the 14oz SDA left hand twill has a grey weft too.

Thanks Maynard!

I must say I really like the colour on both 21xx/31xx series. well done!

I would love to see my 2105s as faded as these, however I think that the denim in the 2xxx series may be more stubborn and less resistant to fading than the 3xxx series.

Post 3rd wash:

SG2105 size 30 

12-16 months of wear

Well done! I don't mean to call you out in anyway either, but are those really 2105s? I ask because the weft doesn't look very brown/gold like it does on my pair, but mine aren't nearly as faded as yours either.

Maybe BigSugar made a typo, that looks more like the 1105 based on the color of the denim.  Either way, awesome-looking pair.

Right you are sir! Edited the post....Thank you. Really like this denim, although I wish the honeycombs creases would 'set' more after washes. But thats just how this type of denim goes....

are those black?

they def don't have turned a bit greycast over time, more so than a lot of the 11xx denim I see posted...but still just indigo. Not sure why they aren't as blue as others I see, seeing all I really do is ride my bike to work and back. Maybe its all the car exhaust :P

I love the slubby strike gold denim, and if they ever make it in black I'm out another 300....Super cool how yodah's pair turned out so industrial grundgy...my pair looks like a goddam smurf next to those...

• 2 weeks later...