japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Shows in Japan are fucking expensive. When you pay that much you also assume it is for something famous, but I have paid $30+ for shows with about ten people in attendance. It has nothing to do with bands "charging" that much; it's just the way it is. Friends who tour in Japan always comment that they feel like some arena band because of the ticket prices.

The alternative is to just be friends with bands so you can be on the guest list. In that case you typically just have to pay for the "+1 drink" portion of the ticket, putting the cost to enter at about the normal price of a smaller band in the U.S.

Two things that I wish I was in town for..

OUT TO LUNCH!

工藤冬里

2010.03.07.sun

上野水上音楽堂

(上野恩賜公園/野外ステージ)

musician:

渋谷毅 key

向島ゆり子 vln

中尾勘二 sax

関島岳郎 tuba

高橋幾郎 per

open13:30/start14:30

adv2000yen/day2500yen

※雨天決行

[all-star lineup of Kudo of Maher Shalal Hash Baz; Shibuya, the great jazz pianist of the departed Asakawa Maki's band; Yuriko mainly known for work in underground bands of the 80s like Che-Shizu and Pungo; Nishimura of Fushitsusha, Che-Shizu, etc; Sekijima of countless free/avant jazz and chindon bands; Takahashi of LSD-March, Kosokuya, etc etc etc]

and

2010小石川フリーコンサートvol.1 & 2

東アジアの音楽

「韓国No.1 アシッド・フォーク歌手

キム・ドゥスさんを迎えて」

出演 キム・ドゥス(歌・ギター)

with レクチャー「韓国音楽の現在」

長谷川陽平(ギタリスト、ex.サヌリム)

vol.1 − 3月6日(土)  作品上映とパフォーマンス 園田佐登志

vol.2 − 3月7日(日)  共演 sans deer

いずれも13時30分開場、14時開演/入場無料 先着80名

場所 文京区立小石川図書館4Fホール

※文京区小石川5-9-20 TEL 03-3814-6745 地下鉄丸の内線「茗荷谷」駅から徒歩5分

現在、「韓国No.1アシッド・フォーク・シンガー」として各方面からその作品が絶賛されているキム・ドゥス(Kim Doo

Soo)は、1959年・大邱(テグ)生まれ。2002年に発表した4thアルバム『自由魂』が、韓国でのレコードイヤーに輝き、「韓国大衆音楽 100大レコード」にも入る。2007年以降たびたび来日、三上寛、斉藤哲夫、友川カズキ、JON(犬)、朝生愛、シェシズ、大友良英等々数多くの日本のミュージシャンと共演を重ねる。現在まで6枚のアルバムを発表している。

小石川図書館・図書館を利用する音楽家の会(図音会)共催

図音会HP:http://www.za.em-net.ne.jp/~toonkai/

協力:ジャパンミュージックサポートアソシエーション(JMSA)

http://www13.ocn.ne.jp/~jmsa/index.htm

【キム・ドゥス Kim Doo Soo】

大学卒業後、音楽活動を開始。

名前は韓国の代表的小説『土地』に登場する悪漢・「キム・ドゥス」からとられている。

1986年、1stアルバム『シオリッキル』発表。自由への渇望を歌った歌詞が当局ににらまれ、迫害、弾圧を受ける。

1991年に3rdアルバム『ボヘミアン』発表。

この後、活動を一切休止し、深い山の中で10年に及ぶ自給自足の隠遁生活に入る。隠遁生活のきっかけとして、『ボヘミアン』を聴いた一人の女性が人生の虚無感を嘆き、自殺してしまった事件があったという。しかし、ある時「私は『ボヘミアン』を聴いて死ぬことを思い留まりました」と書かれた男性からの手紙を受け、音楽活動の再開を決意する。

2002年、11年ぶりの4thアルバム『自由魂』を発表。韓国でのレコードイヤーに輝き、「韓国大衆音楽100大レコード」にも入る。

2006年、アメリカで発売されたアジアン・フォークのオムニバスCDに韓国代表として収録。

2007年、5thアルバム『10 Days Butterfly』を、日本のレーベル・PSF Recordsから発表。

最新アルバムは、『The Evening River』(2009年)。

その繊細で慈しみに満ちた歌の世界は唯一無比。今日、東アジアの地平において最も重要なミュージシャンの一人と言って過言でないだろう。

【長谷川陽平 (レクチャー)】

1971年生まれ、東京都出身。 18歳で本格的にギターを始め、60〜70年代のロックに夢中になり世界中のレコード収集を始める。

1995年、韓国ロックに衝撃を受け、韓国ロックのコピーバンドを結成。日本でバンド活動をする傍ら、ライブ見学やレコード収集のため年に15回以上のペースで日韓を往来する。

1998年、本格的に韓国で活動を始める。

1999年、韓国で念願のCDデビューを果たす。

2005年、国民的人気ロックバンド「サヌリム」にギタリストとして加入。

現在、メジャー・インディーズを問わず様々なバンドからのオファーを受けギタリストとして活動している。

また、他バンドのプロデュースや映画「死生決断」のサウンドトラックを手がけるなど、ギタリスト以外にも活動の幅を広げている。http://onsei-korea.blogspot.com/

【園田佐登志  (6日・作品上映とパフォーマンス)】

ミュージシャン、映像作家。

非正規労働者のユニオンで15年間奮闘後、2008年に活動再開、自作「篠田昌已 act 1987」を引っさげ全国で上映会を開く。その後もマヘル

シャラル ハシュ バズ「腰くだけの犬」(DVD)、「Early Works of Satoshi

Sonoda」(CD)等をリリースし活動の幅を広げている。http://www.myspace.com/discsonor

【sans deer サンズ・ディア  (7日・共演)】

杉本卓也(ギター、バイオリン、うた)により、2006年に始められる。

ライブハウスなどの既成の音楽活動の場に拠らず、毎回その場の特性を活かした演奏、企画を行う。2006年6月には、アメリカのワシントン州オリンピアにおいてthe

12th Annual Olympia Festival of Experimental

Musicに参加、同レーベルでの録音セッションも経験する。2009年6月にはカナダのモントリオールにおいてSuoni Pel Il Popolo Music Festivalに出演。2009年9月にライヴアルバム「Grand

Tour」をリリースする。現在ファースト・アルバムをレコーディング中。 http://www.myspace.com/sansdeer

[free live/lecture with the great Korean folk musician Kim Doo Soo, lecture on Korean music by Hasegawa Yohei; current member of Kim Chang Wan's band and occasional participant of Kawaguchi Masami's New Rock Syndicate, etc etc]

What are some good Japanese luggage brands that I can get a better deal on in Tokyo than in the US? I'm looking for a large carry-on sized suitcase. Something like Rimowa maybe, except I know their Tokyo flagship store is probably twice as expensive than Rimowa in the US.

Any suggestions?

I'm looking to spend no more than $500 USD.

blahblahblah giant wall of text

I'll be making my 3rd trip to Tokyo this summer. At one point I was just like you, in that I was going nuts thinking about all the stuff I was gonna buy. But if there's one thing that I've learned, it's that there is no such thing as having too much money in Tokyo. While it's nice to go around splurging on $200 shoes and $500 pieces of luggage, that money will go a loooong way in buying you meals, drinks, train tickets, accommodations, and fun nightlife. Memories made on travel adventures last much longer than any sneaker or backpack you could buy.

But maybe I'm wrong, perhaps you've got a larger budget than I'm guessing you have. But if you're a student like me, you may want to at least hold off on all those big-ticket purchases until the last few days of your stay in the area.

--------------------------

On a related note, I'm super excited to be going back. I'll be staying in Koenji again (same place as last time) and I'll have had 2 semesters of Japanese classes under my belt. I've been gettin some strong cravings for taiyaki, Isetan basement, and Mr. Donut...

My Tokyo party is killing it right now.

Check it out: http://diamondstokyo.blogspot.com/

Guest list/hookups for all Superfuturians.

db

I'm flying from Chicago to Tokyo this Tuesday (first time in Japan!)

Can I get on the GL?

Also, I've been listening to a lot of Nujabes lately. Any chance I can check him out live while in Japan? (March 10-26)

I Google'd Nujabes tour dates, but nothing showed up. Any parties he a regular at?

Chi any word on places to be this upcoming week?

I'm LAX to NRT on Wednesday.

Can I get on the GL?

Also, I've been listening to a lot of Nujabes lately. Any chance I can check him out live while in Japan? (March 10-26)

I Google'd Nujabes tour dates, but nothing showed up. Any parties he a regular at?

Can I get on the GL?

he died like a month ago homie...

there is some store in koenji near the JR station with a super weird name but everyone knows it. full of 'crazy' stuff and books/magazines. they have a section full of keyrings, key accessories, chains, ropes etc for keys. i'm pretty sure they had alot of stuff similar to that. the leather/wallet section in something like tokyu hands might have something similar too.

Koenji is West Tokyo on the Chuo line. The bookstore mentioned is probably Village Vanguard in the shotendori (PAL) at south exit. Just take south exit, turn right, and you should see it. Village Vanguard is maybe five minutes from the entrance and on the right side.

I have never been impressed by Shimokitazawa. It seems like a bunch of people pretending it is a neighborhood with a much more interesting energy than it really has.

im in love with 麻生久美子 btw

for some reason i just read this and fully agree. sent my girlfriend a picture of her and told her something along the lines of, she's (aso kumiko) cuter than you, hahaha. my gf is always crushin' on odagiri so fair is fair.

oh and if you're in shimokitazawa check out the village vanguard burger place. burgers are on point, and beer selection is the shit. even had anchor steam.

Act Fast: RT NYC to Tokyo, $465 w/taxes Roundtrip fares on April flights

to Tokyo from New York City just dropped to $456 including

taxes. Regular fares on this route are often more than

$1000.

This is an unadvertised fare and could sell out quickly.

Travel midweek in April to get this fare. Nonstop fares in

October, November and December have also just dropped under

$700 roundtrip.

To travel in April, click the link below for Fly.com's Low

Fare Calendar:

http://www.travelzoo.com/newsflash/0-784994/

To travel in the fall, click the link below:

http://www.travelzoo.com/newsflash/0-785020/