japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

herpsky, you know any retail (brick and mortar) places for rehacer? All I've seen been online.

Niji in daikanyama, apparently.

http://navi.zozo.jp/shop/?sid=1182

I've actually never heard of rehacer.

It looks like a sasquatchfabrix knock off with all the tribal patterns

i actually have walked by that store.

it's right next to jin's global standard, between GDC and Tokishiraz.

Across from Frames. Their lunch menu is pretty tight. All you can drink (non-alcoholic) drink bar and good food for 1000 yen.

Act Fast: RT NYC to Tokyo, $465 w/taxes Roundtrip fares on April flights

to Tokyo from New York City just dropped to $456 including

taxes. Regular fares on this route are often more than

$1000.

This is an unadvertised fare and could sell out quickly.

hey thanks herpsky! My vacation plans are for August, so those links weren't immediately useful to me, but they were the catalyst for asking my moms to call up her Japanese travel agent lady. I got a pretty decent fare, $984 roundtrip from JFK. I was expecting on paying $1300 this year... so thanks! :o

I'll be staying in Koenji, same exact place as last summer... I really enjoyed that area. I'm pretty sure I stumbled into Village Vanguard accidentally, without knowing its name. Full of wacky shit with a book/magazine section in the back and a second floor with videos I believe?

Act Fast: RT NYC to Tokyo, $465 w/taxes Roundtrip fares on April flights

to Tokyo from New York City just dropped to $456 including

taxes. Regular fares on this route are often more than

$1000.

This is an unadvertised fare and could sell out quickly.

Travel midweek in April to get this fare. Nonstop fares in

October, November and December have also just dropped under

$700 roundtrip.

To travel in April, click the link below for Fly.com's Low

Fare Calendar:

http://www.travelzoo.com/newsflash/0-784994/

To travel in the fall, click the link below:

http://www.travelzoo.com/newsflash/0-785020/

ugh, I really feel like popping over for a week.

Anyone know a good English speaking hairdresser in Tokyo. Shinjuku, Harajuku area would be best.

Does he / she have to speak good english?

Number Nine Sample Sale 11am to 6pm (5pm on the last day)

May 1 to May 5.

Samples from 2001s/s to 2009a/w

@ ベルサール原宿 東京都渋谷区神宮前 2-34-17

5月1日から5月5日(11時から18時まで 最終日は17時)

場所:ベルサール原宿 東京都渋谷区神宮前 2-34-17

2001S/SのTIME MIGRATIONから、最後となった2009A/WのA COSED FEELINGま

でのサンプルアイテムが販売されます。 興味のある方は落ち着いてお出かけを。

Two years since I was last in Tokyo and going back for Golden Week. Any suggestions on what the current hotspots are? Thinking house/electro. Couldn't see that this had been answered in a while.

Does he / she have to speak good english?

Could you recommend me one of those? That can mange to do western hair. Doesn't have to speak any english.

The last two times I got my hair cut in Tokyo was at Bloc in Shibuya (near Midwest). Lovely space and nice people. The first time it was done by the head guy up on the top floor who (despite my request for simply cleaning me up a bit) "re-imagined" my look based on my occupation(?) and the second time was just a normal cut down on the boring first floor. Both times, though, yielded great results despite very little spoken communication.

i'm fairly sure the odds of there being an english speaking hairdresser are very small. quit being a bitch, and just go get your hair cut. best haircuts i've ever gotten were done in japan and i'm a cracker. just take a picture and tell them "sakippo dake iresasete yo." done deal.

can anyone recommend any good japanese fashion forums or blogs? trying to increase the amount of japanese i read day to day and reading the news is just fucking boring.

Is there a way to export / share the feeds in google reader (I know I can share individual items)?

I can send you my entire Japanese fashion feed if you want.

Is there a way to export / share the feeds in google reader (I know I can share individual items)?

I can send you my entire Japanese fashion feed if you want.

yeah goto your subscriptions scroll to the bottom of your subscriptions, click manage subscriptions, and you can export them to a file to send to people.

There is a hairdresser just minutes from meiji dori / omotesando dori crossing called Dude. Very nice guy. Also, not only does he speak perfect english but he apparently learned the trade in London so he actually prefers to cut westerners (generally) thinner hair instead of thicker japanese hair.

Suzuran Ramen in Shibuya is my fav

Suzuran is good.

I usually look up ramen joints here

http://ramendb.supleks.jp/

Take the info with a grain of salt though.

The most popular / renowned joints right now ALL serve tsuke-men (dipping sauce ramen - I just don't know how else I can describe it).

In addition, the current trend is the use of bonito / seafood as the key ingredient in broth (i actually hate this).

I guess the ranking is pretty biased but if you can read Japanese, it's a pretty decent site.

On the other hand, the joints listed on ramen walker are less biased ie) well received by everyone.

It's not user-rated so it might be better.

http://ramen.walkerplus.com/dendoten/2010/tokyo/

One book I highly recommend is Transit Tokyo Gohan.

It's written by one of the honeyee.com guys for the Transit magazine.

Really legit.

word.

Can you send me that feed herp?

It's mostly streetwear, store inventories, skate / fixed, and etc.

Let me go thru the feed and recompile them into a more readable format. I'll repost the link.

I even saw about half the customers last time @ suzuran eating tsukemen. I guess if it's really warm that makes sense, but it was balls cold and raining, so fuck that I need a huge bowl of broth in my face.

I see Marusuke on the front page of ramen walker -- that place is also awesome and creepily clean. It's behind that building with the starbucks and doutor next to each other on the right as you walk towards isetan on yasukuni dori.

You know you can order "hot" tsukemen, right?

Most places have different noodle temperature (I know it sounds fucking crazy).

I'd say Durumen Ikeda near my house is pretty damn good.

Rokurinsha was a big disappointment...

The average wait at rokurinsha is 1.5 hours.

I sort of understand why the use of "lot system" gets ramen joints super hyped. Basically, they only let a fixed number of customers in. Until everyone is done eating, no new customer gets served. It Super slow traffic.

1) You never go to a restaurant unless you are hungry

2) Wait in line for 1-2 hours.

3) At this point, anything tastes good b/c you are mega-starved

4) Tell your buddy that is was the best ramen ever

5) repeat

With Gurunavi, tabelog, and any other ranking sites, you can't really trust places that have a really crazy number of ratings with 4+ stars.

I just hope this stupid Tsukemen / bonito-flavored broth craze ends soon.

blacows.jpg

http://www.kuroge-wagyu.com/bc/top.html

BLACOWS

2-11-9, Ebisu Nishi, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo

Phone: 03-3477-2914

Hours: 11am-11pm

Cost: 1000yen~3000yen

anybody been to this place? affordable black wagyu beef burgers... personally, I could care less if you're not supposed to grind up such special beef (it supposedly ruins the texture) into hamburger patties. It looks fuckin delicious.

http://www.kuroge-wagyu.com/bc/top.html

BLACOWS

2-11-9, Ebisu Nishi, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo

Phone: 03-3477-2914

Hours: 11am-11pm

Cost: 1000yen~3000yen

anybody been to this place? affordable black wagyu beef burgers... personally, I could care less if you're not supposed to grind up such special beef (it supposedly ruins the texture) into hamburger patties. It looks fuckin delicious.

I haven't been but I'll try it out.

Kiya says that Beacon Restaurant in Shibuya has the best burgers.

Looks like Blacows is run by Yazawa Meat.

They can keep the prices low b/c Yazawa meat is a renowned meat whole-seller and owns a bunch of cow farms.

Their foray into the restaurant business started out as a steak / hamburg restaurant near Gotanda. It's really out of the way though.

People line up like crazy. It's pretty good but it's not insanely good.

An average meal runs you like 3,000 yen.