Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

I have been following this article...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703632304575452082044100428.html#articleTabs%3Darticle

I hang these jeans in the bathroom during a shower & let the steam freshen the up & give them some water without soaking...I am thinking about keeping this up for a year or so to see what happens...what do you guys think?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703632304575452082044100428.html#articleTabs%3Darticle

I hang these jeans in the bathroom during a shower & let the steam freshen the up & give them some water without soaking...I am thinking about keeping this up for a year or so to see what happens...what do you guys think?

thats what I do- just because I take them off in the bathroom anyway. I dont really think it has any noticeable effect. fuck if i know.

Like MAX P said, hanging them outside frequently is a good remedy. But as always, do whatever you feel like... But washing your Momo's won't harm or ruin them, it might even be healthy...

I think it doesn't do anything. I tried this years ago with my first nudie and, as with freezing them, no noticable effect. Best is hanging them outside over night.

i just hang my wet jeans in my bathroom or laundry room. what's with all these "special care" for dry denim? IMO there's no special care needed. wear-wear-wear-soak-wear-wear-wash-hang dry-wear-wear...

Momotaro 0201 size 32

Bought from BiG on Sunday, soaked with hottest tap water for two hours, water changed once at the one hour mark. Note – I got the BiG and SelfEdge thigh measurement techniques mixed up – measured an inch down from the crotch (BiG measures straight from crotch). Knee measured at 13†from crotch as per BiG. BiG and Context measurements included for comparison.

momo.JPG

Pre-soak:

100OLYMP.jpg

Post-soak:

100OLYMP1.jpg

are you sure you bought them off BIG? you've got the white tab there.

Haha nice white tab!

White tabs are the way to go... By the way, not all models Momotaro's producing feature the white tab. The Copper Label for instance doesn't have them, but the Europe Label, which is very much alike the Copper Label line, considering cuts and details has them.

I got my pair of 0201 from a dutch store, so I actually got a white tabbed Vintage Label pair. And the Copper Labels which I received came directly from Japan, through Nordic Denim House.

I don't care that the Copper Label doesn't sport the white tab, since it's allready equiped with a hefty leather patch and dope arctuat. But nonetheless, the white tab is a nice detail.

By the way, if no one knew (but probably does), there's a peach on it.

There's two things that I've learned in my humble experience over the years:

1. Soak your jeans in water every month or two. This will not cause indigo or crease loss, and is the best thing you can do for healthy denim and to help good fading

2. Any other recommendations that you hear about are completely silly and circulated by amateurs

When they say "six months, no wash', they don't mean 'no soaking', they mean no washing machine. And I have no idea who "they" is, except maybe those APC bastards...

PS - dude in that article is a retard who needs to unlearn the "sachet of potpourri" drill and also needs to stop talking to amateur journalists who buy his shit at face-value because he obliquely works for Levis, (which does not make him an expert). Jesus. How much time is spent on SF helping denim heads to stop thinking these stupid recommendations are gospel?

There's two things that I've learned in my humble experience over the years:

1. Soak your jeans in water every month or two. This will not cause indigo or crease loss, and is the best thing you can do for healthy denim and to help good fading

2. Any other recommendations that you hear about are completely silly and circulated by amateurs

When they say "six months, no wash', they don't mean 'no soaking', they mean no washing machine. And I have no idea who "they" is, except maybe those APC bastards...

PS - dude in that article is a retard who needs to unlearn the "sachet of potpourri" drill and also needs to stop talking to amateur journalists who buy his shit at face-value because he obliquely works for Levis, (which does not make him an expert). Jesus. How much time is spent on SF helping denim heads to stop thinking these stupid recommendations are gospel?

I was strictly talking about the hanging them in the bathroom during a shower. No "sachet of popourri" here. I like my denim to be a bit darker, that is why I am not crazy about the idea of a wash early and often.

I may do a soak, just going to see how these go for awhile. It would be hard to show on a camera but there has definitely been some changes since hanging during a shower. I bet they soak up quite a bit of water from the steam and over a month's time of that, it might be near a soak...I wonder. Plus, the steam definitely freshens them up.

PS...I understand you are from Philly but are you sure you are really just not angry?

I don't understand this 'washing-fobia' for lack of a better word, look at lightning magazines pictures, there are some sweet jeans in there and most of them are being washed on a regular basis, once every month or every two months...

Ryo also told me once, when breaking in a new pair, he wears them for about a month or two without washing (except for the initial soak/wash) and then washes them basically whenever it's needed, every month or so...

I don't understand this 'washing-fobia' for lack of a better word, look at lightning magazines pictures, there are some sweet jeans in there and most of them are being washed on a regular basis, once every month or every two months...

Ryo also told me once, when breaking in a new pair, he wears them for about a month or two without washing (except for the initial soak/wash) and then washes them basically whenever it's needed, every month or so...

This is true, I think. From my understandig regarding Jap denim these things are dyed more thoroughly than let's say Nudie. So a "premature" wash wouldn't bother them.

But for breaking in, I think everyone needs their own time for it, because it is equivalent of the amount of wear you put in to it. Let's say a construction worker would have his jeans broken in sooner than someone who works at a desk. So in question to not washing for an x amount of time, everyone has his own reason to do so.

Never the less, I share your opinion on the washing-fobia. Water never hurts denim but I can understand if someone isn't eager to wash right away.