Jump to content
Klaas

Japan Blue Momotaro

Recommended Posts

On 11/7/2019 at 12:49 AM, japanalogue said:

For you Momotaro and Japan Blue fans, I've just put up my two-part interview of Hisao and Katsu Manabe if you're interested. Enjoy!

Part One

Part Two

This is some great writing and interviewing! As an early devoted Momo and Japan Blue fan, I came to appreciate their quiet devotion to modern, understated, well-made jeans free from any of the eye-catching experimentation of, say, Samurai (though def respect ).

My primary denim complaint over the years has been the very slow awakening of many of the 501-devoted old-school Osaka Five to the Western market demands for modern cuts like the 0306 tapered fit. I think many of us older denimheads have closets full of fits that we did our best to love on, but just couldn’t pull off. I know my own trial and error process with Momotaro (and every other Japanese brand out there) caused me to sell dozens of pairs (excluding those I sold because I got fatter)...

When Japan Blue was launched in ‘10, I watched Momotaro be one of the first Japanese brands to try innovating the Japanese denim market with new western cuts. Almost everyone followed suit in the next few years, even true old-school devotees like Pure Blue Japan and SD’A. Since slim taper cuts are the best for me this has been a goldmine of returning to previously avoided brands just because fits previously didn’t work for me.

I like that your interviews really reveal this hard work that Momotaro invested in western market research. Thanks for contributing that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I got these like 2/3 months ago but the seller wouldn't ship to UK so luckily my brother lives in Boston and he brought them back for me 

0605 - 18oz, supper dark and hairy with a "natural taper fit" 

 

MVIMG_20200102_153413.jpg

MVIMG_20200102_153423.jpg

MVIMG_20200102_153448.jpg

MVIMG_20200102_153315.jpg

MVIMG_20200102_153258.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice evo, great texture, chambo2008. You single handedly keep the Momo thread current!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, thanks I guess so, would be nice to see more of everyone else's :)

 

 

IMG_20200127_220058.jpg

IMG_20200127_220120.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 12:41 AM, mlyngard said:

This is some great writing and interviewing! As an early devoted Momo and Japan Blue fan, I came to appreciate their quiet devotion to modern, understated, well-made jeans free from any of the eye-catching experimentation of, say, Samurai (though def respect ).

My primary denim complaint over the years has been the very slow awakening of many of the 501-devoted old-school Osaka Five to the Western market demands for modern cuts like the 0306 tapered fit. I think many of us older denimheads have closets full of fits that we did our best to love on, but just couldn’t pull off. I know my own trial and error process with Momotaro (and every other Japanese brand out there) caused me to sell dozens of pairs (excluding those I sold because I got fatter)...

When Japan Blue was launched in ‘10, I watched Momotaro be one of the first Japanese brands to try innovating the Japanese denim market with new western cuts. Almost everyone followed suit in the next few years, even true old-school devotees like Pure Blue Japan and SD’A. Since slim taper cuts are the best for me this has been a goldmine of returning to previously avoided brands just because fits previously didn’t work for me.

I like that your interviews really reveal this hard work that Momotaro invested in western market research. Thanks for contributing that!

Thanks for the kind words! Stay tuned for an SDA interview in the near future. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A update on the super rare blue owl colab, needs a crotch repair so not being worn in rotation right now. 

 

 

IMG_20200127_220836.jpg

IMG_20200127_220822.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cooking my 0901s low and slow...just a few days a week here and there so they'll stay dark awhile for "nicer" occasions.

1408749277_IMG_3891copy.thumb.jpg.33a4c3b06f375c52cd54e19247d0ef37.jpg

Some cool pocket puckering; the fold at the top of the pocket opening seems filled in like a raised belt loop. 

731269248_IMG_3893copy.thumb.jpg.1b64a382f3aa9c6452009cf6606383bb.jpg

Roping hems courtesy of Indigo Proof.

904978777_IMG_3895copy.thumb.jpg.3d355d66cd07ff41d899baebb0be0646.jpg

1501681755_IMG_3896copy.thumb.jpg.4ae48c147ca0c9f687826c8240b74d8a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice MHE, my 0901s are my main pair too right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going out for a event tonight, thought I would wear my new black high tapered momotaro :ph34r:

IMG_20200229_183603.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, pre wash of the blue owl and momotaro 8th coloration indigo x black 

 

Colour is off in the last photo 

IMG_20200404_204607.jpg

IMG_20200404_204544.jpg

IMG_20200404_204615.jpg

IMG_20200404_204554.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there, 

I just bought online the 0605-SA GTB 18oz 

Are they a new model? I got the 701 vintage one and the 705GTB in Japan 2014 and now they both fit too tight size 31 so I bought these new ones size 33 and was wondering if the fit is very different from the old models.

thank you 
 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Duodequinquagesimus said:

Hi there, 

I just bought online the 0605-SA GTB 18oz 

Are they a new model? I got the 701 vintage one and the 705GTB in Japan 2014 and now they both fit too tight size 31 so I bought these new ones size 33 and was wondering if the fit is very different from the old models.

thank you 
 


 

0605 is of their western cut (higher rise, slimmer leg), introduced 2-3 years ago, so probably differ from the ones you had before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also a new (er) denim from momo. Your old pair is likely their usual 15.7 denim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dau said:

0605 is of their western cut (higher rise, slimmer leg), introduced 2-3 years ago, so probably differ from the ones you had before

Slimmer leg? I saw pics and they looked like the 0705 ones but with more room in the thighs. 

 


 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Duodequinquagesimus said:

Slimmer leg? I saw pics and they looked like the 0705 ones but with more room in the thighs. 

 

thigh/leg ratio slimmer, or can say more tapered (I choose fit and size not from waist, but from thighs, so me perception of fit bases on it)

Edited by dau

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely slimmer,much stronger taper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These have been sitting in my closet for about 8 years.

Worn for about 1 year 

0705SP I believe 

 

 

 

07F32372-E95D-466A-9590-1672BB8D1701.thumb.jpeg.499ddf2c57640f77efca16688ef37674.jpeg5B8CD578-F602-4450-A0A6-780BB4A1DF0A.thumb.jpeg.25f8d733cc9098ab5a30af8fb7b72850.jpeg2354F704-04DC-4473-A793-1C7174CA15EC.thumb.jpeg.37e702925ce10821700f53d90b7133b0.jpegCF20E6DF-A6F3-429E-A53C-9E674D55B06B.thumb.jpeg.9568b4dcc65640f5f91773d5fc471da7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lance said:

Nice work, olmecasteve 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, olmecasteve said:

Thanks 

Battle stripes held up really well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oris x Momotaro collab

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the 0605 SA GTB 18oz natural tapered. They are very comfortable and enough room in the upper part. I hope they don’t stretch much but if they do I would just bulk up my legs.

Should I soak, wash, no wash until when? 
My little experience with this was never wash them for 6 months and that’s what I used to do but that was years ago.

How do people get the mobile fade in the back pocket? Just curious. I know this will not fade easily ...

Thanks

Edited by Duodequinquagesimus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.....wash em when dirty and put your phone in your pocket.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always get wallet fade beacuse I keep it in my back pocket, but I would be worried sitting on my phone to achieve fade 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now