SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

How hard and how long should I stretch after a cold/hot soak...say if I want to try my best to regain the original inseam and/or waist on a pair of samurai s0110xj's? Since they are unsanforized they are going to shrink a crazy amount, I'm aware. I'm tall and like some anti-fit (no skinny or tight fitting denim for me).

After the shrink from the soak...how stubborn is the denim in terms of stretching back out from shrinkage? I've heard that Samurai's stretch the most out of the Japanese repro's...how long should I expect to do house chores before going back out into the world with the fit I prefer?

Thanks...

If you're going to get jeans tapered, then take the jeans in from the inseam, not the outseam! Don't let the tailor cut up the selvage outseam (unless you're getting something major done and altering the outseam is the only thing they can do).

Thank you GoodHustle, much appreciated.

Thinking about buying a pair of APC Hipsters (faded black) since they're on sale on APC's website. I'm usually a 29 or 30 (29 in Nudie & Iron Army, for example). What size would be right for me in Hipsters?

i don't have nudie and Iron Army. So it's not easy to answer you. I have actual waist of 31 and Hipster 28 fits me good. pretty snug in the thigh area.

totally off the topic but how do you know your jeans need a wash?

not interm of smell or dirt but in the sense of indigo loss and contrast of fading.

any information would be appreciated.

Buying S5000VXs.

Question: given their reputation for stretching, even for a raw jean, am I right to go with the smaller size if I'm pretty sure I'm in between two sizes?

My reasoning is to buy the smaller size is because I can always control my soaking-- either don't soak if they come way too tight (unlikely) or soak and wear to dry to make sure they can at least go on to my body, and then if they're too tight, wear around the house for awhile.

rainmaker: in example, if you were a size 33, go for a size 31/32 depending on how you like it, hot soak them for 3 hours, wear them, they'll be unbearable but they stretch. Thats what i did, fits nice.

Questiiion

for the selvedge, are there any qualities or negatives for the differences in the length of the selvedge ear other than just the length.. i've seen some very wide ears and some reallllly small lengths. is there a purpose? or just style?

rainmaker: in example, if you were a size 33, go for a size 31/32 depending on how you like it, hot soak them for 3 hours, wear them, they'll be unbearable but they stretch. Thats what i did, fits nice.

Thanks BTT. I'd answer your question if I could lol.

What/wear is my true size? All my jeans are in between 30-32..none tight in the waist, but that's probably from stretching. Judging from measurements, my height-weight.. I'm guessing I am about a 29.5 in S5000VXs. Was thinking that the right thing to do would be to buy 29s and wear them while they're wet/damp and get them to stretch.

Er I made a mistake, I misread it, I thought you wrote BK. I'm just tired been writing an essay....so ignore my initial post. The 5000VX does not stretch as much so do get your true size of 29 and when soaked, they are a bitch to shrink so coo.

someone help me thanks.

Questiiion

for the selvedge, are there any qualities or negatives for the differences in the length of the selvedge ear other than just the length.. i've seen some very wide ears and some reallllly small lengths. is there a purpose? or just style?

how do julian red hoboken sugars work? Are they kidna raw? Does the same concept apply? Oh and, i have them in waist size 29, and if i were to get 30, would the opening go up? Is there much of a difference in terms of stretching compared to no wash hobokens? Any info is appreciated. thanks!

it's just different widths of the looms that made the denim, i believe :)

Anyone have any info on the 45 RPM store in Soho doing denim repairs for non-45 RPM jeans? I think I saw some stuff posted about this a little while back, but I couldn't find it.

I've got some beautiful old 505s with big holes in the knees, just want to have someone good patch them up and make some other small repairs.

Anyone have any info on the 45 RPM store in Soho doing denim repairs for non-45 RPM jeans? I think I saw some stuff posted about this a little while back, but I couldn't find it.

I've got some beautiful old 505s with big holes in the knees, just want to have someone good patch them up and make some other small repairs.

i'm sure they do, they chainstitch other jeans....just call and ask, might cost some money though

How many tugs or how long/hard should I pull at the legs of my Samurai's post-soak to stretch the length back to normal/close-to-pre-soak?

ALso...how long does it usually take to drip dry/air dry heavy raw denim? I see that Poly mentioned something about wearing his during the "last hour of drying"...how do you know lol.

Haven't posted before, usually a lurker, but I just purchased a pair of APC New Standards in size 26 and I have a question concerning fit/tailoring. The waist is of course a bit tight, but the thighs are not as skinny as I want, as my thighs are very skinny, my calves not as much. So of course it looks a little strange and disproportional. Should I get these tailored as aren't they supposed to fit somewhat tight?

And of course the length is too long, as I am only 5'7, I usually wear jeans with a 30 inch inseam. If I took these to a tailor, how much inseam should I "save" because of honeycombs and shrinking? I soaked these in hot water last night for about an hour, was that enough to get most of the shrinking out of the way?

Too many questions, I know, but I don't want to clog up the other threads with my newbieness.

Get a pair of apc new cures instead. Getting jeans tailored above the knee is tricky business. Best not to try. If you want an actualy skinny fit, just size down 2 in new cures. The inseams on new cures seem to run a bit shorter. If you're only 5'7, you'll probably have to get them hemmed. If you wear a 30 inch inseam, go for a 32 or 33 inseam if you get them hemmed depending on how much stack you want. You can always have the tailor go down the 33 first, and if you don't like it still, go down to 32 or 31. But apc new standards are not skinny jeans, they're more slim fit. For slim thighs get new cures.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic