SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I recently got 2 new pairs of jeans and they need hemming.

- Sugarcane SEXSC02

- JB x Momo 0701

I was thinking of having the canes' hems chainstiched properly and doing the 0701s myself on a sewing machine.

Any opinions, thoughts or recommendations?

Is it ok to not chainstich the JB 0701 or would that be considered a 'deadly sin' ?

yes only paypal or bank transfer first. too many fake credit cards around I assume.

the issue with the squares: your e-mail program doesn't seem to be able to show kanji.

got the same problem with my primary e-mail account so i use another provider for dealing in japanese

Thanks.....looks like s7000vx is pre order and will be delivered in april. Im using livedoor translation service

http://livedoor-translate.naver.jp

Edited by spidereye

My size 33 WG LHTs fit me perfectly right out of the box.

I have a 36" waist and 12.5" thighs.

How should I size a pair of APC NS?

I was thinking of getting a size 34 (36 waist, 12 thigh).

Would the 12 thigh stretch out enough to become a 12.5? And would the 36 waist stretch out to a 37, and make it too big for me?

So, I had just bought a pair of Left Field Nisshinbo Mills 15oz Selvedge Denim from the thrift store today.

Almost impeccable condition, no fades and wasn't washed yet. Let's just say I got it for dirt DIRT cheap.

So, I'm a complete nood to these jawnz. How would I go about hemming these, as they are just a size too big?

Is there a completely different process than hemming jeans normally?

Sorry for the newbie question, just wanted to get it straight before I start!

I recently got 2 new pairs of jeans and they need hemming.

- Sugarcane SEXSC02

- JB x Momo 0701

I was thinking of having the canes' hems chainstiched properly and doing the 0701s myself on a sewing machine.

Any opinions, thoughts or recommendations?

Is it ok to not chainstich the JB 0701 or would that be considered a 'deadly sin' ?

It won't be deadly, but your jeans will probably only ever look good from above the hem. Why not just have them both chainstitched? They're nice (and expensive) jeans and you're only going to save ~$15 by hemming them yourself...

On the hunt for a pair of slim straight (not skinny or too slim) denim. I have worn the Samurai S710XX... looking for something similar, but maybe with a little more room in the thighs. Also, if they have any interesting denim characteristics (heavier weight, slubbiness, etc), that will be a plus. Any recommendations?

hi everybody, any advice would be greatly appreciated:

I have two pairs of raw jeans, one of which I want to go the high contrast route, the other a more vintage route.

Up to this point they are both 3.5 months old and have been treated the same. I've washed once, and when I say wash I mean warm soak in clean water with a little agitation, followed by couple of cold rinses and then a hang dry with a 15 minute wear once they've stopped dripping to cement the creases. So far so good. I'm thinking now is the time to start diverging the two.

I plan to keep the contrast fade one going on the same regimen for up to nine months, maybe getting a total of 3 'washes' in this time. But the 'vintage pair' I'm thinking to differ - I'm thinking to "wash" monthly but with some "whites white and brights brighter", powdered, bleach containing laundry soap. What's your opinion on this?

My perspective is this: Maintain creases at all costs!!! That means, hand wash and never ever use the machine's spin cycle! My rational is 'that [sic] if creases can be maintained, ataris shall ensue', as the prophet says.

My second question, a difficult one, is; will the aforementioned washing powder degrade creases during a 'soak and hand wash' session?

éžå¸¸æ„Ÿè°¢

P.S The jeans are red cloud and can be seen in the red cloud thread. The ones I want to take vintage are the R400's.

Edited by gregornz

So, I had just bought a pair of Left Field Nisshinbo Mills 15oz Selvedge Denim from the thrift store today.

Almost impeccable condition, no fades and wasn't washed yet. Let's just say I got it for dirt DIRT cheap.

So, I'm a complete nood to these jawnz. How would I go about hemming these, as they are just a size too big?

Is there a completely different process than hemming jeans normally?

Sorry for the newbie question, just wanted to get it straight before I start!

what the. where the hell is this thrift store!?

might as well answer you Q - yeah those LF jawnz feature a chainstitch hem. stay true to it. there isn't a place close by that will do it - you gotta send it out. see if self edge or brooklyn denim co. will do it for ya.

what the. where the hell is this thrift store!?

might as well answer you Q - yeah those LF jawnz feature a chainstitch hem. stay true to it. there isn't a place close by that will do it - you gotta send it out. see if self edge or brooklyn denim co. will do it for ya.

Or:

BiG in NYC

Blue Owl workshop in Washington State

Raleigh Denim in North Carolina

Railcar in California

AB Fits in SF

I think!

To answer my own question:

I did a 'wash' with bleach, and the answer to 'does laundry powder degrade creases' is: In the long term YES, in the short term NO.

The laundry powder, due to the bleach and whatever else, does remove the starch-and-whatever-other-stuff-makes-denim-rigid as well as the indigo. Based on what I saw today, after 5 washes the starch et al would all be gone... i.e no more combs 'n shit.

I guess per le retrospection this was already apparent to me after viewing ryu's blog - his jeans are wicked to be sure, but his honeyK's usually suck... a sore sign that there has either been a lot of bleach, or some spin dying in play... no?

Everybody must get high [reach for the top, don't stop].

Edited by gregornz

I'm sure this will be lost in the swamp of this thread but here goes:

If I washed a pair of jeans at say 30C ten times over a given period, I'm pretty sure they'd stop shrinking after a few washes. However if I then washed them at 60C, would they shrink further, as much as if I'd washed them at 60C initially?

My guess is no, they probably wouldn't shrink further and if that's correct, then at what stage do they stop shrinking when washed at a low temperature and why?

Howdy, first post here and its a question so I hope this is the right place for it.

I'm a kinda tall guy at 181cm, but I wear a pretty long inseam. I also really love a nice stacked look, and a little cuff now and again for certain shoes/jeans.

The problem is that many of these jeans shrink so much in length after a wash that I can barely get any stacking going at all, and a cuff practically make them look like highwaters.

I have some strike gold jawnz which have ended up at about 36" from what I think was supposed to be 38" (I didn't measure when I first got them), and they're alright. The fit is actually perfect, I wear them all the time, though for the look I wish they were a bit longer.

Are there any specific brands or styles y'all can point me to that end up with inseams 38" or longer after a wash/soak or whatever?

I've looked in the few places I know of and the options are bleak, I've only found one and its not really my style for other reasons.

Edited by Daniel Moore

I had almost decided to buy a pair of Samurai S510XX 21 OZ because I wanted to try something new (really heavy that is), but now I dont know how much I would wear them. A different colour would probably be more interesting in terms of broadening my wardrobe.

So then I thought about something double dyed, like Momotaro ER007 and PBJ xx-009 (I dont like the look of faded black denim). But those cuts are too tight in the thighs for me.

Question:

Is there/has there been a looser straight cut with denim like those I've mentioned?

Q: can anyone shed some insight/personal preference on PBJ vs Somet?

I moved to NYC a few weeks ago and went to look at the heralded BiG. Was not impressed with the customer service/helpfulness of the staff. And I've wanted to visit BiG for a few years now.

Anyway, tried on xx-007s which I've been eyeing for years and they also showed me Somet 008. They seemed to fit relatively similar and are priced about the same. Please arm me with some insight for my next visit if possible kthanx

Kind of off topic but.....

Can anyone explain what bridle leather is?

Isn't that like part of what's used to saddle horses? It prob has specific strentgh specifications... I think the bridle is the part that attaches to a horses mouth?

so...im sure we all have seen at least one picture of someone wearing their denim inside out...just wondering (since i own PBJ purplefaces) what would happen if say i wore my pbj's for 1 year, washed them, and wore them inside out 1 year??

so...im sure we all have seen at least one picture of someone wearing their denim inside out...just wondering (since i own PBJ purplefaces) what would happen if say i wore my pbj's for 1 year, washed them, and wore them inside out 1 year??

I've never seen anyone wearing their jeans inside out. If you did wear them inside out for one year then you would probably end up with fading/indigo retention in the opposite parts of your jeans. Imo, if you're gonna wear your jeans funny, then just get totaly crossed out with it and wear 'em backwards.

I have a pair of 501 stfs and I like them but I wish they were a little slimmer fitting so I have a few questions:

How far up the outseam can they be taken in?

Is it a realistic option to pay a tailor to do this instead of buying a smaller pair?

Has anyone ever actually done this and if so, how did it go?

I've been wearing them for 2 months since the first and only soak and I like how they are turning out so far. I want to keep the straight fit because 20 years of playing hockey and soccer and then 10 more of drinking beer and not playing hockey and soccer have made my legs and butt-ocks too big for any kind of taper. Cheers!

edit: just to clarify, these are non-selvedge.

Edited by Capt_Spaulding

I've never seen anyone wearing their jeans inside out. If you did wear them inside out for one year then you would probably end up with fading/indigo retention in the opposite parts of your jeans. Imo, if you're gonna wear your jeans funny, then just get totaly crossed out with it and wear 'em backwards.

LOL. I'm thinking of wearing my jeans upside down for six months. Everything will fall out of my pockets, but the fades will be intense.

Is there any way to stop fading? I have a pair of n&f lht weird guys and i want it to keep its dark indigo color and not turn light blue after a year or so. Is there a way to lock in the color but still wear it?

I think the best solution is buy a pair of washed jeans that look like they are raw. Ya can't stop fading [as far as I'm aware].

Edited by gregornz

anyone know where to get a good pair of slim/skinny fitting black pants? i was thinking rogue territory but i'm not sure of the sizing (if anyone has the measurements, they'd be much appreciated) and the left fields on big are sold out in my size. i'd probably be 28-29 inch waist

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic