Roy Big Bro 2 - aka Roy World Tour Round 2

FeloniousMonk

Holio, your post from Dec 2 made me go and pick up some Marmite from one of the British groceries in town for the first time in years. Damn had I missed the stuff, we've run through almost a third of the pot so far... The girlfriend is also a fan, so it might be a new staple of the household.

If there was a way to find really sharp cheddar, the proper kind with a sour tinge and bits of crystalized salt, and some onion chutney this would be absolutely perfect. (You can find good cheddar around, but it'll be quite pricey at a specialty cheese shop rather than just picking up a small block of the extra sharp at the nearest Sainsburys for a few pounds)

Thanks for reminding me of this magical tar, now I'll never be short of vitamin B again!

Holio, your post from Dec 2 made me go and pick up some Marmite from one of the British groceries in town for the first time in years. Damn had I missed the stuff, we've run through almost a third of the pot so far... The girlfriend is also a fan, so it might be a new staple of the household.

If there was a way to find really sharp cheddar, the proper kind with a sour tinge and bits of crystalized salt, and some onion chutney this would be absolutely perfect. (You can find good cheddar around, but it'll be quite pricey at a specialty cheese shop rather than just picking up a small block of the extra sharp at the nearest Sainsburys for a few pounds)

Thanks for reminding me of this magical tar, now I'll never be short of vitamin B again!

My dad makes a great Chutney, and I'm spoiled for cheese with one of the best delis ever nearby. I know what you're saying about the cheddar. You want something that takes a layer of skin from the roof of your mouth. That's good cheddar as far as I'm concerned. The UK gets a bad rep for it's food culture, some of it's deserved and some not. Make's me wonder what's the best and worst that people have experienced from any given place (no rules - pick a place that sticks in your memory and tell me - if it's in the UK all the better)?

I'll start it off, and go with the UK, just because:

Best: The Golden Galleon Aldeburgh - Fish and Chips because what's more English than decent, fresh fish, battered and served with crisp, fatty potato? Best eaten whilst sat on the pebble beach looking out over the north sea on a crisp early autumn day. A pint of Adnams to go with it wouldn't hurt either. Doing this never gets old and is always a reliable pleasure.

Worst: The White Hart - my hometown in Essex. Linguini with walnuts and mascarpone. Not a match made in heaven, and a dish so simple that it really didn't need to be pre-prepared (as it clearly was) and nuked to sludge in a microwave. English chef - italian (inspired) food not for the win on this occasion.

Anyone else want to play?

My dad makes a great Chutney, and I'm spoiled for cheese with one of the best delis ever nearby. I know what you're saying about the cheddar. You want something that takes a layer of skin from the roof of your mouth. That's good cheddar as far as I'm concerned. The UK gets a bad rep for it's food culture, some of it's deserved and some not. Make's me wonder what's the best and worst that people have experienced from any given place (no rules - pick a place that sticks in your memory and tell me - if it's in the UK all the better)?

I'll start it off, and go with the UK, just because:

Best: The Golden Galleon Aldeburgh - Fish and Chips because what's more English than decent, fresh fish, battered and served with crisp, fatty potato? Best eaten whilst sat on the pebble beach looking out over the north sea on a crisp early autumn day. A pint of Adnams to go with it wouldn't hurt either. Doing this never gets old and is always a reliable pleasure.

Worst: The White Hart - my hometown in Essex. Linguini with walnuts and mascarpone. Not a match made in heaven, and a dish so simple that it really didn't need to be pre-prepared (as it clearly was) and nuked to sludge in a microwave. English chef - italian (inspired) food not for the win on this occasion.

Anyone else want to play?

I'll join in on this game. As I was in China this summer, that's the location I will pick.

The Best: In Xi'an, I found a small local noodle shop with the biggest portion sizes I have ever seen. Deliciously spicy, the right amount of oil, veggies, and meat as well. All for $2. The other best meal I had was the classic Peking duck in Beijing, crispy, fatty, oily, and great with the toppings they give you. The chef brings it out and carves it in front of you.

The worst: The worst thing I had to eat was rabbit head. I'm not sure why I decided to try it, and the taste wasn't awful, but I couldn't get over what it looked like.

^ sounds grim. how was it cooked? Boiled? and served whole or chopped? and I have to ask... brain inside? 

I've had some great and not so great food experiences in China. My standout low was 'noodle soup' though, which was literally just the water that the noodles were boiled in. I ate (drank) it like a good guest of course. Unexpected high in China was 'bees' which were actually some kind of hornet larvae, but were actually delicious (deep fried).

About time I said something new about these jeans I guess. Obviously 2/3 weeks isn't a huge amount of time to start developing fades, and I want to save the progress bit for my last thread, but for the first time in what seems like decades we had some actual sun today, so an opportunity to get a look at the texture of this denim. Here are a couple of gratuitous crotch shots which I think highlight the texture quite well. A little hairy (the denim, quite regular and these pictures exaggerate massively the contrast, but you can see how the fades will come through. Disclaimer, I usually save trainers for running purposes only, but my feet are feeling f**ked lately so I'm treating them to a cushioned sole for the day, Don't judge me...

31655007342_081d93ab86_z.jpg

30992870613_2f915ee92e_z.jpg

Finally a little something culinary for Volvo, who, ages ago wrote about this delicious dish, and I finally got around to making. Prizes (in the form of kudos) for those that can guess what it is. Easy to make, although I suspect rather more difficult to make well. This one was ok, but it came out a little plain. I think more salt pepper and maybe some rosemary and garlic would lift it to the next level...

31802465925_6a3fe2eca2_z.jpg

Great updates Hoolio. You have to do the 20s TCB next year.  Nice Leica - M3? I miss mine. And my black M4. And I can't find anyone to repair my CL.

We were at Blackman's last Sunday buying my son a new pair of Docs. It's a regular haunt and we get different insults every year. last year it was feigned sympathy about Deptford comprehensives. This time it was "your two grand at Eton doesn't get you much now, does it?"

The nipper's sorted his mum's Christmas pressie. I think it will be the big success of Christmas. Personalised Marmite jar.

Edited by Paul T

Thank God is not a Focaccia as it would look like a rather desperate attempt at it!!!

Some sort of farinata or cecina with chick peas flour I'd say. Mighty thick for a farinata though. Usually it's thin, oily and deliciously moist.

Try again! Haha!

I concur with Paul T, you should get in the tcb 20's contest and provide us with a steady supply of that Marmite style life updates and British bastardized versions of Italian recipes!!! Haha!!!

^this. Farinata is what it is meant to be. Maybe not quite as thick as it looks the angle is funny but I'd say it was around 15-20 mm thick. I liked it enough to have another go. I will keep you posted Volvo. I think less time in the oven next time and (if its possible) maybe a hotter oven too.

Thank God is not a Focaccia as it would look like a rather desperate attempt at it!!!

Some sort of farinata or cecina with chick peas flour I'd say. Mighty thick for a farinata though. Usually it's thin, oily and deliciously moist.

Try again! Haha!

I concur with Paul T, you should get in the tcb 20's contest and provide us with a steady supply of that Marmite style life updates and British bastardized versions of Italian recipes!!! Haha!!!

See. I love that. Italians. Such a laid-back good-time nation but you better get the food damn right.

Ok I found another recipe now, this time with pictures. Will have another go at the weekend now I know what it's supposed to look like. Judging by what I read, this one was also cooked way too long. Depending on how it comes out I may or may not post pictures for approval for authenticity. I'm guessing it's going to be great with a healthy scraping of marmite on top ;-)

Now I remember I've posted some photos of farinata way back. It's quite hard to make it properly at home as you need the oven to be extremely high temperature.

You need a very low baking tray too.

Good luck!

Happy holidays, everyone!

Holio, there was no firm plan on who the jeans should go to next. If anyone in Europe/UK wants to join and take the jeans for February, please raise your hand now because it would save quite a bit on postage and tariffs vs them leaving the continent then coming back.

Otherwise, the minimal postage solution would be to send them out to the Asia/Pac contingent now, followed by only one journey to North America. Louisbosco and cungster: would January / February / March timing work for you two, and would either of you prefer to go first?

And finally, we should probably have a volunteer from the North America contingent in case it's not a good time for Bosco or cungster. Anyone? Bueller?

feb or sept 2017 is a good time for me. will be taking some leave off work in feb to go over melbourne and stuff. sept will be a europe trip.. so i think it depends if it should come around APAC first or head to the US since most participants are there.. 

edit. if it goes to singapore now, cungster might even save on shipping only IF my mate is coming back at the end of january. don't think i'll be heading back to sg anytime soon..

PS Merry Christmas Lads!

Edited by louisbosco

Merry Christmas all. These will be ready to post out January 3rd and will most likely take 3-5 days to get wherever they are going. So louisbosco or cungster feel free to fight it out ;-) there's some time to decide what works. I'm easy about where they go to.

Wait, sorry, I'm being a tit, but are these going to cungster? Whoever is expecting them, drop me a pm and I will get them on their way next year ;-)

Edited by holio cornolio

Been a bit remiss on the posting front of late. But the Roy's are now packaged and waiting to be collected by TNT.

For some reason I am in the habit of keeping a coin in the coin pocket. I think my mother in law once said it was lucky to put a coin in your pocket on new years eve and keep it there for the year, so I've left a 2016 20p coin in the coin pocket. Also, as a guitarist, I am in the habit of always having a plectrum in my pocket, so I thought I'd also pass that on too. Hopefully they'll be with Cungster in the next few days.  

I have some pics to post when I get a moment. Late December has treated us to lots of misty weather in my neck of the woods and I've managed to get some reasonably nice shots of my local environs and some of my walking haunts. Love the mist, will update in a bit, but I'm looking forward to seeing the dramatic contrast between the cold and mist of Rural England and their new temporary home :-)

well you've got to remind me to put the coin back in there after i'm through. these coin pockets, they're for my zippo. always need to have a lighter for my ciggy.

edit: on a seperate note, i wonder if it's intriguing to add little knick knacks on from each contestant till the end?

Edited by louisbosco