Denim World Championship - SuFu Division

Max Power

Short answer, yes.  Long answer, depends on the make and model.  

+1 

Top loading washing machines "typically" have a central agitator, front loaders do not, ever. There are some top loaders now that do not have an agitator. Different machines will have different, read more or less, options for spin speed, type of wash cycle, etc. 

The agitator is the large plastic spindle with fins in the middle of the machine that spins back and forth, one two steps forward, one step back action. This is the device that gets clothes clean, and it's also what wreaks clothes. Not just jeans, all clothes take a beating by an agitator. 

Ever heard the saying "she's got washboard abs!"? Obviously that comes from the comparison to a real washboard, which was used to wash clothing prior to the invention of washing machines. The agitator is the modern interpretation. Abrade anything and it will eventually break down. 

In my view, jeans are more susceptible to adverse effects of an agitator because denim is generally a heavy, dense, stiff fabric, and Japanese denim in particular is usually designed to loose dye, thus creating fades. The agitator rubs back and forth on jeans, and may cause unwanted wear patterns. Once your jeans are soaking in the machine, it's possible for them to develop creases and folds just by the nature of being in a confined drum, and the edges of the folds get the dye rubbed off. 

Spin cycles, regardless of the type of machine, work on a centrifuge action. The drum spin rapidly and compresses the clothing tighter and tighter against the perforated wall of the drum to squeeze water out. Compression leads to folds and creases in unnatural ways, and again the edges of the folds and creases can have dye worn off. The folds and creases may also be visible after the jeans have dried completely, and ironing may be necessary (GASP!). 

Currently my washing method is a front loader, hand wash cycle, no spin drain only (or sometimes just the lowest spin speed possible to get the majority of water out without compressing and creasing the fabric) and hang until dry (either outside in nice weather or on a towel over the top of a door). The hand wash cycle doesn't do a great job of cleaning - it's very gentle. If my jeans are really dirty or have ground in dirt spots on the knees, etc. the hand wash cycle won't get those areas perfectly clean. 

IMO, other than an agitator beating up on clothes, washing machines without an agitator and used with a low speed spin do not damage jeans by weakening the fabric, stitching, etc. That's an urban myth and nonsense. They may create undesirable fading, but that's not really damage that will affect the life span of the garment. 

It was 4 degrees C today, can't do it in a denim jacket.

My denim jacket is my winter jacket. Last year even in -35, albeit with two or three layers on underneath. But I also can't afford to buy a nice winter jacket. But don't need to in the climate I am in now

Theoretically, yes. But that thing is super stiff and I prefer comfy clothes. It's not just about the fades. And as I have a soft addiction to flannels, they are my choice for layering.

Did a gentle wool program wash this morning - seems like it worked out fine, no visible creases.

@setterman. i never experienced anything like that. surprisingly it was the contrary for me. with the clothes i wash in top load, i don't have much wash options to choose from, whereas my front load give me an array of options from wash type, rinse amount, spin speed to temperature of water.

@mpukas well, you method is the usual method i'd wash my jeans. low spin to a minimum, couple rinses and temperature of water. well eventually i guess there's no correct methods but to each our own beliefs in washing and what's worked out for us. kudos to your explanation, i've learn new stuff about washing machines that i'd never knew.

@setterman. i never experienced anything like that. surprisingly it was the contrary for me. with the clothes i wash in top load, i don't have much wash options to choose from, whereas my front load give me an array of options from wash type, rinse amount, spin speed to temperature of water.

I have all those options with our new top loader (wash type, temp, load size, extra rinse), just no control over spin speed. That's dictated by wash type (whites, bulky, regular, permanent press, delicate, etc).  

The problem with the old front loader was it didn't use much water, and just flopped the clothes around.  IMO, it didn't get garments clean. I know the top loader uses a more water, but we have our own well, so we don't care.  

jawnz at 155 wears now. it feels like the fading begins to speed up. probably because of the soak and i began wearing them harder. 

RC5M-1.jpg

RC5M-2.jpg

RC5M-3.jpg

RC5M-4.jpg

RC5M-5.jpg

RC5M-6.jpg

here's the bar tack i had a tailor put at the fly because it was tearing and breaking. works better now. 

RC5M-7.jpg

Edited by DhaDha

Haven't really posted any updates but not much going on. Got a new phone and wanted to try out the camera (but lighting is terrible). Samurai S0500 ~4 months, 2 washes (plus constantly getting soaked at work). I stopped wearing these for a while because I couldn't stand the fit but got them tapered a few months back and they've been good so far!

20p53dc.jpg

2ln9zs8.jpg

November 2015 update

I was planning to take photos on some grass but the lighting was coming in a weird angle so I struggled for a while trying to figure out how and where to take photos of my suit. Personally i feel like these photos don't do much justice, but I'm planning on snapping some fits pics with my girlfriend as we both got some new threads over the weekend :D (she got a pair of red clouds and I picked up a shirt to add to my denim tux).

So I tried my best, enjoy :)

Sidenote: I totally forgot to snap photos of the amazing repair work of Rain from darn-it! I'll try to get some photos of the repair this afternoon

DSC_0693_zpsgo8xwdhc.jpgDSC_0711_zpsypehobpn.jpg

Okay so the story behind the smeared paint on the coin pocket:

I went down to LA to play for a good friends first art show, and that night we drank..... a lot. So he whips out his paint supplies and gets to painting and I join him. So there I was painting and what not, then i dipped my finger in the paint then straight up just smeared it onto my coin pocket. In the moment its seemed like a good idea, but the next morning i woke up kind of regretting it, yet i really like it right now because it's also  a clear reminder of that trip. 

DSC_0698_zps6jzmqs92.jpg

DSC_0702_zpsoc0apwpe.jpg

DSC_0715_zpsalywuupf.jpg

DSC_0716_zps27zzbj6g.jpg

DSC_0737_zpspyppztrx.jpg

Edited by KrisB

DSC_0731_zpsp9st38mq.jpg

DSC_0732_zpsiwr4feav.jpg

DSC_0733_zpsj379vlzc.jpg

I wish i had some type of macro lens so i can show you guys how the "in-betweens" of the shitches are fading. The thread I used on the design was the biggest that I could find and it's typically used for leatherworking. And in case you guys didn't know, I did all the thread work on the back: i dont think I ever clearly stated that so yeah :)

DSC_0727_zps0ivbc1be.jpg

Last but not least, my shirt: IHSH-99

DSC_0744_zpsfjj19wt3.jpg

I couldn't get a decent photo of this shirt on the rose terrace so I just threw it on to the ground. I'll get a more accurate photo of it later today :)

Edited by KrisB

i'm jealous of you guys who live in temperate climate. i can't rock anything thicker than 10oz. 

Where do you live?  I live in Florida in the US and we just had a record breaking week with the high being 90 on Monday this week.  I can only hope Winter strikes back as hard as Summer has hit us.